Wild Stream Bass.

Jewhunter

G'day all.

Sorry for the late report. I was going to post this & clean forgot. This is from a few weeks ago.

I took the yak up to a little stream that runs off the Tweed river before the Tweed hits the fresh.

It's a funny spot. In the one session shore based last year I caught a bass,bream & flattie on plastics in the one spot in an arvo. It's tidal but 70% of it would be fresh.

I spied a few spots to launch a yak so I gave it a crack. I launched upstream on a farm access road. The tide was low & I paddled with it casting poppers, hardbods & spinner blades for no result. :wacko:

I reached the point where I had to head back & changed tactics using a 3" bass minnow on a 1/16th head for instant success. A healthy wild bass of 30 cms smacked the plastic on the 1st cast that I bounced around a sunken tree.

I paddled all the way back & again cast at everything for no reward. At one point I thought I was in a deep hole so I just let the placcy sink & sink & sink...! Must have been 15 mtrs deep. I twitched it twice on the bottom & whack, I was on. After a solid tussle a beaut 41cm wild bass was posing for pics. :thumbup:

Nice morning in a pretty surreal stream & at least I found a couple of fish although it was tough going.

I have to get up there on high tide. Check out those under cut banks in the pics. I know that this place would produce some very big bass at the right times. :biggrin2:

It's an 8 minute drive from home.

Cheers,

Grant.

Thanks all.

There are just sooo many rivers & streams up here that hold plenty of bass. As Slinky mentioned, so much water & so little time.

I wouldn't know how they taste. I release all my bass.

3" bass minnow. Yep, I've caught that many species on them it makes the mind boggle. It's my "go to" lure when the fishing is tough.

There aren't many fish that won't eat them. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

Nice bass Grant. Looks like a great waterway. You are one lucky guy to be able to fish the salt in the morning, and the fresh for another species in the afternoon. Do you know of any good bass spots easily reachable from forster?

Hi Jewhunter

I have fished for bass in Richmond river and tridutries for many years most of the areas very tidal.

My experience is that bass seemed to fire better on the end of the run out tide and the highs were almost dead.

If you find anything different i would interested to know.

Cheers

Kingpig

Hi Grant

Hmmm, can't seem to see the pics, but love the thought of bass fishing that close to home!! :1yikes:

Will hopefully get Glenn onto some when we get back from up north, not tooooo far from here! I've only ever caught the one, but I reckon there are more there! ;)

Could that be where we may be going???? :biggrin2:

Cheerio

Roberta

Will make sure I put my bass minnows in ..... any particular colour?

Hopefully the pics are here to stay now Roberta! :wacko:

Pearl blue & pearl watermelon b-m's will do. :biggrin2:

We'll be fishing new waters as they will be a bit closer to Byron Bay.

If you & Keith spend a night here when you're heading north we'll take the tinny up to Clarrie Hall dam while Keith swims in the river with the bull sharks! :1yikes:

You'll have your own room so no need to set up camp. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.