Breaking Rods

Wantingaboat

Hi All,

I know this is probably a simple question that i may well know the answer to already but.... If i had say a rod rated to 8kg and i put 30 pound braid on the reel and i tightened the drag all the way would the rod snap. Now i know if i had the drag backed off it probably would handle it but the reason i ask is i have a great bream rod 2-4kg and a pretty good overhead 15-24kg but my rod in between sucks. Its a beast of a thing(very thick and heavy) but only rated 5-8kg i think, Penn made rod and reel loaded with 20pd braid, very heavy and i am no Arny. It has caught kings by just being left in the rod holder but if i wanted to chuck around some 7inch jerk shads or like it wears me out pretty quickly. I do actually like the rod but other than sitting in a rod holder its pretty useless. I like the look of the raider series by shimano but if my memory serves me correctly they are only rated to 8 or 10kg max for the barra model. I wanted to put a 3000 or 4000 sized reel with 30 pound on it but not if i am going to snap it in half. Any advice raiders???

Cheers Mike.

......I wanted to put a 3000 or 4000 sized reel with 30 pound on it but not if i am going to snap it in half. Any advice raiders???

Cheers Mike.

Take the 4000 reel along with you and just buy a suitable ugly stik lite that feels good in your hands on the 4000 weighted to suit the maximum casting weight and you'll find the same ugly stik will handle a little better on the lighter 3000 as you go down in casting weight..... There is also good value for money in an ugly stik and you get a very long genuine guarantee against breakage ... My ugly stiks are older American models and the guarantees are either 10 years or a lifetime on some of the models over here, but I'm not sure of that and the guarantee is worth checking for yourself...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Jewgaffer you should be asleep preparing the fishing machine body of yours for the op but if your awake then......or if any others have good advice - what is a very light weight ugly stick rated to at least 8kg? I seem to be obsessed with 7 footers but i am told these are too long for boats. Maybe subconsciously i am trying to compensate for something. I dont believe its too long for the fishing that i do. Maybe if i was fighting a yellow fin but i wont be.

7ft is not too long for a boat, i have the 7"6' raider and use it every now and then without an issue. The extra length can be good for getting troublesome fish away from motors and boat hulls as well as obviously being softer with that extra length will mean that there is less pressure on the fish and therefore less chance of pulling hooks.

You won't snap the rod provided you don't overload it with too heavier drag. I fish 50lb on 15kg rods without an issue.

Whats your budget for the new rod?

Cheers

Josh

I guess i dont want to spend too much. In the past month and a half i have bought a live fibre 15-24kg overhead, a shimano tyrnos 16, a daiwa sol 2000 and a team advantage 2-4kg. Now i am no Bill Gates so my cash is fairly scarce so will try and keep this a bit cheaper than those combos. I say that now but show me a few pictures of good rods like i want and i crumble. I have been reading past posts from Slinky and his flair for quality rods and reels has no bounds. I wanted to team up the rod with a symetre 3000 i think. Most people think these are reasonable reels???? Mike.

The Symmetre is a decent reel, they released the new version of it last year and have made imrovements on the previous version and what ive heard from people who have them is that they're happy.

As for a rod a Daiwa Tierra for $155 could be a good option or you could look at the Berkley Dropshot range rods range from $100-$300

Jewgaffer you should be asleep preparing the fishing machine body of yours for the op but if your awake then......or if any others have good advice - what is a very light weight ugly stick rated to at least 8kg? I seem to be obsessed with 7 footers but i am told these are too long for boats. Maybe subconsciously i am trying to compensate for something. I dont believe its too long for the fishing that i do. Maybe if i was fighting a yellow fin but i wont be.

Mike I have to hurriedly answer your query before I get ready to go in for the back op this morning, so I hope this helps...... 7 foot rods are a handy size to use in a boat in general and 6'6" is a good length when you are working at close quarters and doing a lot casting.... when you're talking 3000 size reels, 4000's, 30lb braid and 7 inch jerk shads, I think two separate rods would fit the bill.... I use an ugly stk light for a 3000 and a S/phere Intercoastal rated for 16lbs line rating for the 4000... these rods are sensitive rods with a nice action within the lead or casting weights, and they are well in there among the "unbreakables" your'e worried about, but they are primarily American rods... However I've seen Lites over here and near enough to the equivalent of the Intercoastal in the Asian mades nowadays.... Why don't you give Go Fish Pete a ring and get his advice on it? It's just that ugly stik have a versatile range of rods and are up there among the best of them as far as I'm concerned, but reality comes into it and, compared to some of the others, they are great value for money, no risk about that...

Cheers :thumbup:

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Mike,

I have a shimano snapper raider matched with a 4000 diawa advantage reel and loaded with 20lb sunline. I use this when spinning for kings and find it to be great for the job!

It can cast a lure a mile with that extra length and has a decent amount of stopping power on a tight drag when poppering near structure.

Doug.