Mixed Bag With 1m King

pauljm

Hi raiders..... Left home at 430 this morning to try and beat the wind..... went to get yakkas and could only manage 4 and the sun was coming up so i wanted to get outside to try and beat the wind and fish the hour b4 the tide.... surprisingly the sea was flat so did 20knots plus offshore and anchored perfectly on what we call our spot.... thinking i was goint to get smashed by by leatheries :1badmood: i put down my leathery rig and rigged up a more conventional 20 pound outfit and put it out as well..... got mowie then reddie straight away.....yee ha no lj's..... rigged 6/0 senator and sent livey down and continued fishing for reef fish... one after the other reddies (through 4 back just on legal) and kept 2 ...got a blurter then noticed livey rod was looking a bit heavy.....pulled in and a nice fat pike had taken yakka.....upsized hooks and down went pike.... continued fishing ..another blurter...mowie....reddies then noticed livey rod looking real heavy but not taking line....picked it up and heaps of dead weight so i thought great...cuttle fish...lift and wind and lift and wind and then after a minute or so a couple of headshakes....wait on im now thinking maybe monster jew.....lift and wind lift and wind and then a screaming run.....yee ha! no jew definitely king.....10 minutes of screaming runs later and im contemplating how im gunna get it in as gaff/net is in cabin... so i figured i would have to wear it out and then tail grab it.... a few more minutes and im knackered and thank god so is the fish.....i get colour it goes for the outboard so i turn it and it glides past perfectly for me to reach and tail grab with my last piece of energy! by the time i catch my breath and rerig the reefies had gone off the bite and my last 2 yakkas got attacked by what i assume was leatheries.... amazingly right on the 730 tide change that was it...no other takers and the wind was now officially howling so i went in and got more livies and tried the harbor for zip. Home by 1130 for a good morning out.... ill try post some pics....

Edited by payatz

quote name='payatz' post='305304' date='May 16 2009, 07:00 PM']

Hi raiders..... Left home at 430 this morning to try and beat the wind..... went to get yakkas and could only manage 4 and the sun was coming up so i wanted to get outside to try and beat the wind and fish the hour b4 the tide.... surprisingly the sea was flat so did 20knots plus offshore and anchored perfectly on what we call our spot.... thinking i was goint to get smashed by by leatheries :1badmood: i put down my leathery rig and rigged up a more conventional 20 pound outfit and put it out as well..... got mowie then reddie straight away.....yee ha no lj's..... rigged 6/0 senator and sent livey down and continued fishing for reef fish... one after the other reddies (through 4 back just on legal) and kept 2 ...got a blurter then noticed livey rod was looking a bit heavy.....pulled in and a nice fat pike had taken yakka.....upsized hooks and down went pike.... continued fishing ..another blurter...mowie....reddies then noticed livey rod looking real heavy but not taking line....picked it up and heaps of dead weight so i thought great...cuttle fish...lift and wind and lift and wind and then after a minute or so a couple of headshakes....wait on im now thinking maybe monster jew.....lift and wind lift and wind and then a screaming run.....yee ha! no jew definitely king.....10 minutes of screaming runs later and im contemplating how im gunna get it in as gaff/net is in cabin... so i figured i would have to wear it out and then tail grab it.... a few more minutes and im knackered and thank god so is the fish.....i get colour it goes for the outboard so i turn it and it glides past perfectly for me to reach and tail grab with my last piece of energy! by the time i catch my breath and rerig the reefies had gone off the bite and my last 2 yakkas got attacked by what i assume was leatheries.... amazingly right on the 730 tide change that was it...no other takers and the wind was now officially howling so i went in and got more livies and tried the harbor for zip. Home by 1130 for a good morning out.... ill try post some pics....

post-3371-1242471436_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1242471518_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ray R