Setting Up For Game Rigs

petkovd2006

Hi Fellow Raiders,

Im quite a keen fisho and we do alot of fishing inside Botany Bay chasing bream and the like over the years. We have never got into game fishing as such and would like advice on how to rig up lines etc. I have been on charters before and seen the lines platted and dacron etc, but would not have a clue how to actually rig up as such. I certainly know its not going to be something learnt over night but will need to start to muster this over the course of the next few months.

I have been fortunate that a really good friends brother has an 18ft Shark Cat that never gets used and we are free to take when we want. We do have a couple of TLD25s and lures etc. which I have bought recently and know that the yellowfin should start coming off Sydney shortly. We arent looking at chasing Marlin at this stage but smaller game I could imagine would get the blood pumping.

Was wondering if anyone was prepared to show or knows of any fishing clubs/schools around the Metro Sydney area that hold such events, where you can learn all the important bits and pieces that keep that fish on, and the line from breaking.

Look forward to any response.

Thanks

Hi Mate,

The best way to learn this caper is to join a Game fishing club and crew on a boat for a few trips. What you will learn is invaluble, better than any book or video will teach you.

Short of that, jump on an experienced game fishers boat for a few days and ask lots of questions!

cheers

Sammy

G'day Mate,

PM sent, I also would advise hopping onto a charter as watching and asking questions is much better than reading and listening.

I have done a charter with Ross Hunter (who is a sponsor of this site) and I must say I learnt heaps in one day of 'how things are done' compared to all the reading and questions on fishing forums.

Hope this helps.

Jimmy.

G'day Mate,

PM sent, I also would advise hopping onto a charter as watching and asking questions is much better than reading and listening.

I have done a charter with Ross Hunter (who is a sponsor of this site) and I must say I learnt heaps in one day of 'how things are done' compared to all the reading and questions on fishing forums.

Hope this helps.

Jimmy.

Only problem with just going on charters is the deckies or crew do not ususally have the time to show you knots and rigs.

We may get another workshop going for this as the last one was a big hit with the members and hands on tying of knots is the only way to really learn the proper way.

Cheers Stewy

Only problem with just going on charters is the deckies or crew do not ususally have the time to show you knots and rigs.

We may get another workshop going for this as the last one was a big hit with the members and hands on tying of knots is the only way to really learn the proper way.

Cheers Stewy

Sounds like a great idea. Ill be in, and I can think of at least 3-4 more who would certainly be interested in sitting in on a workshop.

Ofcourse, heading out on a charter would be fantastic but a workshop off a boat for knots etc I beleive would be more beneficial and have a more true focus on what say I want to learn for example.