What Is Your Beach Outfit?

BeachAngler

As the topic says, what is your beach combo?

I use two different rods, a MT4144 and an 8144.

Both are matched to 6000 size reels spooled with 10kg mono.

The 4144 is a great hand held rod, perfect from everything from bream and whiting through to salmon and tailor. The 8144 is a great rod for bigger adventures and also gets a good workout off the rocks for everything from drummer and groper to bonnies and salmon.

I normally run with a 10kg flurocarbon leader, and my favourite rig is a paternoster either single or double hook version.

My beach rig is a Shimano Technium Surf Rod - 13 ft with a Shimano BTR6500 spooled with 30lb mono.

The rig is:

CHEMICALLY SHARPENED 8/0 OCTOPUS HOOKS x 2

HEAVY DUTY 40 LB BALL BEARING SWIVEL

100CM LONG 30KG CLEAR MONO TRACE

GREEN LUMO BEAD

Mainly used for kingfish, small sharks, small sharks, salmon, tuna.

post-6058-1243585866_thumb.jpg

I have two set ups

A 12 ft Shimano Technium 6-10 kg with either a Shakespeare tidewater spinning reel rigged with 30 lb mono (also my rock fishing unit) or a Penn SS6500 J reel with 20lb braid (my wharf fishing unit also) for Jew and other pelagics and yes I have been smoked on this set-up

or a 12 foot penn cronulla light action rod with a 4000 size Penn (or the above spinfisher) with 10 lb mono. For smaller pelagics (tailor,salmon and bream, whiting etc).

I have mutliple rigs from light to heavy paternosters, snapper rigs, weighted and unweighted gang hooks (prefer with swivels or snelled) to live bait rigs (one and two hook) and simple running sinkers for bream and whiting)

I have yet to land a jew but did cut off a presumed school shark (was a shark of some sort) earlier this year after a 6 minute fight

Leaders vary from 60 lb penn to 15 lb mono or even 10 lb for the smaller fish.

My favourite beach outfit is my Diawa Sensor Surf graphite rod with a Diawa Tournament 7ht mag overhead reel. This is a magnetic tournament casting reel which can cast an absolute mile. There is a lot of bare spool showing after a cast - the 5.8:1 ratio comes in handy for reeling back all the line! Sometimes I use my ABU 7200 on the rod for heavier fishing (ie jewies).

A pulley rig comes in handy for distance casting:

Below is a pulley rig in the casting position:

post-1294-1243587516_thumb.jpg

post-1294-1243587650_thumb.jpg

Edited by billfisher

Whoa billfisher thats some hard core stuff.

So far I havent come accross much that can do me on 10kg line, although I have been smoked more than a few times off the rocks using 10kg.

I have considered using a Daiwa Millionaire on the beach rods but can a threadline beach rod handle an overhead reel? (i.e. is the rod going to break being bent in the opposite direction?)

Whoa billfisher thats some hard core stuff.

So far I havent come accross much that can do me on 10kg line, although I have been smoked more than a few times off the rocks using 10kg.

I have considered using a Daiwa Millionaire on the beach rods but can a threadline beach rod handle an overhead reel? (i.e. is the rod going to break being bent in the opposite direction?)

Rods have a backbone or spine, so if it's a threadline rod and set up on the spine then you will lose the spine by fishing an overhead. That said it's a fairly subtle thing and you probably won't notice a difference. The main drawback will probably be the butt section not being long enough for an overhead. Also not enough guides meaning the line can touch the blank.

You can always try a few casts with the Millionaire and if you like it as a surf reel then get an overhead rod down the track.

Billfisher,

Interesting set up.

Can you explain how a pulley rig works?

What is the trimmed and opened 1/0 hook for? What do you attach your main line to (one of the swivels ?) What is the breakaway part?

Just cant quite figure out how it all fits together :wacko::wacko:

Evets

Billfisher,

Interesting set up.

Can you explain how a pulley rig works?

What is the trimmed and opened 1/0 hook for? What do you attach your main line to (one of the swivels ?) What is the breakaway part?

Just cant quite figure out how it all fits together :wacko::wacko:

Evets

The trimmed hook clips over your bait hook. That is the breakaway part - when the rig hits the water some slack is created and the bait hook will release itself. The main line is attached to the free sliding swivel (position 6 in the photo), hence the pulley effect.

