Large Yellow Tail

Justin

Hi all

recently ive found a spot where i can catch large yellow tails quite regularly at night

by large i mean around the 30cm mark

my question is, do you think a bait like this is too large to catch a school jew or legal kingfish if it was used alive and whole?

filletting is always an option tho id rather use live baits

i generally use 2 hooks (one on slide) on 30 pound mono with a double line 30 pound mono trace,

also i have yet to catch anything using yellow tail dead or alive.

just wondering what you would all do???

Thanks!

Hi Pinkus,

I was out the other night and could only catch yakkas that were similar size. I wacked em out live and whole but didnt get a touch. I have read that big baits equal big fish but i prefer to go with the theory that even a big fish will eat a small yakka. I will continue to use them live and not filleted even if they are that big(30cm) however i have no experience with butterflying or using fillets. I hope a big shark will scof down the big livie one day and hang on. My opinion would be to be using pretty decent gear if using a whole yakka that size as any fish that will eat it will give a good fight.

Cheers. Mike.

I am not completely sure, but I think what you guy's are actually catching are called Cowanyoung. They are different to Yakka's ( yellow tail scad ). Check out fish book, maybe they are the same thing but I always thought they are different species/sub species.

Anyone else any ideas??

Edited by fishythings

I am not completely sure, but I think what you guy's are actually catching are called Cowanyoung. They are different to Yakka's ( yellow tail scad ). Check out fish book, maybe they are the same thing but I always thought they are different species/sub species.

Anyone else any ideas??

Mate, I have seen you mention this in the past on other posts... I'm not sure i rarely look close enough to notice any subtle differences in the bigger fish but will upload a pic tonight of my 32 cm from last night...

Still, this one might be one for sherlock holmes ey!?

thanks everyone

yeah im with the whole smaller bait would suit a larger size range of fish theory too

ive had luck butterflying dead poddies, bream and tailor seem to like that alot

i think ill stick with the live yellow tail for now

i ate a couple of yellow tail before, too much effort for what it was worth

Just checked out a few fish photo's on the net, so probably think the fish are Yakka's. Just remember fishing with an uncle when I was young, live baiting up at longy and started getting these big "yakka's" and him correcting me and saying they were Cowanyoung. Since then always thought the horse's were different to your stock standard bung.

Mate, I have seen you mention this in the past on other posts... I'm not sure i rarely look close enough to notice any subtle differences in the bigger fish but will upload a pic tonight of my 32 cm from last night...

Still, this one might be one for sherlock holmes ey!?

I read that cowanyoung are generally bigger than yakkas and also yakkas have 73 'scutes' (those ridges down its body) whereas cowanyoung have 74 or more. So if u really care then get counting!

When it comes to using the biggies as bait Im with Jewhunter, chop off the tail or a bit more depending on how big it is, then butterfly and use with a 2 hook snell rig.

Cheers,

Simmo

Edited by Simmo

One point to consider is whether larger species frequent the area your fishing. If this spot is known for jews, kings etc then the bait your catching may very well be their regular food source and would definitely warrant sending one out.

Big bait does equal big fish, but big fish require patience

Cheers

Bobfish

im fishing around Clarkes point in Woolwich at night

went last night from about 8pm to 1am

used a double hook rig with about half (tail half) of a 25cm yellow tail i caught on bread

nothing touched the yellow tail bait, though something very very solid took hold of my lighter line

just had 9 pound mono with a small bead sinker and medium (dunno the size) hook with half a poddy mullet on it

only casted it out about 3 meters and let it drop to the floor next to a pilon. had it resting on a railing. my brother was standing near it at the time it went off. the drag didnt work tho! i think the top of the line was caught on a rod eye or something. whatever took it just bend the rod over quite slowly and continued to swim away. my brother picked it up before it went over the railing and passed it to me. i loosened the drag a bit more. it swam not too quickly around and then started going under the wharf. i tighened the drag and struck it but didnt hook up. the poddy mullet didnt look chewed at all.

what does that sound like?

im thinking a big ray?