Home Made Bait Tank

scotty d

hey fellas just about to build myself a bait tank out of an old esky. i was thinking of just having the water pick up and not a bilge pump. would water be pushed up in the pick up at downrigging speeds?? im hoping so but dont really think so.Im hoping to do this this way as i dont do much live baiting while not moving and if i can save a few bucks all the better.

hey fellas just about to build myself a bait tank out of an old esky. i was thinking of just having the water pick up and not a bilge pump. would water be pushed up in the pick up at downrigging speeds?? im hoping so but dont really think so.Im hoping to do this this way as i dont do much live baiting while not moving and if i can save a few bucks all the better.

Scotty

Sorry to say NO it wont. Well not enough to keep the bait alive.

Cheers

bob

Scotty,

It depends on how fast your downrigging speed is and how high (above the waterline) the pick up tube has to push the water.

Roughly speaking you would need to travel at 5 knots to raise the water 330 mm above the waterline.

At 10 knots the height would around 1.3 meters. At 20 knots the height would be about 5.5 meters.

There is a formula that you can use to work it out. If you want me to dig it up let me know.

The short answer is that at down rigging speeds the pick up probably wont keep a bait tank refreshed unless you can make the highest point of the pick up tube very low to the water.

Steve