Seal Vs Shark Off The Royal National Park

james7

It was an amazing sight watching a big a seal smashing a small shark on the surface. We watched him for about 15-20 minutes. We estimated the shark to be about 1.2-1.4m long (originally). It ended up much shorter! :074:

It was just off the Royal National Park.

post-4381-1242008569_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1242008038_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1242008093_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1242008101_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1242008109_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1242008117_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1242008124_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1242008140_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1242008149_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1242008159_thumb.jpg

The video really captured it better than the photos. The power of the seal was amazing!

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Hey Pete, great pics mate, he was really giving that shark a good whooping, I hope the seal enjoyed his flesh softened lunch, bit hard to tell from the pics as to what kind of shark it was, did you get a good look at it..

Cheers mate, and great pics..

Hey Pete, great pics mate, he was really giving that shark a good whooping, I hope the seal enjoyed his flesh softened lunch, bit hard to tell from the pics as to what kind of shark it was, did you get a good look at it..

Cheers mate, and great pics..

Ray R

Hi Ray. The head of the shark had "disappeared" by the time we got there. Syd reckons it was a wobby. I was mainly looking at the seal through the lens of the camera, so didn't really look at the shark and could only say it was brown ... :wacko:

Cheers

Peter

yep yep makes sense, but a wobbegong attacking a seal? im still confused by picture 2 though

I know what you mean Richard1, but in the second picture, the head had already been ripped off by the seal. The shark carcass was floating just under the surface. The "hammer" part was just a couple of pieces of flesh.

post-4381-1242256718_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Id say its a wobbegong shark, just by the colour and fins.

Regards

Waydo

I agree Waydo. I reckon it's a wobbegong. The colour, patterns and fins suggest that.

post-4381-1242275228_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1242275238_thumb.jpg

Great photos there pete.

Where there screen shots off your video camera or from a standard dig camera.

Cheers

Bob

Hi Bob. The last series of shots were stills taken from a low res video recorded on a little digital camera. Hence the small size and low quality.

Cheers

Peter

I'd say the poor wobbegong was minding it's business when the hungry seal attacked it.

Some great shots there peterS. :thumbup:

awsome pics there wish i could have seen it. Isn't our wourld a great place. prob revenge for being chased by bigger sharks its whole life :biggrin2:

Hi pete

Absolutely awesome photo's. Love stuff like that.

Memories like that stay with you forever.

Reackon you'll still be talking about it and showing the photo,s off for the next 20 years.

Cheers and thanks for the post

Trapper Tom