There are a variety of other clipped down rigs you can use. There are special cascade swivels and breakaway devices from the UK. Using both you can have a two hook patternoster rig with both the hooks clipped down. When the bottom hook releases a cascade effect is created which releases the top hook.

Edited by billfisher

hey i have a number of beach outfits that i use interchangably depending on conditions... the reels i use are 2 penn 6000vs 1 spooled with 12 one spooled with 15 and an alvey 7.5inch surf spooled with 20lb mono...

one of these reels will soon be replaced with a baitrunner probably an okuma 80c or something similar in size and that will be spooled with 20lb and thagt will become my jew outfit and the alvey will then be respooled with the 15lb

sooo in the end penn 6000v 12lb

penn 6000v 15lb

alvey 7.5inch 15lb

okuma 80 20lb

rod wise i have a few that i like the onee i do most of my surf fishing for bream and whiting is also soon to be upgraded but is about 20 years old and is a 12 foot fairly floppy jervis walker port hacking and in calm conditions is incredible for fishing for whiting and bream and can cast some small ball sinkers and worms and pipis around

my main surf rod is a old 12 foot lb husky alvey mount that does an awesome jobn on sambos and tailor and some of the bigger bream off the beach and also does ok for casting out wide off the stones...

however as i mentioned earlier in one of my other posts i will soon do some shuffling round of my rock and beqach gear when i finish paying off my new babys 3 new snyders that will olead to me having to purchase a new alvey and a new baitrunner but its all part of the game..[

I have 2 setups .

1. snyder glas MT144 8W with a penn spinfisher 950ssm and 30 - 50 lb braid

2. wilson FSU 4120 "overhead" matched to a shimano speedmaster and 30 lb mono

also had a really nice live fibre 6-8kg stick and a shimano baitrunner 4500 but my old mad closed the car window on the blank and crushed it .. :1badmood:

:1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1:

o and also an alvey 650

Edited by fisho1990

Light

4126 - 5.5in narrow spool Alvey - 4 or 6kg

Light beach, beach corners, whiting, flathead, bream, blackfish etc choppers & salmon in nice conditions + squidding outfit off the rocks

Medium

Wilson Livefibre 13'6" (RLF44) or a home made MT6132

Alvey 6in direct wind (25yrs old) - 10kg line

Used for everything else - tailor, salmon, jew off beach. Rocks and breakwalls for drummer, snapper, tailor etc

High Speed Spin outfits - both 10kg line

old school glass blank (possibly Sportex?) + seascape 621 standard

10ft shimano beastmaster elite & daiwa saltist 30TH (can easy fish 15kg thru this one)

Heavy

7156 (i think?) 13'6'' pole + Alvey 650 with drag & 15kg line

Not a favourite - but has it's place if kings turn up at the tailor spot or need to chuck a big lead & bait - may be replaced with the heaviest of the 13' Livefibres or an 8144.

Generally use Platypus low stretch or Platypus super 100.

All very effecitve bit of gear for their chosen application - owner just needs more time away to use them all!!

got a couple of setups

first one is for spinning got the 305 seajigger matched with a 4000 sustain casts forever

second i got a heartland surf 1202hfs rod matched with a saltiga surf 6000 also casts a mile

cheers

Custom 12ft jew stick matched with a Au 10000 with 30 lb fireline. Also matched with an old Daiwa sealine fished with 24-40kg mono for breakwall jew. This beast will pull the plug.

Custom fsu 5120 ( thanks Slinky!) & a shimano bbt 10.Used with an Abu 7000 loaded with 10kg fireline.

12 ft Wilson 8144 for the light threadline stuff.

12 ft Silstar 7144 ( like an ugly stick) as an allrounder.

Reels, line & rigs vary to suit target species.

Cheers,

Grant.

I got two old, and I mean old yellow 12 footers. Cant even see the sticker on them anymore. I think they got passed down to my dad, and then to me. They seem to do the trick. I think everyone has one of these sitting around. Pretty heavy though.

Reels. Shimano BTR6500s.

Also I have a Silstar 9 footer for casting slugs into the surf. Use a penn spinfisher on this.