Custom Blackfish Rod

woodch0p

Hey guys,

currently working on building my own blackfish rod, wanting to make it as light as possible, stuck at which blank get.

My current choices are:

1/ Excel Composites PowerGraph Blackfish GP 3145G

Graphite butt, Fiberglass tip

2PCE MEDIUM action, Length 3.67m, Tip 2.6mm, Butt 23.2mm, 2-6kg, Weight 230gms.

2/ Wilson/Kilwell Live Fibre ZMT4144/2

Carbon Fibre/Fibreglass Weave

12', 2PCE, to 6kg

3/ Snyder Glas MT144 4W

Graphite Composite

12', 1PCE, 3-5kg (If this is the way to go I will need to cut it as I am after 2 pce)

Or if there are any other suggestions on blanks to choose?

Specs needed:

12FT

2PCE

Lightweight

Thin Butt

Thanks in advance guys!

Daniel Wood

Edited by woodch0p

ok well my first thing i need to suggest is that i personally have a great bias towards snyder and butterworth blanks all my serious rods that i have used/taken from my father are butterworth balnks and i have a great love of snyder blanks as well and as such i do prefer fibreglass blanks so my vote is behind the snyder blanks short of that my second vote goes towards the livefibre wilson as they are also a top quality blank for blackies all the best and tite lines

Hey guys,

currently working on building my own blackfish rod, wanting to make it as light as possible, stuck at which blank get.

My current choices are:

1/ Excel Composites PowerGraph Blackfish GP 3145G

Graphite butt, Fiberglass tip

2PCE MEDIUM action, Length 3.67m, Tip 2.6mm, Butt 23.2mm, 2-6kg, Weight 230gms.

2/ Wilson/Kilwell Live Fibre ZMT4144/2

Carbon Fibre/Fibreglass Weave

12', 2PCE, to 6kg

3/ Snyder Glas MT144 4W

Graphite Composite

12', 1PCE, 3-5kg (If this is the way to go I will need to cut it as I am after 2 pce)

Or if there are any other suggestions on blanks to choose?

Specs needed:

12FT

2PCE

Lightweight

Thin Butt

Thanks in advance guys!

Daniel Wood

I picked up a loomis gl2 steelhead blank today.

10' 3-5kg

2 piece

moderate taper

graphite comp

Model No. ST1202

Seems like it'd make an excellent blackfish rod once I spin it up, cost me 120 bucks off ebay. if you're after something longer they may make something that suits your needs.

of the choices there I'd be leaning towards the GP 3145 as I've heard good things about excel composites, and that's a blackfish taper aswell. stay away from the 1piece snyder... converting it to two piece wouldn't be worth it ( brass furrels ewww). if you want the mt4144 taper stick to the wilson. should double up as a good light surf rod aswell. I use a live fibre 7144 and cant fault it, it's tough as nails.

The zmt4144 has specs very similar to a standard mt4144 but it has the carbon in the lower section for a bit faster taper and a touch more grunt. It really is a very heavy stick for a blackfish rod.

The pick of blanks around at the moment is the Kilwell 1742C/2. It also has a carbon layer in the butt section and is quite light in weight with plenty of grunt to handle any blackfish you may encounter as well as the odd smaller drummer. I have built a dozen or so of these rods over the last year and if you would like a recipe or some more info gimme a buzz.

Cheers Shane.

Thanks for the input shane, have narrowed my choices down to the Excel Composites PowerGraph Blackfish GP 3145G and the Kilwell 1742C/2 just waiting on gathering the specs for the Kilwell (weight, butt/tip diameter) to be sent to me to make my final choice. I never noticed that one on the website I was looking at but definately looks like the better option!

Once I build the rod I will create a post to show everyone the final product, or tap it onto the end of this one.

Had a rod made up on the this Lamiglas blank, came up very nice too.

Model XSH 156 3L

Length 13'

Sections 3

Line 6-10

Lure 1/4-1/2

Butt Diameter 0.610"

Tip Size 5

Average Weight 4 5/16

Colour Translucent Brown

Material Graphite

Might be a bit exxy/fragile for the rocks??

Bill

Edited by Bill S

• 2 weeks later...

The kilwell Mark mentions is a great rod all glass construction and a very progressive slow medium action comes in a 13 footer as well i made one for Dad and he loved it the Kilwell is a 5 wrap very tough and reminiscent of Sportex from the 80's my only other recommendations are the Snyder Mag Bream and extend it wit ha 6 inch sand spike or the butt section of an unmade bit of rod can be obtained from a tackle store or rod builder otherwise the snyder GP3145.

My go to is still a Sportex thats 45 years old!

