Lake Lyell Experience

Yarraone

Myself and Abuman arived a little after lunch on the friday. Paid our fees and set up camp. :thumbup:

We noticed Stewie and others were already there and out on the water. We put the boat in and headed up the lake towards the backwaters.

This became my first boating incident...... As i rounded the corner near Fishermans creek, my steering locked and before i could knock it out of gear the boat mounted the bank :1yikes: After we regained our senses (!!) We were able to push the boat off the bank and see how lucky we were! Other raiders saw this happen and were quick to check if we were ok. Thanks Geoff.. After realising that all was good, we started fishing. :1fishing1:

No luck Friday afternoon. Went up the camp for dinner. Stewie had already started a fire which was not quite what we needed. So myself and Abuman said that we would get some wood. Seeing as i had left the boat in the water, i had an empty trailer, so we went up the road and brought back enough wood for the weekend. :thumbup: This delighted Stewie and the other raiders that were at HQ.

That night after a few yarns and a few drinks, myself and Abuman went down to the water to drop a few lines in and do a bit of a night fish. Abuman caught this little fella, which no-one was quite sure what it was. But i have since found out that it is an endangered Macquarie Perch.

Any other ideas for this fish would be great?????

Saturday morning-up at 5am, Stewie was already up after the great night he had sharing a tent with Chris & Smithy, :biggrin2: On the water, and the fog had rolled in which didnt take long to lift to make a beautiful clear sky sunny day. Dropped the lines in, using worms and powerbait and i'm onto a rainbow. After stretching and measuring twice, it was only 24.5 cm so it went back. :mad3:

The wife turned up for her first camping/fishing and raider social EVER. My hubby and Abuman taught me how to cast and bait a hook, but i didnt catch anything except the bottom!

The rest of the day was spent talking to raiders and trying baits and lures. Other raiders were catching good fish, all in all was a great day. Few more yarns Saturday night around what was left of the fire and tales about fish and how good the social has been with other raiders.

Sunday morning- another foggy morning and beautiful sunrise. We hit the water again, flicked a few lures but no luck, so we packed up camp once the sun was up and headed home. Had a great weekend, and I am looking forward to the next social and hope to meet a few more raiders. As far as i know, all raiders not only had a great time, but all raiders also caught at least one fish, and alot of firsts for everyone all round.

we all had a great time fish or no fish and I know I learnt alot from the other raiders :thumbup:

Thanks Stewie you did a great job once again.... :thumbup:

Hay Yarrone tht fish looks like a carp to me Macquarie perch are a dark colour and have a different

tail shape.

http://www.nativefish.asn.au/maccas.html

Hey Jim, stewie thought it was a carp as well ..but, Im sure it was not a carp .. It had no big rubber lips , no wiskers and no other colour at all. Just a very nice shiny silver all over??? There were a few guess of maybe a "Tench"

Hay Yarrone tht fish looks like a carp to me Macquarie perch are a dark colour and have a different

tail shape.

http://www.nativefish.asn.au/maccas.html

i just looked at that link and if it had of been a little bigger I think it may have been the "pearch" still not sure though?

Hey Jim, stewie thought it was a carp as well ..but, Im sure it was not a carp .. It had no big rubber lips , no wiskers and no other colour at all. Just a very nice shiny silver all over??? There were a few guess of maybe a "Tench"

i just looked at that link and if it had of been a little bigger I think it may have been the "pearch" still not sure though?

its not a european carp which has the wiskers its a goldfish carp no wiskers different shape

http://www.asfb.org.au/research/es/cyprinid.htm

Sorry I didn't get the opportunity to really catch up with other raiders. Time constraints and other commitments meant that I didn't get the chance to call up to the camp and say g'day. But I was there.

That was me and a mate in the white bermuda with side consol and merc on the back.

We arrived just after 6am Saturday and just about dragged the bottom out of the lake by 6pm.

Net result:- one rainbow about 30cm. Had a great day out anyway. Was talking to one raider who caught his first trout. Great to see, and may there be many more to come. :thumbup:

Anyway hope those who attended enjoyed fishing this neck of the woods and maybe next time I'll be able

to meet more raiders.

Cheers Phil.

Definately a carp, Rod :( and not an endangered species yet unless we have a few more Socials there.

Great to catch up with you as well and I bet that new rod and reel you got on the way home will get a great work out.

Nice report btw.

Cheers Stewy

Looks like a baby bass to me.

I can see the "sharp point" on the gill rakers.

Well done either way and good to see you enjoyed yourself. :thumbup:

cheers :beersmile:

Hooky

Edited by Hooky.

its not a european carp which has the wiskers its a goldfish carp no wiskers different shape

http://www.asfb.org.au/research/es/cyprinid.htm

yep you could be on the money there.........

Family - Cyprinidae

One of the largest families of fish. Found in a huge range in temperate and tropical waters of Europe, Africa, Asia, and North America. This family is characterised by no jaw teeth, mouth barbels, no adipose fin. Most closely related to the native families Ariidae and Plotosidae. Various sorts of carp are the best known, but the family also includes minnows, daces, and bitterlings. Four species have established self-maintaing populations in Australia since their introduction in1862. Being small and brightly coloured many species of cyprinids are popular with aquarists, and some valuable economically.

Goldfish Carassius auratus Linnaeus

yep you could be on the money there.........

Family - Cyprinidae

One of the largest families of fish. Found in a huge range in temperate and tropical waters of Europe, Africa, Asia, and North America. This family is characterised by no jaw teeth, mouth barbels, no adipose fin. Most closely related to the native families Ariidae and Plotosidae. Various sorts of carp are the best known, but the family also includes minnows, daces, and bitterlings. Four species have established self-maintaing populations in Australia since their introduction in1862. Being small and brightly coloured many species of cyprinids are popular with aquarists, and some valuable economically.

Goldfish Carassius auratus Linnaeus

I believe that is one the same as my mate caught last year when they were travelling around in swarms looks like a goldfish to me (carp of sorts) they were there by the thousand, probably not as cold and they are running a bit deeper

Top report there Yarraone.

Seems to me that there has been another successful raiders social.

Good company, good fishing and by all accounts good weather. Hope to read a few more reports from the weekend.

Cheers

Mrs Flightmanager

G'day Yarraone, it was great to meet you and Abuman.......a couple of top blokes, great fire-side company and the best bloody firewood gatherers around!!!!! I don't think I'll ever forget the look on the other Raiders faces when youz drove back into camp with the best part of a gumtree on the boat trailer :o ...you're both champions! :thumbup:

Pitty you didn't get a couple more fish after Chris a I left Saturday arvo........better luck next time hey!

By the way, I too think that fish was probably a carp mate - so Abuman did us all a favour by removing it from the lake.

Take it easy, I'll see ya at the next social.

Cheers,

Smitty...

It is a crucian carp , they only grow to 1.5kg unless caught in glenbawn dam where they mated with the european carp an grow to 3kg.

I would never of guessed a carp as I have never seen a carp that colour.. Thanks for your feedback guy's :beersmile:

Yeah it's definately a Cyprinidae (same family as carp) goldfish, i've caught a couple in lyell myself, usually on the worms. Near the farmers creek arm you can see schools of them in the water at times.

tg

I'm fairly sure it would be goldfish although redfin have recently turned up in the dam so nothings impossible. I have caught a trout in the dam with five three inch goldfish it's stomach and aften troll small or even medium stumpjumers around and you won't get many fish but you'll sure know when a kilo or more of troll hits you lure.

It sound like the raiders had a great time up there if it hadn't been mums day I would have joined you guys maybe next year I hope.

Edited by zook2001