Sydney Boaties' Licence Scramble

mrmoshe

Sydney boaties' licence scramble

May 16, 2009 12:00am

SYDNEY'S wannabe boaties are scrambling to get their licences before tougher laws are introduced next month, with almost double the amount of new skippers hitting the water compared to last year.

The NSW Maritime boat licence regulations coming into effect on June 1 require people to prove they've had around 10 hours experience on the water by keeping a log book signed by a licensed skipper.

Currently the process involves a simple course which can be done in a class or online, and a short multiple-choice test.

In the first three months of this year, 13,621 people across NSW successfully applied for their licence compared to 7860 last year.

The RTA and boating companies running boat licence courses across Sydney have been overwhelmed by people keen to pass the test before the deadline.

"It has been too easy for too long to get a boat licence," Sydney Sea School trainer Mark Edmunds said.

• 4 weeks later...

Or get yourself a 3.0m tinnie with a 2HP on it- no license required and no rego required cause they are roof-toppers (unless you have a trailer then you register the trailer only)

Thats what I am going to do

Guess if I really wanted to my bro-in-law has his boat license so can register hours with him when he goes.

Cheers

Anthony

Or get yourself a 3.0m tinnie with a 2HP on it- no license required and no rego required cause they are roof-toppers (unless you have a trailer then you register the trailer only)

Thats what I am going to do

Guess if I really wanted to my bro-in-law has his boat license so can register hours with him when he goes.

Cheers

Anthony

From my understanding, you can drive any boat you like without a licence (except commercial vessels), you're just not allowed to exceed 10 knots.

Also only boats with up to 6hp or above 6hp (not sure which way that goes) require registration, regardless of length.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I also agree it's a great idea, there's too many idiots with good enough comprehension skills to pass the current testing.

:beersmile::beersmile::beersmile:

Edited by LittleNoah

g-day all,, the way i understand the rules is any motor that is capeble of doing more than 10knots regardless of size u must have a licence for... correct me if im wrong

cheers john