Night Fishing At Botany

robust

Hi Raiders,

I'm thinking of going out to botany this friday night on the boat weather permitting and was hoping the experts can give me some advice on spots to try...

I'm not all that familar with fishing at botany let alone at night.........also what precautions should i take in terms of any hazards and also are the conditions rough out there?

any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob

I completely agree with Musty. I went for my second night fish in Sydney Harbour about a month ago. It was pretty horrible conditions but i know Sydney pretty well as i grew up living on the water there. I know my fishing results dont show that though. It was very, very scarey not being able to see sweet FA and smashing into chop. The first time i went out was on the Hawkesbury and it was equally as confusing. I spent my entire time staring at my mates GPS so i was sure that we werent about to run into a side bank as you cant see very well at all. If you are hell bent on going then try and take someone that knows the waterway well or at very least take it slowly and dojnt get boozed up which is pretty tempting. Cheers. Mike.

Edited by Wantingaboat

Couldnt agree more with the above posts.

If you arent familiar with it by day , for Gods sake dont try it at night. If you really have to get out there , please go with someone who does know it , The Bay has many traps for young players .

Ross

+1 for all the above

It took me 2 years to gain confidence in heading up the hawksburry in thick fog at night. about a year to do the harbour solo at night and i have been fishing boath for about 20 years.

Botany scares the .... out of me at night if a weather change is on its way.

Take care.

Went out on the Bay last Saturday (morning), it was rough, ended up staying anchored just out from the Cooks river behind the runway wall, less choppy compared to in the open out towards the end of the runway and middle of the bay, but I did fish their at night a few months back, and on that particular night it was very calm, no wind, no swell or waves at all.

What you might want to do is head out say around 3:30pm/4:00pm while there is still plenty of light, use that time to find you bearings (it doesn't take much time to travel around the bay).

But a word of warning, there is plenty of work happening in the middle of the bay at the moment, alot of area is roped off (and no hazzard lights to mark it either), I think it's due to laying pipes from Kurnell to across the bay for the new desalination plant.

http://www.sydneywater.com.au/MajorProject...baypipeline.cfm

Where to fish in the bay, if it's not rough, head out towards the end of the 3rd Runway, or towards the deep shipping chanels at Port Botany.

Good Luck!

Edited by Longy

Like everyone else said, don't venture out into unknown territory at night...It's going to be almost pitch black out there.... It's just like fishing anywhere, first you have to scout the area, locate the hazards and pick the good and safe looking spots.

Maybe you could stay inside the mouths of the rivers? Like fish around Captain Cook's bridge, at least you'll have some light sources around you. And if anything were to happen, you would feel assured that you are close to land and help is at hand.

thanks for all the tips and advice guys, you've certainly helped me make up my mind about tomorrow night as i am still learning the ropes.....think i'll just stick to going out in the day until i confidantly know what i'm doing.

Cheers,

anyway, I've always found fishing early (just on sun rise) has been more productive then at night, but that's just my experience.

will be looking to get out to Botany Bay during the Queen's Birthday long weekend, might see you on the water!

If you don't feel confident just wait for a clear night near full moon. I'm not sure why this hasn't been suggested yet.

Recently fished the hawkesbury on a new moon. Zero wind. The sensation of travelling over still water in the pitch black is something else. You come under the bridge and then it just goes black. If you look over the side when you are up on plane there is nothing below you. Almost feels like flying. So it does have its positives.

Avoid chop and if your instincts are telling you to stop then STOP.

If you don't feel confident just wait for a clear night near full moon. I'm not sure why this hasn't been suggested yet.

Recently fished the hawkesbury on a new moon. Zero wind. The sensation of travelling over still water in the pitch black is something else. You come under the bridge and then it just goes black. If you look over the side when you are up on plane there is nothing below you. Almost feels like flying. So it does have its positives.

Avoid chop and if your instincts are telling you to stop then STOP.

:1fishing1: Thanks for the tip Wolf.......might just head down to the hacking if the weather holds up and sit myself in a sheltered bay and have a go .

:1fishing1: Thanks for the tip Wolf.......might just head down to the hacking if the weather holds up and sit myself in a sheltered bay and have a go .

Drop in at Wally Wharf (Hacking) lots of light, cruize out 30 - 40m and drop in some big baits. Most nights I can get crab. Plus the occasional Jew and Snapper, lots of bream.

However I was there last night and all was quiet. 1 Squid and 1 Blue Swimmer. No fish to be found.