Electric Motor

gretsch

Gidday All,

I have a new boat being constructed and I want to put a bow mount electric on it for sneaking around when rubbering.

I have looked at the Minn Kota, Motor Guide and Watersnake sites and I am a bit confused.

My boat is a 6.2m platey side console. The Minn Kota site recommends 101lbs of thrust.

Does anyone have an electric on a bigger boat? If so, what thrust rating do you have?

Also, I am keen for the wireless feature so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Gidday All,

I have a new boat being constructed and I want to put a bow mount electric on it for sneaking around when rubbering.

I have looked at the Minn Kota, Motor Guide and Watersnake sites and I am a bit confused.

My boat is a 6.2m platey side console. The Minn Kota site recommends 101lbs of thrust.

Does anyone have an electric on a bigger boat? If so, what thrust rating do you have?

Also, I am keen for the wireless feature so any info would be greatly appreciated.

For that size boat Ceph you will require a minimum 80lb of thrust :1prop:

Thanks Stewie.. I wil have a hunt around and see what is available in that rating or more.

I have had the minn-kota for 4 yrs now and its been pretty good to me thus far :biggrin2: RP 55 BOW MOUNT

Hi, on a plate boat of this size, with the windage that high sided plate boats have I think the M/K 80lb Terrova would be the minium thrust you would want. I chose to sell M/K, but all brands are OK, I just prefer the M/K and I have Watersnake and MG wanting us to stock theirs as well. The new Terrova with the better deployment, auto-piot and co-pilot are good bits of gear.

PM me if you would like the Raider price on the M/K and if ready to go now I will see if I can get at the old price.

Cheers,

Huey.

I have a 70pounder Minnkota on my 4.1 poly and it works a treat. being a 24volt system the battery also last longer.

Buy the best your money can buy I reckon, a big boat like yours would require alot of thrust to move her along.

I've had Minnkotas for the past 5 Years, 55lbs on the old boat.

BLA services them and been quite happy with their service, one way or another one of the parts will break down. That's why BLA is so good with their turnaround time when repairing them.

Never really looked at other brands really but I guess they're just as good. Minnkota's proven aftersales service made me go back to them.

EDIT: I bought mine from Huey they had the best prices in town !!

Edited by bmar560

Hi, on a plate boat of this size, with the windage that high sided plate boats have I think the M/K 80lb Terrova would be the minium thrust you would want.

I agree. I had a 72lb maxxum on my old 480 Top Ender. At first I thought it might be overkill, but I'm glad I went with a bigger motor in the end. Even in strong winds it could get hard to control. I would think 80lb would be the absolute minimum for your boat.

Cheers, Greg

Hi Ceph

Almost blackfish time mate!

I'm still thinking for the Contender and electric motor as well.

101lb seems the min. My 80lb on the Skeeters did a good job but in crappy conditions I still wanted more!

I'm worried that the 60" shaft will still pop out to much when out at sea while snappering.

The other one was the clip on the motor style but are not remote.....

Greg

I Have a Minn Kota 55 Terrova on my 4.50 M runabout and it is a good electric. I have the hand remote control instead of the foot pedal, and it comes with the autopilot. The remote control is awesome. You can stand anywhere on the boat and control the motor with a push of a button.

I Have a Minn Kota 55 Terrova on my 4.50 M runabout and it is a good electric. I have the hand remote control instead of the foot pedal, and it comes with the autopilot. The remote control is awesome. You can stand anywhere on the boat and control the motor with a push of a button.

Hi chopper75,

If possible, can you post a photo or 2 of your setup as I am thinking about an electric for my 4.5m runabout :1Lighten: ? I am interested in the placement, shaft length and what alterations you may have had to do to the boat. Any tips would be appreciated. I was in a big chain fishing store recently and unfortunately they were not able to give me any definite advice. PM me if you prefer.

Sorry Ceph – don’t’ mean to hijack your thread….and good luck with your decision…. :beersmile:

Cheers,

Cam

Hi chopper75,

If possible, can you post a photo or 2 of your setup as I am thinking about an electric for my 4.5m runabout :1Lighten: ? I am interested in the placement, shaft length and what alterations you may have had to do to the boat. Any tips would be appreciated. I was in a big chain fishing store recently and unfortunately they were not able to give me any definite advice. PM me if you prefer.

Sorry Ceph – don’t’ mean to hijack your thread….and good luck with your decision…. :beersmile:

Cheers,

Cam

Hi Cam,

I had the electric motor mounting plate custom made by a metal fabricator. Also the fabricator cut the bow rail, and moulded it in shape as well to accomodate the electric motor plate. Then he painted the mounting plate and bow rail.If you want details who I used for this job, please PM me. He did a fantastic job, looked like it came out of the factory. It wasn't cheap, but well worth the expense.

My boat is a 4.50M runabout, and this motor is awesome. 55lb Minn Kota.

post-3324-1242214147_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1242214166_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1242214183_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1242214201_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1242214224_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1242214250_thumb.jpg

Nice job Chopper. Looks very good. I don't have an issue with mounting.. plent of space on the nose.

Greg, I have been niggerin a bit of late and it has bene a tad slow. The spawn run should start soon and the action will fire up!

I too looked at the 101. Huey reckons an 80 wil do the job but I like the idea of some extra grunt.

He gave me a very sharp price on an 80 by the way.

Thanks for all the replies. :thumbup:

Nice job Chopper. Looks very good. I don't have an issue with mounting.. plent of space on the nose.

Greg, I have been niggerin a bit of late and it has bene a tad slow. The spawn run should start soon and the action will fire up!

I too looked at the 101. Huey reckons an 80 wil do the job but I like the idea of some extra grunt.

He gave me a very sharp price on an 80 by the way.

Thanks for all the replies. :thumbup:

Hi Chris, the 101Lb will offer more "grunt" but they are 36V so the weight of the 3rd battery can counteract most of that extra grunt. Also last time I priced one up it was dear and they are an order in only and that takes time.

The 80Lb on your boat will work fine in all except the worse conditions in terms of wind and current.

I will find out what the latest price for the 101 is from the US and let you know,

Cheers,

Craig.

PS-I have sent the price for the 101lb Terrova when you get a minute mate.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine