Oil For Frying

adkel53

G'day fish eaters,

Here is a hot topic for some debate!! What type of oil do you like to use when pan frying fish fillets (lizards, whiting, bream etc)?

I like peanut oil but would like to know what others use and why.

Cheers

Kel

Cut the fillets thin (5 to 6mm), melt enough butter (don't burn it), add some cracked pepper, a little salt - you can add ginger and or garlic to suit your taste - cook them for 30 seconds, add fillets, then fry the fillets for 1 minute. Turn and cook for 30 seconds more. Squeeze some fresh lemon, a little garnish and enjoy.

My choice for the fillets is definately Mahi Mahi.

A nice fruity wine will be a great combination.

Cheers

Mariner

Cut the fillets thin (5 to 6mm), melt enough butter (don't burn it), add some cracked pepper, a little salt - you can add ginger and or garlic to suit your taste - cook them for 30 seconds, add fillets, then fry the fillets for 1 minute. Turn and cook for 30 seconds more. Squeeze some fresh lemon, a little garnish and enjoy.

My choice for the fillets is definately Mahi Mahi.

A nice fruity wine will be a great combination.

Cheers

Mariner

Mate that gets the gong for the most "mouth watering reply" i have ever read. All i need to do is catch the Mahi

Im with Mariner on this one.

Butter is far tastier than oil.

Heres a tip about cooking with butter - put a splash of oil into it the butter just after it has melted. It will help stop the butter from burning.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Comes down to how you cook.

Extra Virgin Olive has a very low smoke point, about 160c which is too low really for frying . Anything floured or battered at this temp will absorb a lot of oil. Other grades have a higher smoke point but can add a lot of flavour which is not ideal. It's a personal like or dislike.

Butter is at about 180c and is "about" spot on, with a dash of peanut this is boosted over 200c which is perfect. Butter adds a nutty taste.

Peanut is ideal, but has some flavour, personally l like it. (mono unsaturated)

Rice Bran is brilliant if you can find it! Almost no flavour and you could use it in your diff! +250c burn point (mono unsaturated)

Personally love em all in the right dish!!!

mmmmmm fried fish