North Coast Bassing

Lizardboy

Hi,

I'm heading up the coast this Friday to attend residentials held in Lismore for a marine science course I am undertaking externally through Southern Cross Uni.

Uni doesn't start until next Tuesday so I'm looking stop off somewhere along the way and do some river bass fishing. I was thinking somewhere around Grafton or further north and maybe fish the Clarence, Nymboida or Richmond but I'm really not sure where to start as I don't really know any of these areas very well. I will have my canoe and electric with me and it will be all C & R.

If anyone can point me in the right direction as to where to start looking that would be really apreciated

I'm hoping to escape the main drag and access some less fished areas, but still only be doing day trips.

Any accomodation suggestions also appreciated.

Cheers,

Gus

G'day Gus

I replied on SF as well

There is a place above Grafton called Copmanhurst and I have caught plenty of bass theer. Its about a 45min drive from Grafton. There is a pretty goot boat ramp there so getting the canoe in wont be a problem.

We have used deep divers and spinner baits both of which have produced fish. The only problem with the place is there are just to many good looking places to cast at.

There is a small set of rapids just up from the boat ramp and we usually fish from there down river.

Thanks Dacobra, Whatever you can come up with will be greatly appreciated!

I have an old Subaru wagon, 4wd, but without the clearance, although with the air suspension you can jack it up a couple of inches.

Cheers Jethro,

Just the type of info I was after, I'll have a look for Copmanhurst on a map tonight.

Any idea if there's anywhere to camp around there or cheap accomodation?

You said there is some rapids just up from the boat ramp, do you have to negotiate any rapids further down stream (i haven't tried to negotiate any in my canoe as yet :1wine: ) and would the electric motor be suitable for getting back upstream? One last question any Cod around? (replied on SF as well)

Swoffa,

I've been meaning to check out some of the streams around newcastle. Port Stephens way, but I'll be heading much further North this trip.

Cheers,

Gus

Hey mate all my dads relos are from that way probarly a bit further nth at inverell. I fished the severn for some cod and my grandpas dam is stoked with yellas. I could get you the adress for that property if you wanted so u can give it a go one day. Just tell us ill send you a pm.

Gus,

No joy - my friend is away on a business trip so I can't give you the latest goss.

However, he fishes the Camden Haven River both up and downstream from the ramp at the pacific highway crossing near Rossglen. He catches more bass up towards Kendall while downstream towards the lake he boats more bream than bass.

He has a productive bass spot on a feeder stream but I have forgotten the

directions and its 4wd for sure. Probably best to forget it anyway after this rain.

Maybe this isn't far enough north for you but I hope you get amongst them!

Thanks Tyrone,

I have just checked out the Severn on the Map.

Thanks again Dacobra, I've had a breakthrough... It looks like I'll be heading to Grafton....

:biggrin2: I just got off the phone to a mate . who used to live in Grafton, he's teed me up to meet up with an old friend of his...so I've got a place to crash and local guide that loves bass fishing :thumbup: . And he calls them Perch not bass, apparently the local lingo up that way!

Jethro, i mentioned Copmanhurst and he mentioned we may head up that way.

The following week whilst I'm based in Lismore for Uni I have booked a Cabin in town on the banks of the Wilson River, its apparently 100 metres from the water so guess what I'll be doing before end after uni...its a marine science degree I reckon I can get way with calling it study :1prop:

Cheers,

Gus

ps look forward to posting some pics!

There are no rapids to negotiate at Copmanhurst. If there hasn't been to much rain there is usually just a slow flow in the river. Not sure about accommodation its only a small town. If you have got a place to crash in Grafton that would be ideal. Its only about 45mins to 1hr away.

My old man lives in Grafton and he calls them Perch as well. The saying goes if you catch and release they are Bass if you take them home they are Perch. There are few old timers up there that give teh bass a flogging by taking more than their bag limit.

If you have got a few days it might even be worth doing "The Gorge". I have read a few articles on it and it looks awesome. You would need a fiar bit of local info though