Is It A Eel Or A Fish!

LGF

Question

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help me identify this fish or Eel, My mates and i have been racking our brains and the internet :( in search of what this is???

We caught a heap of these whilst anchored under the hawkesbury river rail bridge on Sat 4th about 11pm.

I suggested it was a Eel of some kind but my mate was adimate that it was a fish as it couldn't tie it self into knots as do normal eels when they get caught.

Also whist here, i just wanna say fishraider is a AWESOME site, been reading the reviews for a while now but only just got off my butt joined! hehe

Thanks all, hope someone can clear this up for my mates and i... :1prop:

Edited by LGF

16 answers to this question

Its a pike eel for sure, they have a silvery blue tinge when caught at night.

the eels that tie themselves in knots are moray eels. Most eels caught in the Hawkesbury such as pike and short/long finned eels dont do the knot escape mode, which does work occasionally (lost a massive moray atleast a metre and felt about 3-4kg in the harbour).

Simmo

Edited by Simmo

quick question about this fish, are these the pike that are good jew bait that can be caught in lake macquarie?

No, but I'd love to see someone try and put a hook through a Pike Eel's back and use it for live bait.

The Long Finned Pike is the one used for live bait not the Pike Eel.

Long Finned Pike: http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/dlewini.htm

Doesn't look like a pike eel to me either. Here's a headshot of a pike eel from the net.

post-7134-1240401330_thumb.jpg

Anyone know if the species from the original post are good eating (not the pike eel in my post)? I've caught them going for jewies.

I know some cultures that dig a bit of eel. Seem to have a firm flesh to them and a decent amount of meat too.

Yea they are the normal eel but i think it has got to do with water clarity

They may be that color in cleaner water since i do catch eel exactly like that color at lilli pilli and jibbon beach but was i head in more towards swallow rock and audley where the water is brackish the eels are darker in color

I also hav a question i cannot tell the difference between a longfinned eel and a short finned eel??

Caught a couple of this slimy eels last time at Hawkebury. One basically unhooked itself and fell behind my petrol tank and couldnt find it. Got home removed 1 part of the floor and it stunk big time just after 4 hrs and it smelt like it was there for a week.

I hate those eels. BIG TIME

dosent look anything like a pikeie to me more like a short finned eel. fibbo try my method the eels dont even get near me i hold the line in one hand and a sharp knife to chop em in half with the other:P

I used to think like that too, but every living thing has a purpose, im sure the Eel wasnt designed for people to chop its head off :wacko: