Landbased Parramatta River Jewfish 23/04/09

toyrnr

Good day raiders,

I caught this Mulloway yesterday morning on a favourite wharf of mine on the Parramatta River on a butterflied yellowtail. The fish picked up the bait at 3.00am and took off like a rocket then stopped for a couple of seconds obviously to swollow the bait. Then it swam off slowly, thats when i tightened the drag and striked. Bang i was hooked on! The fish took about 50 metres of line in its next powerful run. During the fight it was going for shorter but still powerful runs and the fish was making me run up and down the wharf like a mad man. I had no clue what it was and 15 minutes later when i saw a mulloway come out from the darkness in front of the wharf i was like WHAT THE HELL!!! Its funny because i was trying all night to get some yellowtail and tailor for bait with no success, which usually isn't the case, and the only yellowtail i caught that night was the one that got me the jewfish. The bait wasn't in the water for longer then 15 minutes and it got smashed by a Jewfish.

Cheers

Nick :biggrin2:

post-8006-1240457772_thumb.jpg

post-8006-1240457795_thumb.jpg

post-8006-1240457811_thumb.jpg

Edited by MALLIOS

Well done on the schoolie Mallios. :thumbup:

If it's where I'm thinking the park to the right of that wharf also produces jew very early or very late in the day. In other words before the ferries start or after they have finished! :biggrin2:

There is a nice eddy out to the right of that park.

Cheers,

Grant.

Well done Nick that is a nice Jewie, sounds like you were excited, wonder if any one was watching your jetty antics. Good fish mate that shoud have put a big smile on your face..

Cheers..

Well done Nick that is a nice Jewie, sounds like you were excited, wonder if any one was watching your jetty antics. Good fish mate that shoud have put a big smile on your face..

Cheers..

Nice schoolie mate :thumbup: Well done. I had the same experience with my first jewie a little while ago at my local wharf. I also recognise you from last Saturday. I was fishing at my local wharf and you came and told me there were heaps of yellow tail biting at Gladesville wharf.

hey mate congrats on your jew :thumbup: ! Was that at abortsford wharf? U caught that at low tide? I was at kissing point wharf the other night nothing in ther .Might try ther tmw night, if kissing point wharf gets crwdd cheers bangus

hey mate congrats on your jew :thumbup: ! Was that at abortsford wharf? U caught that at low tide? I was at kissing point wharf the other night nothing in ther .Might try ther tmw night, if kissing point wharf gets crwdd cheers bangus

Bangus i didnt catch it at abbotsford wharf i dont really fish off there because you cant get good casts lol because of the shelter. Also it wasn't low tide i caught it and hour before high tide.

what bait did u use if u dnt mind me asking

from first post

I caught this Mulloway yesterday morning on a favourite wharf of mine on the Parramatta River on a butterflied yellowtail

mallios

congrats on the school jew she looks good

Edited by hooklineandsinker

Nice looking jewfish Mallios ....... Going on the colour in the photo it seems to be a pretty healthy fish too.. The Parramatta River seems to be holding a good few jew close to mature size at the moment as does the Georges and both rivers don't seem to have anywhere near the volume of small soapies and undersize jewfish that the Hawkesbury has at the moment and not too many decent size jewfish have been caught up there for a fair while now..... This would have to makes one think that the Hawkesbury is marking time with the arrival of the usual autumn breeding size schools at the moment, as seems to be the case in the Harbour area and the Georges.... Going on feedback which is starting to become a bit scarce on the jewfish front, the Georges still has a good number of jewfish in pockets upriver around the size of what the fish released during the last fingerling program should be by now, ie the jewfish that have been caught for quite a few months now have mostly been around the 65 to the 75, 80 centimetre mark....It seems there isn't much sign of any new arrivals either at the bridges at the mouth or upriver at this stage....In the Hacking the regulars jew fishermen that I know are only getting a school size jew or two every few weeks or so after spending a lot of time up there... Just hoping this year's late autumn and winter wont be the same fizzer as was the case last year... which can be put down to a general absence of most other species as well due to such long periods of extreme cold upon cold and that isn't the case so far this season and we've had good rain and the jast few days of rough seas might liven things up a bit...

The Hawkesbury results within the next month or so might show a clearer picture for the other areas as the Hawkesbury has always led the way as far as incoming breeding size jewfish and larger mulloway goind up into the rivers and settling in is concerned...

Anyway it would be good to see you catching a few good size jewfish in the future :thumbup:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: