Mix Bag

been going 3 times in a row ending in friday in my tempo fisherman 2

geting to know the place we fished kurnell

all fish caught on gulps. early morning

range of trev usually 10ish to 3-5 bream and my friend always manages 2 flatheads

best day being friday morning, got to get enuf feed before july =)

released tons of undersized trev and snapper

good forever lasting memories.

post-10401-1244182238_thumb.jpg

Is that at kurnell groynes? Wow that's a nice bag! I'm still waiting to catch a legal trevally :wacko:

Must start fishing there more often. Last time i went and flicked plastics there i got zilch, then a small family turns up with kids and all, drops a handline with float right next to the groyne and got a stonker bream ><... so jealous.

Nice effort at Kurnell in the yak CJ and after all that in all the bleak weather, what a nice sunny day today turned out to be for our Saturday day and night fishermen :thumbup: ..... I don't think Botany Bay has fished this well for as long as it has for years.....Even if the weather gets colder it looks like there will be a lot more fish spawning around Kurnell for quite a while yet and not only is there acres of winter trevally to come, this year we might have a big influx of Kurnell's near forgotten winter specials i.e. the big schools of......??? ..... CJ, just for fun see if you can guess or anyone else for that matter, what species the big schools of Kurnell's old winter specials used to be - the hint is every bream lovers table favourite and weed beds..... :huh::D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

no their not that big only 30-32

its the photo angle

lol

:1prop:

look at penguins post, its been too long since i caught a 38cm

Nice effort at Kurnell in the yak CJ and after all that in all the bleak weather, what a nice sunny day today turned out to be for our Saturday day and night fishermen :thumbup: ..... I don't think Botany Bay has fished this well for as long as it has for years.....Even if the weather gets colder it looks like there will be a lot more fish spawning around Kurnell for quite a while yet and not only is there acres of winter trevally to come, this year we might have a big influx of Kurnell's near forgotten winter specials i.e. the big schools of......??? ..... CJ, just for fun see if you can guess or anyone else for that matter, what species the big schools of Kurnell's old winter specials used to be - the hint is every bream lovers table favourite and weed beds..... :huh::D

Cheers

can't be whiting can it?

.......can't be whiting can it?

CJ Read my reply again mate......." this year we might have a big influx of Kurnell's near forgotten winter specials i.e. the big schools of......??? ..... CJ, just for fun see if you can guess or anyone else for that matter, what species the big schools of Kurnell's old winter specials used to be - the hint is every bream lovers table favourite and weed beds..... :huh::D ..."

You could still get a late run of larger whiting, although whiting generally start to come into Sydney estuaries in spring......

The species I am asking you to name are one of my family's and my own favourite eating fish and the species haven't been around Sydney in large schools for a few years now, but the signs are there already....... CJ Put your thinking cap on mate :thumbup: Have another go and remember the words "near forgotten winter species" and you should be able to get right in a couple of goes anyway :biggrin2:

Cheers

Can you just give us the answer jewgaffer? :P

......Very curious to know the answer but have no idea.

Have a couple of guesses Monch, the answer is easy when you eliminate all the winter fish...Everyone would know these fish are good eating but have been scarce in good numbers for a few years now and were generally missing throughout Sydney last year.....I'm counting on winter being quite different this year and the the coming temperature drop at this late stage will favour these fish.....

Cheers

.....john dory?

....so did i get it right?

lol

No way is the answer John Dory CJ .....If you got that one right there would be a rush of restaurant owners wanting to fish in weed beds in Botany Bay for John Dory :D

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer

If I was fishing for the particular fish I'm referring to I would fish at Kurnell from the bottom of the tide to around half way into the run in depending on the bite activity in any closer - tip...... Kurnell is an ideal side for estuary species to drop their spawn compared with the flow into Yarra Bay and the losses, something I had explained to me as a kid by netters......I would fish at sun up or sun down which I believe is also the time for other species to spawn near an estuary mouth.... I believe estuary fish spawn in a voluntary motion in the proximity of or in the entrance that leads to a river, timed to coincide with the flow in of a run in tide........

The species I'm referring to are a well known and do spawn in the Sydney area during winter and I'll give another tip, they are are not on this list....

Bream - Large River Flathead - Drummer - Jewfish - Sea Mullet - Larger Tailor - Large Kingfish - Larger Yellowtail - Garfish - Taraglon - Hairtail - John Dory - Leather Jackets - Coastal Trevally - Larger Whiting - Striped Tuna - Salmon - Bonito - Frigate Mackeral....

