Website With Water Temps For Inside Harbour+out?

klainz

G'day raiders,

anyone know of a website that gives up to date info. re: water temps inside parts of the harbour/hacking/other major harbours along NSW and immediately offshore?

Probably does not exist (for in shore anyway) - what would be it's use - apart from possibly helping fishos?!

Any info would be appreciated.

Also,

if anyone has been around middle harbour/harbour proper in their boats - any updates re: water temps in last 24-48hrs?

Website idea???

Could it be a possible option on the fishraider website for guys to post. 'up to date' ('personal and unofficial') water temps/conditions in different waterways who have been out on the water or landbased?? that day. Obviously a disclaimer that people do not use it as their weather source - seabreeze, BOM, weather undergound being more official sites...could help as 'local report' of the conditions.

Example:

Boat fished lower reaches around middle harbour at 0655 29 April 09:

water temp 24.0 (I wish!); slightly muddy; minimal chop.

Or:

Landbased lilli pilli wharf. Strong westerlies making casting difficult; much weed, leaves, mud in water post heavy rainfall etc....

Probably not a great idea, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Cheers.

G'day Klainz, here are 2 websites that should help you out.

This first one is fairly straight forward and easy to read:

http://www.mhl.nsw.gov.au/www/wave_temp.htmlx

syddir_temp.gif

And the CSIRIO handles this one:

It's a bit more complicated but gets the job done.

http://www.marine.csiro.au/remotesensing/o...Hob/latest.html

2009042822.gif

I'm not sure if there are any places you can check temps inside the harbour.

Cheers, Joel

Thanks for your reply Jewgaffer, a template for reports could be a great option! In a way it could almost become like a communal diary (I presume most of us keep diaries of our own sessions - I do anyway!) We can all look at the conditions reported and correlate it to whether the day produced results or not on the subsequent report!

Could be slots for: barometrics rising or falling or stable, weather fronts, wind conditions, rain, moon cycle and rise or fall. Actually, might lead to braining the fish once and for all! Could be an ultimate way in sharing information on catching different species...

If someone was superkeen we could actually gain a lot of possibly useful info by pooling then analyzing everyones results over a period of time and correlating it to species targetted or general location fished...successful patterns could possibly emerge. Probably wouldn't be fair on the fish in the end...then again! I guess it would be a great way to collect and use info from a vast number of fishos - yet doesn't necessarily give away secret favorite locales or even techniques etc.

Any thoughts from the moderators...

Thanks for the links Joel.

Thanks for your consideration, mrsswordfisherman!

Look forward to seeing what you guys might come up with.

As fishos we're ever looking for any edge possible and we can never get enough info. Hope making things possibly more 'scientific'on a grand scale could be useful! Not a new concept but the possibility of the numbers of results could unlock 'new' info for our local conditions.

Cheers.

Yes great idea and we do not have to re-invent the wheel. More on this shortly :biggrin2:

mrsswordfisherman

One thing most peeople arent aware of is that Most Sounders need to have there temperture calibrated.

If it hasnt been calibrated after being installed it will more then likely be giving a false temp reading, it can be out as far as 2.0 degrees...

So if the info was place there by members it may not be acurate info