Cracked Transom..

ritchie

Guys,

I have no oidea when it comes to boat stuff..my mate is looking to buy this boat from an online auction site and the seller says that boat has a "Cracked Transom" ..

What does that means, i mean is it fixable?..even if can be fixed would it have a long term impact on the boat?..and how much would it cost?...

Any advice is appriciated..

post-4048-1240980122_thumb.jpg

Guys,

I have no oidea when it comes to boat stuff..my mate is looking to buy this boat from an online auction site and the seller says that boat has a "Cracked Transom" ..

What does that means, i mean is it fixable?..even if can be fixed would it have a long term impact on the boat?..and how much would it cost?...

Any advice is appriciated..

post-4048-1240980122_thumb.jpg

Hi Ritchie From what can be seen in the photo, :1yikes: I reckon the whole boat will always have a permanent long term impact on someone or other whether it sells or not

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I had a look at the other photos and details.

There is a reason why it has a cracked transom and by the way they have tried to support it with the c section and they ran it that way for a while.

The cracked transom usually indicated that there is rot in the transom or it has had a massive hit on the solid bits called land that surround water. Could have come off it's trailer so look for other repairs on it.

Costs are huge and as there is a lot of hours labour work and a fair bit of materials to get it done. If it was only the transom then it might be ecconomical but if the stringers and decks are also rotten that is a complete rebuild.

I wouldn't want to steer you wrong on price so get a actual boat repairer around there and inspect it to get a better idea. Think in excess of 2k and upwards if it was simple ( which they never are) . I have seen simple transo jobs on larger boats go $7000. Can easily go higher than boat purhase price.

You would want that motor fully checked out as well as I wouldn't guess it was the year model they say t is.

Think very carefully before buying that boat and do your research as there is thousands to spend and a lot of time you could be doing fishing.

Send a email to sponser as he may know someone that could inspect and quote on that repair so at least you know where you stand.

Edited by pelican

I had a look at the other photos and details.

There is a reason why it has a cracked transom and by the way they have tried to support it with the c section and they ran it that way for a while.

The cracked transom usually indicated that there is rot in the transom or it has had a massive hit on the solid bits called land that surround water. Could have come off it's trailer so look for other repairs on it.

Costs are huge and as there is a lot of hours labour work and a fair bit of materials to get it done. If it was only the transom then it might be ecconomical but if the stringers and decks are also rotten that is a complete rebuild.

I wouldn't want to steer you wrong on price so get a actual boat repairer around there and inspect it to get a better idea. Think in excess of 2k and upwards if it was simple ( which they never are)

You would want that motor fully checked out as well as I wouldn't guess it was the year model they say t is.

Think very carefully before buying that boat and do your research as there is thousands to spend and a lot of time you could be doing fishing.

Send a email to sponser as he may know someone that could inspect and quote on that repair so at least you know where you stand.

Thanka ALOT Pelican...

Yeah, as i have mentioned neither me nor my friend has a great deal of knowledge about boats..itf its cars, BRING IT ON ! hahaah..

yep, thats what i reckon too..even though its a decent looking boat i reckon its not worth taking a risk and fixing things..especially while there are thousands of other decent boats are around..

...I am just encouraging/helping my mate to buy a boat so I can go fishing with him in style! :thumbup:

Thanks again guys... i'll pass the message to my mate!!! :thumbup: