Hi Raiders...i've Been In Hospital For The Last 2 Weeks...i'm Back At Home Now

jewgaffer

Hi to all of my Fishraider friends...

I just wanted to let you all know that I am now at home after spending the last two weeks back in hospital... I had to be re-admitted on Friday the 1st of May to have scans and tests for severe aches and pains in the buttocks and legs and other lower back pain generally below the back operation site.... Some pains seem to have come back and other pain has built up during the first week of my coming home from a major back operation which took place on the 15th of April almost a month ago....

As some of you know, after coming home from the operation, I had to be re-admitted to the hospital's neuro surgery ward for further scans and tests to try to find the source or causes of these multi area pains I am suffering from, severe pains which could not be sufficiently dulled by the post-operative pain medicines I was prescibed to take at home...

These pains gradually increased in severity in my buttocks and legs even at rest and moreso upon movement..... The pains became so severe over the course of about a week after coming home to the extent that I could hardly get back to hospital by the Friday when I most needed to, but pushed thru the leg pains to do so with a lot of help and understanding from my best mate and wife of 45 years, Shirley.......

I was under the care of an outside consultant neuro surgeon in charge of a team of neuro surgeons known as the neuro surgery department's trauma team.... He had operated himself and had a very experienced hospital neuro surgeon also working hands on with him in an operation which lasted about 4 hours and was descibed in the surgery report as having no complications..........

I had no after affects from the four hour anaesthetic whatsoever and had a good nights sleep free of pain in my ward, I would say by using a push button attached to a machine which measures a top up dose of pain relief medicine into a drip every five minutes when necessary... I felt good on the pain tablets for a few days after the operation and soon sat on a chair trying to walk slowly around on a frame every now and then and later made my way on the frame into a court yard to meet visitors and chat with other patients and soon found a few new fishing friends who were recovering well from their operations.......

Anyway after I was re-admitted back into hospital, a post operative MRI scan and the report revealed that bone, flesh and ligament etc had been cut away successfully and according to the photos and the doctor's report show the bone and flesh causing the pressure on nerves are now clear of the affected nerves in the vertebral L1/2 area and the nerves in the vertebral L3/4 area which are also close to the spine are apparently also clear of pressure from same......

A full nuclear medicine bone scan was also performed during my latest stay and actually done on all bones from head to toes and that scan and report eliminated any nasties from being the cause of the pains.... Also I was informed by a spokesman doctor who is part of the in-house trauma team that doppler ultra sound scans of the legs and related arteries and looking for small clots in the veins, that apparently service the nerves, have been ruled out as a most unlikely reason for the pains and described to me as being more or less an unnecessary procedure......

So it appears taming the pain by regularly taking pain medicine prescribed by the pain doctors and trying to virtually re-educate muscles by having ongoing rehabilition as an outpatient, which is next on the agenda,and hopefully may lead to an improvement of my situation over time, and cortizone injections into pain source areas will also be considered and may help as well....

In the meantime Geoff aka Geoff on Fishraider, being very knowledgable and the good bloke that he is, will help me install a larger live bait tank on my boat to be used in conjunction with a couple of back flow pumps, so as to have a re-circulated water flow running thru burley as a means of attracting fish into a chosen spot, something which I have been planning to do since fish became scarce during the ongoing extreme cold last autumn and winter which led to mass migration of estuary fish in general in the Sydney area and along with that the lack of incoming breeeding size fish was obvious.......

I would like to thank all those members who inquired in forum or phoned about my well being and I am surprised at the number of pms I received from members sending their best wishes from the word go.....

I read quite a few reports last night and I am not surprised at the so many pages of posts with pics of some decent fish caught and I certainly need Fishraider to assist in my recovery to as good as it will add up to from the operation which had to be done to try and get me better following a boating collision up north where I was a passenger in a boat that struck another boat which had no lights on, resulting in the skipper of that vessel admitting he thought there was no need to anchor in a main channel with a light on and subsquently being charged for the offence......

My skipper and his offsider were very observant on a cold winter night when hardly any others boats were out fishing... However the dark colour of the hull and the overhead storm covers on the boat with no lights on blended into and were described to me sitting in the bow bench seat as being part of the background lights on the shore ....Be careful out there at night raiders, even if you just plough thru the water at night doesn't mean you are safe from anything unexpected or unforeseen that can happen to you and yours when you are out on the water.....