The species are none of these and not Blackfish which are prolific in winter and the species is not Estuary Perch either nor are they any of the shark species.

Here are the hints again ......." this year we might have a big influx of Kurnell's near forgotten winter specials i.e. the big schools of......??? ..... CJ, just for fun see if you can guess or anyone else for that matter, what species the big schools of Kurnell's old winter specials used to be - the hint is every bream lovers table favourite and weed beds..... :huh::D " </i>

Have another go, it's now fairly easy and as I said earlier these species are a particularly good eating fish :thumbup: .......

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer

u named so much

u havn't named tarwine?

lol

You got it CJ... Thats it mate Tarwhine :yahoo:

Cheers :thumbup:

By the way CJ that's a top offer by the determined and talented all rounder Mojo to want to join you in a Kurnell session in your two man yak :thumbup: .......In my opinion that's an opportunity not to be missed...... Sydney's best fishing throughout winter and spring has depended on lack of snow in the Kosiusko area and less low fronts and southerlys, however our best winter and spring seasons are not much good for ski resorts and skiers unfortunately.....

you have so much knowledge

i'd buy the book u write for sydney fishing!!

lol

so..... wait

ur saying its good fishing in winter and spring depends on a few things

not really sure how it goes.....

but i guess just go fishing and test it out?

thanks for your input , i hope i do get some tarwine

i only ate some when i was a kid....

caught fresh that is

i hope i get a keeper soon :)

Edited by cjchen

........ur saying its good fishing in winter and spring depends on a few things......not really sure how it goes.....

......but i guess just go fishing and test it out?........ i hope i do get some tarwine

Yes CJ keep on going out fishing......Sydney fishing is particularly affected in long harsh winters, not only by ongoing snowfalls in the alps but winter conditions are also exacerbated by blizzards in the ranges...Fishing also suffers if snow falls in the nearby mountains behind us and especially in winters that have had a build up from an ongoing cold Autumn with consistent low fronts and ongoing cold southerlys without a significant break like last year's winter results clearly showed.....This has not been the case this year and Autumn and Winter has been highlighted as being exceptional this year by the number of summer fish still being caught and the number of winter fish coming in so far.....so far is not a good word to use as I think there is a coldsnap coming but it looks as though it is going to be short lived... Consequently July might be a good month all round and, the good winds and the good fishing August can bring in general even after a cold July, is not that far away anyway..

This year's Winter has not been anything like last Winter fortunately and, given that Sydney is no fishing haven in the first place, Sydney results are the best they have been in Autumn and Winter for quite a few years now, commercial netters or no commercial netters..... The so many good results we are seeing in our estuaries this winter, just going on members reports alone, should not be entirely put down to the lack of commercial netters......

You sound very keen to do well in your fishing CJ, so definately go out as often as you can and after your university lectures would be a good time I think..... Go back thru what you listened to in the morning over and over, as you either watch your rod tips or get used to working your lures in an abstract manner while mainly concentating on your morning lectures.......

Test out each season in regards to your own results and take notes including where and when you struck prime times as well as the poor feeding times that you will encounter, and of course what the conditions were for each species on the particular day... Doing that will eliminate most of the guesswork in getting more of the same next time as fish are spasmodic feeders but have a habit of returning to congregate in certain areas......

In winter you will get low fronts the same as in any season, but treat low fronts as relief from ongoing steady weather.....look forward to fishing the change day particularly if the same steady conditions are ongoing for too long, whether there be blue skies or not.....It's the change days that liven up the status quo in all seasons....you are looking for any change and a wind change in regards to ongoing southerlys - such as when the southerly aspect suddenly changes to an opposite direction - i.e. a northerly aspect and a couple of degrees of temperature rise is usually part and parcel of it..... On some days a westerly might only add to the cold for some species and liven up the bite for others but it is still a wind change from an ongoing winter southerly, and not always adding more cold upon cold......

A change to an easterly aspect with a run in tide is good for the beach or the rocks or the mouth of an estuary which face a north easterly or an easterly direction

Fish for the hardier species in ongoing southerlys, fish such as Kingfish, Yellowtail, Squid, Trevally and go for others including jew just before a low front settles in or as the weather comes out of a low front and better still, I think just as a southerly starts in a high front and more so a couple of tides after the start of a high front coming out of a low front........

Hope this helps you further CJ.......

Our new arrival Mojo and yourself are quite welcome on my boat but a little further down the track because I am having continuing sacral and pelvis area manipulations and hoping to become more mobile after my back op.....

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer