Where To Target Leather Jacks?

5ky

Hi guys, parents bought couple frozen leather jacks from the markets and they taste greate, the meat just falls off the bones,.. been fishing a while but i never caught any of them fishes before? anyone know whats a good place to catch these fishes? and what baits to use? btw im landbased, no boat hehe,... :1fishing1:

Edited by 5ky

hi 5ky,

just try around any of the wharves or piers around sydney harbour and drop the line straight down amongst the pylons. I catch them from a boat but I have seen them around circular quay and from the path around the shoreline at the botanical gardens. I am sure that if you fished around anywhere from the cruise terminal near the bridge or towards pier 1 or darling harbour etc you would find them.

if they arent there move until you find them. I use a paternoster rig with 2 droppers and a small long shank hook, and a small piece of peeled prawn or squid on the hook. usually if you find 1 there are usually others.

they are fairly easy to catch and taste great!

hope this helps, good luck

pete.

Hi guys, parents bought couple frozen leather jacks from the markets and they taste greate, the meat just falls off the bones,.. been fishing a while but i never caught any of them fishes before? anyone know whats a good place to catch these fishes? and what baits to use? btw im landbased, no boat hehe,... :1fishing1:

anywhere and anything.

Come to anywhere in port hacking and clean them out for us please :P

I'm sure you will get many 'thank you's from other fishraiders for doing so.

In regards to actually catching them... i seem to always catch them on anything (all kinds of stinky baits and scented lures) when i don't want to catch them... but as soon as i start to target them they seem to disappear... hmmm

Also, if you notice that you keep losing your baits without feeling much... then they are most likely leather jackets. Try and use small baits and hooks because they have small mouths.

Come to anywhere in port hacking and clean them out for us please :P

I'm sure you will get many 'thank you's from other fishraiders for doing so.

In regards to actually catching them... i seem to always catch them on anything (all kinds of stinky baits and scented lures) when i don't want to catch them... but as soon as i start to target them they seem to disappear... hmmm

Also, if you notice that you keep losing your baits without feeling much... then they are most likely leather jackets. Try and use small baits and hooks because they have small mouths.

strangely enough, I haven't encountered any leather jackets at Lilli Pilli in a while. First time I got there around March, there were plenty.

Sometimes when I'm after em they're not there ....

AAAHHH leather jackets!

I have a guaranteed strategy!

Target anything else but leather jackets and when your hooks and baits start disappearing (usually within a few minutes as it has been in the harbour for a few days now), then drop down your jacket rig.

Maybe you could also try a grenade, just to make sure you really get the buggers.

We had them nearly jumping out of the water on the weekend chasing everything and anything we cast. Had to use metal lures just to get to any other kind of fish!

Good luck, bring on the slaughter!!

Dave

Hey mate I'm not sure what anyone else would say but when i've been out targeting other species around sow and pig's reef near the heads the LJ's are the only things that i can manage to get on my line, they are in plague proportions. I suggest trying anywhere around Sow and Pigs reef and underneath the shipping channel markers towards the heads.

Cheers

Hey mate I'm not sure what anyone else would say but when i've been out targeting other species around sow and pig's reef near the heads the LJ's are the only things that i can manage to get on my line, they are in plague proportions. I suggest trying anywhere around Sow and Pigs reef and underneath the shipping channel markers towards the heads.

Cheers

Might be a bit hard as the OP is landbased !! Thanks for that info , I will try there next week !!

Ross