If those members who have offered in the past or if any other members wants to have me with them out on their boat just let me know when you intend having a jewfish session and if I am up to it on the day, I wouldn't mind a walk on walk off session to hopefully get onto a jew or two, and naturally at this stage with a bit of help with my gear etc and assistance aboard will help where necessary and we can only wait and see what happens then :thumbup:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Good read mate, that certainly explains things, you are having a rough trot at the moment but as you say , Shirley, your guardian angel and your close friends helping you through these tough times I'm sure you make a good recovery.

Glad to hear your are still enjoying the posts..

Cheers...

glad to hear your back on the mend byron. I am going through some stuff of my own at the moment and will be moving to North Richmond in the next week or so but once settled in I will definately contact you and hopefully we can get a fish in at wisemans ferry for jew before they dissapear for the winter.

Pete.

Glad to hear your back on the mend Byron. I am going through some stuff of my own at the moment and will be moving to North Richmond in the next week or so but once settled in I will definitely contact you and hopefully we can get a fish in at wisemans ferry for Jew before they dissapear for the winter.

Pete.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement Raiders ! ....... Tell you what I never thought a bloke could get constant pain in the back and pain all over buttocks and pains in the legs like this after a back injury and an operation that my present neuro surgeon was pleased with but it seems the boating collision I was involved in Ballina upset things more than can be seen and determined ....The area around a previous back operation which I was steadily recovering from in Ballina, didn't feel right after striking the bow overhang and being thrown around the boat I was in...... The neuro surgeon professor who operated on my back after I fractured vertebra in a heavy fall, the reason for the professor's operation, didn't feel another operation was warranted when I returned to Sydney and saw him after the boating collision and as it was I had been steadily recovering well leading up to it.......

Maybe I either hurt my spine in the collision or a couple of bones got jammed up or something and couldn't be righted in the latest operation because the surgeon who performed the operation in April was quite pleased from his point of view and the post operative MRI and bone scan results and the tests performed in hospital over the past couple of weeks showed no problems for concern in the operation area or anywhere else for that matter.....

Just want to let everyone know that I am very healthy otherwise, no blood pressure or cholesterol or nasty things either..... Anyway the bottom line is, after having post operative re-admission and having further scans, it was shown that there is nothing else showing in my back that needs to be operated on......

I guess I'll just have to try and get thru it or grin and bear it and hope my hobbling around does improve with rehabilitation because, health wise it can be a vicious circle if you don't get out and about and walk a lot and, although the tablets don't give much pain relief, I'm not shuffling from spot to spot holding onto things quite as much as I do off them....

I'm used to fishing at least two or three times a week but the trouble is back pain can be very offputting and leg pain can slow you right down to a stop when it hurts too much and it's hard for others to understand or relate to, in fact it's made me quite compassionate towards others who have similar problems and particularly to those who are much worse off than others ......

Anyway back to fishing...Musty you have done quite well in the Georges and caught some nice young school Jew in the last couple of weeks in one or or two little spots.... still the Georges has lots of other little spots, so it looks like the schools have come in with more on the way as we get a cooler show for a week or two like the mid Autumns in the past...By the way thanks for the invite Musty, my mate Esky6 reckons you're ok and won't give me a headache .... So to you mate thanks and let's get down there :thumbup:

Pete/Tide'n'knots we will get that session in thanks, hope your move to North Richmond is very successful in the long run and a good one for you and your family......

The trouble is it's hard to say whether or not the breeding schools will concentrate up as far as Wiseman's in a given year but when you take everything into account some big Jew have been caught up there and further over the years.... So for mid river and mouth fishermen, the grass could well be greener on the other side and the only way to find out is to keep your eyes and ears open and try all those areas yourself with a good variety of bait and consistency :thumbup:

To the members who have contacted me keen to have landbased jewfish sessions with me, you are quite welcome to come along with my friends and myself, when I'm up to fishing without pain hindering me and particularly moving around as landbased fishing requires ........

Cheers

Jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

G'day Byron,

Hope you're coming along ok now. Sounds like a bit of a drama but once it's over I hope you'll have a lot of your mobility back and be pain free. I've still got your MT7144 tucked away.

Best wishes, Slinky

Thanks for the kind words Tony....Yes that old 7144 snyder of yours, terrific you keeping it for me thanks mate..... If the winter get's too cold down here I'll come up to Ballina if I can and I would hope to be not far from Beenleigh for a while and would love to catch up with Grant and yourself again...tell Grant I'll mow the lawn and then fish off his ride on mower if I have to...

Cheers :thumbup:

Byron

Hi Byron,

sorry to hear of your troubles, it sounds like you have been through quite a bit lately.

I hope you are healing up and getting your mobility back, at least so you can sit in a boat and dangle a line over the edge.

Good luck and take care.

regards

Cam

• 2 weeks later...