Harbour Monday - First Squid And A Solution To The Leatherjacket

Jono Hammond

Gidday all

Had a day off work today so thought i would head to the harbour and see if there were any kingy's still around.

Got to the ramp (Tunks) around 5 and launched - first stop SB for bait, managed a few yakka but no squid so went to plan B - which didn't work either so i went of a hunch and tried off middle head and managed to get my first squid on an orange Yo-zuri jig. :biggrin2:

I was stoked!! :biggrin2::biggrin2:

The plan was originally north head but as conditions were pretty awefull we went to the WC and dropped the live squid ..... only to have it slaughtered by leatherjacket! :ranting2:

Now absolutelty livid i thought ... Revenge and using a bait jig proceeded to catch around 15 leatherjacket - not of which went back in the water - using the jackets heads and guts as a burley trail i soon had a massive fish cruising around the boat which looked suspiciously like a samson fish but was not interested in taking anything a offered it. :ranting2:

After this we tried a few other spots for nada headed home.

Leatherjacket for an entre tonight - filletted and boned - perfect cocktail size

post-10441-1242028479_thumb.jpg

Tasted awesome which somehow made the day worthwile - although even the worst day fishing is better than the best day at work!! :biggrin2:

Jono :1fishing1:

Hey John

I'm almost 100% sure that NSW Fisheries dont take well to fish that have already been filleted, gutted, heads cut off etc whilst out on the water.

Reason being that they are not able to correctly measure the fish, should they come onboard your boat.

As i said, not 100% on that one, but its worth looking into

Hey John

I'm almost 100% sure that NSW Fisheries dont take well to fish that have already been filleted, gutted, heads cut off etc whilst out on the water.

Reason being that they are not able to correctly measure the fish, should they come onboard your boat.

I think its ok if your catch is legal and you're using the fish immediately as bait.

Well atleast you got some of them out the water, pain in the ass they are, it would be good if the netters somehow could only catch jackets and nothing else, everyone wins that way.

Pretty sure that if you are going to fillet a fish onboard your boat it has to be for immediate use but not sure if that changes or not for fish without size limits?

Cheers

Josh

Hey John

Greetings

I looked up the dpi website and found this. The link will take you to the fishing guide and I've cut in the relevant bit.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pd...49/sw-guide.pdf

Fin fish

All fish are subject to bag limits and many are also subject to size limits. See bag and size limit section (pages 38) for details.

You must not alter the length of fish by filleting and/or removing the head until you are well away from the water. This rule does not apply at areas normally used for cleaning fish such as boat ramp cleaning tables, if the fish are for immediate consumption or immediate use as bait, or for fish that do not have a legal length. You may clean fish by gilling and gutting only. NSW Recreational Saltwater Fishing Guide 2009

last weekend i went out for kings. a repeat of your day. 1 king. a million jackets. i'm going to try again saturday. if my livies keep getting destroyed by jackets i'm going to give up on the kings and keep a bunch of them for a meal :)

Next time i go out before i drop down any live squid i'm first gonna drop a live bait rig to see what's around as i hate wasting them to leatherjacket. :mad3:

I only cut off the jackets heads on the boat - filletted them at home - don't think that would be a problem with fisheries as there's no legal size to them so technically can't alter the size!! :1prop: All other fish i do at the bait tables at the ramp - saves getting scales through the boat!