Pushing A Boat On Pebble/gravel Driveway

wonniefisho

Hi all,

Since my new boat won't fit under my carport I was planning on concreting an area of grass next to the carport to put the boat, however after getting estimates of $2500 I've changed my mind. I should have been a concreter, I'd be rich by now.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone pushes (by hand) a boat onto any sort of pebble driveway and if it can be done. Its flat and its a 4.8 aluminium cuddy cabin on 8" wheels. If you do it, I'd like to know what sort of pebbles you have, I could imagine it might be harder on some sorts than others.

The other altenative I guess is to make 2 cement 'tracks' where the boat will go and keep the grass or pebbles around them.

Thanks!

Edited by wonniefisho

Hi all,

Since my new boat won't fit under my carport I was planning on concreting an area of grass next to the carport to put the boat, however after getting estimates of $2500 I've changed my mind. I should have been a concreter, I'd be rich by now.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone pushes (by hand) a boat onto any sort of pebble driveway and if it can be done. Its flat and its a 4.8 aluminium cuddy cabin on 8" wheels. If you do it, I'd like to know what sort of pebbles you have, I could imagine it might be harder on some sorts than others.

The other altenative I guess is to make 2 cement 'tracks' where the boat will go and keep the grass or pebbles around them.

Thanks!

Do it properly and save yourself a world of pain and you wont regret it.

Nothing worse than having hassles trying to get your boat on and off at your own home.

Cheers Stewy

Hi all,

Thanks!

Wonniefisho

Have you priced the concrete to do it yourself as you will fined this much cheaper than getting a conreter in.

It is not that hard to lay crete and i believe that with a few slabs of beer and a bbq you would not have trouble finding help. I think if you went down this path that you could get you crete layed for approx $1000 depenting on size.

We as raiders should be looking out for each others not just on the seas but land aswell. So if you like pm me and i will be glad to help.

Pm me the size an location i will get my mate who has a concrete truck to give you a price.

Cheers

Bob

Cuddy should fit under a carport - just push it a bit harder!!!! he he

Give it the chop and send the pieces to ( brickman ) to put a pin and a hinge in.

Those preformed concrete pavers are really cheap for a quick fix if you can't chop the boat.

The other option is often a easy one as well which is just to lift the carport 30cm. Again get brickman to make up some new base plates and a couple of hours 2 mates a jack and some tec screws and you have a new extra high carport.

Friend modifies jocket wheel so hitcjh is literally on the ground to give him 5cm clearance to push his under teh carport. Was'n't too heavy to lift onto ball and cheaper than lifting the garage door.

There is always a way - throw a photo up

Pel

Edited by pelican

You can get big plain concrete pavers , about 600mm square.

Might be cheap , quick option.

Wow. Thanks for all the responses.

I did think about a DIY job, but I'm scared of hard work - and its a pretty big area too. :tease:

Possibility of lowering the boat somehow has drawn a blank. Its already on 8" wheels, the rollers are as low as they can go, and even without a jockey wheel, its about an inch too high. Raising the carport isn't possible as it shares its weight bearing frame with the garage roof. Well, I guess its possible but probably easier and cheaper to concrete the area I wanted!

Technically I don't need the whole of the area where I was going to concrete done, but I was going to take advantage of it and lessen the area I need to mow! What I can get away with, and what would be very cheap and easy to DIY (I don't REFUSE to do all hard work!), is just do a 2.5m wide section next to the current driveway with a row of slabs with the pebbles in between and leave the rest grass. I can picture it now and it would still look pretty good and do the job well.

But if I need the house painted, I'll know to get my 'friends' on Fishraider to do it. Ha Ha.

Thanks again

I wouldn’t recommend pebble / gravel as I have distorted a jockey wheel pushing / pulling the boat on that sort of surface. The flatter / more even the surface the better. Paving if not done properly will have differential settlement, which can be a pain with the jockey wheel. After a day’s fishin’ you want to keep it as simple and easy as possible and not get frustrated at the end. Bob’s very generous offer sounds too good to refuse…….

