Smoked Trout

cat-as-trophy

I love smoked trout Cath!!

If it's been smoked it's already cooked & ready to go so simply thaw it out & serve it cold with a nice side salad & hot bread. Yum. :thumbup:

Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,

Grant.

Its the best fast food. Beats a Big Mac any day!! :thumbup:

Warm it up by wrapping it in foil and 10 min in the oven. Crusty bread is defiantly the way to go :biggrin2:

Enjoy

alasdair

Hi Cath. I just spoke to the brains behind the operation :wife: and she says the best thing to do with it is to make pate. She is a very demanding polish woman and says its her mothers recipe. Cream cheese, a little oil, finely chopped spring onion a bit of fresh dill(optional) and salt and pepper. Mash it all together and its great on toast or bread. She just told me that i MUST say take the bones and skin out. Good luck.

any idea where you can get smoked trout for a reasonable price in sydney?

Hello Rehab,

Most fish mongers have them otherwise the markets. Not sure how they taste but i am sure they would be ok. Nothing beats doing it yourself and eating warm fresh from the smoker though . . .

Ill have to check it out - my local doesnt have any - fresh or smoked - a trip to the fish markets is in order.

I saw a recipe Huey had the day with smoked trout - looked great

To all who replied to my post, thank you. Alas I only have 1 smoked trout, so will need to get some more to try out the different ways to use it in order. First will be to defrost, and have with salad. Sounds yummy.

I really like the pate style wantingaboat, will definately have to get some more and try that one.

Any more suggestions will be taken onboard and used in the not too distant future. (when I find a good supplier)

Cheers

Mrs Flightmanager

To all who replied to my post, thank you. Alas I only have 1 smoked trout, so will need to get some more to try out the different ways to use it in order. First will be to defrost, and have with salad. Sounds yummy.

I really like the pate style wantingaboat, will definately have to get some more and try that one.

Any more suggestions will be taken onboard and used in the not too distant future. (when I find a good supplier)

Cheers

Mrs Flightmanager

Hi Mrs Flightmanager

In regards to suggestions I could be wrong but have allways been under the impression to not freeze smoked trout

as this complety spoils the product........but as I said could be wrong I thought it was reccommended

it be best just kept refridgerated...???? anyway I am sure someone could offer there advice on that subject

Cheers Warnie

Hi Cath,

There are 2 dishes that MrsS and I love with smoked trout or salmon... and it doesn't matter if it's the cold smoked commercial kind or fish I've smoked at home in the little hot smoker.

1... Scrambled eggs with smoked trout for brekkie

Cook the scrambled eggs and then just fold through some broken up smoked trout just before serving... the idea is for the fish to be warmed through, not cooked more. Really nice to also have some shallots or chives in there as well.

Served on toast with some yummy coffee (or bubbles if it's an occasion) on the side.

2. Smoked salmon pasta

About a million ways to do this but at its most basic, the same principle applies... cook the rest of the dish and then add the fish just before serving to warm it through (this also prevents it breaking up).

I don't seem to ever use the same recipe twice but again as a start, fry off some onion and garlic with oregano, a little chilli and maybe some basil in extra virgin olive oil... throw in some olives to warm them through (some sun-dried tomatoes are yummy too)... add a splash of white wine to deglaze the pan... toss in your just cooked, still warm pasta (fettucine is my fave but it doesn't really matter)... season to taste (watch the salt though because smoked fish is often salty) then toss it around with the herbs & stuff until coated... crumble in some fetta cheese and throw in the salmon/trout, stir through till warm (only 30 seconds to a minute) and serve.

If you're feeling wicked you can add a splash of cream with the cheese and fish.

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks Tony, those 2 suggestions sound absolutely scrummy.

I will definately have to go and get some more smoked trout and salmon with all the terrific ideas that I have received.

Keep them coming guys

Cheers

Cath (Mrs Flightmanager)

Found some at the local fishmongers - they wanted $35 a kilo.

Went down to the fish markets at paddys in the city - they have the same brand for $15 a kilo, and it was delicious!