I use the Salmon/Steelhead blanks from St Croix and G Loomis. They are worth considering as they weigh next to nothing which is nice for those long sessions. I have had Kilwells etc in the past and they are too thick, heavy and at times, seem to be too sloppy (which is odd considering that the sloppy rod action is the cushion required to stop hook pulling etc). The graphite rods are far superior and offer a great recovery and hook setting power without enormous strikes which can result in a float to the head!

I have a G Loomis ST1084-2-IMX 8-12 WT Fly blank 9' long which is awesome for bigger fish and Surgeons. The heavy fly rods build into fantastic Blackfish sticks.

For lighter work, the St Croix 10'6" 3SC106MLF2 STC Spinning/Casting 10'6" 2pc 6-10lb. B0.475 T4 is a cracker.

There are 12' versions of these blanks available too.

I match these blanks with Gold Cermets or Titanium SICS which keeps the weight right down. Cork grips, Andrew's Reel Seats (Matagi) or Fuji 16s, minimal bindings and two coats of Threadmaster Light and you have a very light yet powerful rod.

Edited by Cephalopod

Over many years i have built and used a wide variety of blackfish rods. They are a specials piece of equipment and the one you choose will be the one you feel the best with.

For my two bob's worth:

My current rod is the best one i have every used and i have had a few 9 at the last count. It is a Butterworth blank MTE5126G. I use this rod every where i fish for blackfish river or rock, and build it so i could do this with it. Along with an alvery blackfish reel and home made floats this gear rocks.

I ever use it to fish for whiting off the beach with a light lead and a small treadline reel.

happy building Kingpig

At last count i had 5 split canes 2 graphite and lost count of the glass rods all of varying action my go to rod is a MkIV Avon from scottie rods its a split cane but has loads of power and leaves my graphite rods for dead as for actions its user dependent i prefer soft full action rods like the sportex 663 an dmore recently the kilwell 1365 i find graphite too stiff and theres no feel i like a bit weight to to the rod and again its what you are brought up on!

At last count i had 5 split canes 2 graphite and lost count of the glass rods all of varying action my go to rod is a MkIV Avon from scottie rods its a split cane but has loads of power and leaves my graphite rods for dead as for actions its user dependent i prefer soft full action rods like the sportex 663 an dmore recently the kilwell 1365 i find graphite too stiff and theres no feel i like a bit weight to to the rod and again its what you are brought up on!

Royce is it you lost count of the glass rods or you cant count that high :1prop:

sure as hell no i cant and it would take a day to do so.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Been a bit since I have updated this topic, been pretty flat out.

The rod is 3/4 of the way there, when i finish it off I will create a post in the DIY forum of if it more convienent I will just tag it on the end of this one.

I settled for the excel composites blank, which actually turns out to be a pacific composite blank. Really nice blank and I am quite happy with it.

Keep an eye out for photo's and a proper rundown on the building process and chosen parts, plus hopefully a pic or two of the final result in action. :biggrin2:

Regards,

Daniel

I have the same rod and blank and find the composite a bit too heavy for blackfishing and have changed to a wilson blackfish rod as I pull way too many hooks and bust a few off with all that grunt.I do use 35 lb braid though and that can make a difference with the low stretch,but I never lose any floats :biggrin2:

Good luck with you rod as it will haul em out in no time.

Cheers Stewy

35lb you trying to rip their heads off! I never fished anything over 12lb mono lost a few floats, but you must remember a blackfish rod is to play the fish and tire it too heavy line and too much pressure will bust a rod eventually.

The braid is for visual and floatation only and I never ever exert that much pressure on a fish with braid as I am still using a 6lb leader.

The rod itself is the problem with a very heavy butt section and once the fish gets into that area of the rod the bust offs come as do the pulled hooks ,hence I have opted for a much slower tapered rod :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

Only having a dig mate, I used to go up to 20lb Tortue! Braid is awesome stuff thogh i found i pulled way too many hooks due to the no stretch factor went back to platil and on rods only ever used soft rods like the wilson they manufacture one of the best modrn blackie rods i can find!

And how is your catch rate at the moment, we got some huge ones in Napier this summer/spring!

Hey hey,

Have finished the rod :yahoo: , awaiting cables to upload photo's of camera and will create a post, overall very pleased with result, I'm happy with the blank, will be running an alvey blackfish reel with 20lb braid on it due the the same reasons as swordfisherman using braid (Alvey + braid = going against traditionalist's view but but the pro's outweight the con's in my books :1prop: ). I had a test of a mates wilson custom rod which had a slower taper but to me felt sloppy (I know some favour this but not my style).

I still haven't given it a test run yet but I don't think it's going to disappoint!

Let me know if you prefer me to create a new post (DIY section) or to continue on with this post.

I'm happy with whatever is easy for you guys.

Cheers,

Daniel Wood

• 13 years later...