Cheers,

Cam

Maybe a few of the hard working Raiders could Pm this gentleman and get a day together witha BBQ and a few ales and sort this out.

Formwork is easy and doing the conrete work shouldnt be too difficult.

See what the very generous Raiders come up with.

Cheers Stewy

Maybe a few of the hard working Raiders could Pm this gentleman and get a day together witha BBQ and a few ales and sort this out.

No, no, I really couldn't accept that kind of help. I've been outside to have a look and I think the slabs, as long as I ensure the ground under is solid and flat, will do fine. Its not going to be a big job to do that, and I can always reconsider my options if it doesn't work out. Anyway, we already have a lot of cement out the front (odd design front yard) and the extra area is going to make it look like a concrete jungle - one I was willing to live with, but I think my option might be the best at this stage and will keep the area a bit more 'green'.

But I will definitely keep the fishraider gang in mind. :)

If you are only missing buy one inch you say?????

Change your axel from under the springs to over the springs, adda fish plate and heavier shackles.

Cheap quick and easy solution. Should get you an inch I'd reckon. Lower profile tyres?

You could also move your axel back 30cm and they would give an extra half inch.

Is the boat sitting on rollers ? Are they as low as they can go? s there a thinner profile roller of different design you can insert?

Did a dwarf build you carport? If the carport has a sloping drive and it is the highpoint that is causing the 1inch you could grind the concrete at that point with a point scrabbler and then a coarse conctrete polisher.

There is always a way and as you might have guessed have been through this ourselves. Will never buy another house the oat won't fit into - oh unless the other half wants it :05::1badmood:

Edited by pelican

How much clearance do you need to get under the car port? On my boat it is close but i also have lots of adjustment on the trailer,i have 13 inch wheels. by lowering the rollers and slides this may help and a lot less work than laying concrete.cheers regards Stephen.

Rollers are pretty low profile and the axle is already over the springs.

I don't really want to move the axle back any further, its already looks a fair way back. No, a Dwarf didn't do the carport, but its a cuddy with small windscreen on top so it is fairly high. Whats stopping me isn't the roof of the carport itself, but the front cross member which is lower than the roof. I could possibly cut part of it out, but being load bearing I don't really want to.

Mate dig up your drvway to 200-300mm buy some ready made reo. Ive got those black thing to raise the reo off the ground and I can give to you for free. And dont forget the form work or any thick timber just to hold the concrete in place. Then ring up those mini concrete trucks to deliver concrete. These will set you back probably around $700-$1000 max.

Mate dig up your drvway to 200-300mm buy some ready made reo. Ive got those black thing to raise the reo off the ground and I can give to you for free. And dont forget the form work or any thick timber just to hold the concrete in place. Then ring up those mini concrete trucks to deliver concrete. These will set you back probably around $700-$1000 max.

I agree, do most of it yourself and save a few $$$ mate.

Best advice I can offer you is "Don't take the advice from APS experts" lmao

Determin if the front beam is just a facia or if it is structural. Even if it is structural it can generally be made a smaller profile and a second one possibly of steel placed behind ( if required) it to keep structure safe.

If there is enough space for tyre clearance to guards you could put a spacer under the axel. Shorten trailer at the hitch by 30cn will give you the extra angle to dip screen under. One of the few trailer mods that can be done without regalling the trailer

Dig a 2 inch by 4 inch track in the concrete where the trailer hitch would scrape as you push it under

Running out of ideas - put a photo up

Pel

Edited by pelican

Oh god - you must be a boilermaker!!!!!! Just joking.

Hope gary - brickman is reading ha ha

Pel Im just helping the guy to decide. Nothing wrong with using OZ's NO.2 favourite tool. Lucky I didnt say use the HAMMER(no.1 tool) to bend some things a bit. :mfr_lol: