Plastics V Bait

blue marlin

Went for a quick fish down the groyns. Took my soft plastic rod and a small bait rod armed with salted slimey fillets and a asortment of soft plastics and jig heads. Set the bait rod up with a small ball sinker and a 1/0 bait holder and on the soft plastics a turtle back worm. First throw set the bait rod & flicked the plastics. First run was on the bait rod a nice 30+ bream was landed baited up again and set the rod and changed the plastic to a small new penny 5 minutes later the live liner runs again another bream around the same size. bait 2 plastic 0.Set the bait rod again and changed to a 2.5 smelt after the same amount of time another bream 3 nil then the rain started so packed up and went home. Was using 8lb braid with a 4lb leader. Am i doing something wrong with the plastics?post-2662-1241248174_thumb.jpg

G'day mate, got yourself a couple of nice bream on bait , and none on the placcies, the only thing I could suggest is if it was the other way around that is say 4lb braid and 8lb leadr , even come down to 6lb.

Sounds like you had a fun comp with yourself anyway..

Cheers..

Stop taking bait and concentrate on your plastic presentations and try different size jig heads from 1/32 to around 1/8th oz and work them with a few jerks then pause and jerk again letting the lure hit the bottom occasionally.

Leader length should be at least 2 mtrs or a rod and a half length.

Drop down to 4lb braid and 4 to 6lb leader to get better distance on your casts.

Cheers Stewy

Thanks guys will give it a go this afternoon.

Hi Nudge,

I have fished around that area a fair bit recently (from a boat). Whislt I have had some great days on the plastics in the past, the last 4 times out, bait has outfished plastics each time by a country mile in that area.

Im no expert and dont have the answer to why, but my theory and advice is - persist with the plastics, but stick to what is working to catch fish :biggrin2:

nice bream too. :thumbup:

Hutts

Stop taking bait and concentrate on your plastic presentations and try different size jig heads from 1/32 to around 1/8th oz and work them with a few jerks then pause and jerk again letting the lure hit the bottom occasionally.

Leader length should be at least 2 mtrs or a rod and a half length.

Drop down to 4lb braid and 4 to 6lb leader to get better distance on your casts.

Cheers Stewy

I would agree on the above choice of line strengths but would suggest a different viewpoint on the leader length. Personally I'd suggest a leader of 60 to 80cm for two reasons. Firstly with a shorter leader you don't have the joining knot passing through the runners (yet you still have enough length to change out lures a fair few times). The second and more important problem with the longer leader is that when you snag up in a snaggy area most times the line will break at the joining knot when you try and get it back. You essentially loose 2m of leader material everytime you snag up. While I have no problems paying for another roll of Fluorocarbon leader I don't want to get a replacement roll twice as often.

You can try both leader lengths and see what works best for you. Also depends on how often you are likely to get snagged up. I use Crystal Fireline in 4lb so I don't worry so much about the fish seeing my mainline with the shorter leader.

Edited by DerekD

Hey Nudge,

I'm one of those people who has an open mind about fishing.

Traditionally, I'm a bait person and have caught plent over the years.

I prefer bait due to the fact that it's a style of fishing I prefer - but when the going is slow, I'm champing at the bit looking for a better way to catch them. Then while I'm pondering the issue, a skeeter will rock up, and start catching the fish from under my nose on SP's.... Net result ? The realization the fish are actually there but are not really interested in bait. It happens sometimes. Usually the fish can be caught on both.

My approach then is to fish bait until I decide that it's gonna be quiet for the next hour or so, then I'll pick up my flick stick and use it for an hour. You must drift to effectively fish SP's. Anchoring and chucking means you get maybe 15 casts and you have covered 360 degrees of the area you're in. You must then up anchor, relocate and try again - all too hard. Drifting doesn't work when bait fishing the groynes - the bait gets ripped off by the weed when passing through. You can't drift bait and SP's together there.

My suggestion - fish baits until you decide they're not working, then drift-fish SP's for an hour, then try bait again or stick with the lures.

Did you notice the water was VERY clean there last weekend? If so, the long leader on your bait works wonders so if fishing SP's, you will need to scale back the leader material to 2kg. Also, the size of the SP is important. If you fish a 3" size lure, you'll only get the bigger bream and flatties. If you use, say an bloodworm imitation, everything there will hit it, large and small. Also the jig head needs to be very small - not much casting distance but you don't need to...

Anyway, I hope that helps...

Had a quick flick yesterday with the platics and ended up with one mullet :1badmood:

you should be proud of yourself mullet are a pretty rare catch on plastics :1fishing1::biggrin2:

Went for a quick fish down the groyns. Took my soft plastic rod and a small bait rod armed with salted slimey fillets and a asortment of soft plastics and jig heads. Set the bait rod up with a small ball sinker and a 1/0 bait holder and on the soft plastics a turtle back worm. First throw set the bait rod & flicked the plastics. First run was on the bait rod a nice 30+ bream was landed baited up again and set the rod and changed the plastic to a small new penny 5 minutes later the live liner runs again another bream around the same size. bait 2 plastic 0.Set the bait rod again and changed to a 2.5 smelt after the same amount of time another bream 3 nil then the rain started so packed up and went home. Was using 8lb braid with a 4lb leader. Am i doing something wrong with the plastics?post-2662-1241248174_thumb.jpg

i'd say you got the bream fired up with the action of the plastics but the smell of the bait and the fact that bait moves slower in the water than a plastic they went for that.try to pause longer between twiches and lift the rod with a slow and smooth action :1fishing1: