Port Before The Southerly

reelmagic

Hi Guys,

Spent a week at port and only got out on the Thursday before all the mess came through. The sw wind was in early and the sea sloppy making for only a 12knt passage out to the grounds. The only thing that kept out hopes up, was the expected change in conditions for the better later in the day. NOT! At times, a series of 4m+ swells rolled through but the sight of an early free jumper in greenish water put this out of our minds. Lures were set while looking for bait and after 30 mins the shot gun 'went off' with a very enthusiastic small fish which billed the leader and wrapped his bill for a few minutes before parting. A few striped tuna were a welcome addition to the tubes. Finally we jigged bait at 80-90m and set our baits close by the bait school with the deep bait at 65m+.

The current was 1.8knts south making for difficulty staying over an area. At 12.15pm the band on the deep bait gave out the usual 'pop' and the the angle of the line started to change. Within seconds a good fish blasted to the surface but seemed unsure of what was happening. As the drag was increased, the fish became very unhappy and took-off. For some reason, this fish was very tough and difficult, probably the most by far! Hooked in the corner, it was tagged after 55mins, but took several more attempts to cut it free as it kept taking off and tailing on the leader. With the crew with now longer arms, it finally came in, was cut free and then it charged off yet agin! Wow! Tough fish! This episode took us sou. east at least 6kms and into a very strong, blue current which in the late afternoon was in over the shelf. We found the bait again and put out two striped tuna and in 10 mins a nice marlin swum up between the two of them, past the boat not 30 feet away with a seemingly smile on the dial.

At 4pm we started our long run home. :thumbup:

The next 6 days were blown out! :mad3:

post-7690-1240556357_thumb.jpg

post-7690-1240556378_thumb.jpg

post-7690-1240556400_thumb.jpg

post-7690-1240556418_thumb.jpg

post-7690-1240556434_thumb.jpg

Edited by reelmagic

Dale,

Nice fish there mate. I can't get enough of those colours.

Did you miss me at port??? I wanted desperately to head up for a day or two but work kept me tied up.

By the sounds of things it was a good trip to miss, weather wise.

Anyway hopefully the weather in Sydney will clear soon and we can go and chase some fin.

Cheers

Shawn