Killer Leatherjacket

autocad

I was wondering the other day when fishing, how leatherjackets are able to devour an SP in a matter of seconds.

Would it ever get to a case in the open ocean, that if you fell into the water into a school of leatherjackets, that they would eat you alive? They are able to attack terminal tackle, with even the slightest hint of fish scent on them.

just a thought to ponder while the boss is away on a meeting.

cheers autocad

:Funny-Post:

I know that a mate of mine had holes bitten in his waders when he was attacked by a swarm of jackets while wading & throwing plastics around the Spit.

He got out of the water pretty quickly when the cold water started filling up his boots! :074:

They'de be as bad as pirahnas' if you went in the drink in the middle of a massive school of them I reckon!

Cheers,

Grant.

I know that a mate of mine had holes bitten in his waders when he was attacked by a swarm of jackets while wading & throwing plastics around the Spit.

He got out of the water pretty quickly when the cold water started filling up his boots! :074:

They'de be as bad as pirahnas' if you went in the drink in the middle of a massive school of them I reckon!

Cheers,

Grant.

:1yikes: Are you srs a mates waders got holes from Jackets :1yikes: i have a cheap pair off waders and still they are made really thick of rubber imagine he were to stay in the water a bit longer

I was wondering the other day when fishing, how leatherjackets are able to devour an SP in a matter of seconds.

Would it ever get to a case in the open ocean, that if you fell into the water into a school of leatherjackets, that they would eat you alive? They are able to attack terminal tackle, with even the slightest hint of fish scent on them.

just a thought to ponder while the boss is away on a meeting.

cheers autocad

Don't know how that would go. I do know I certainly wouldn't want to bet against them doing it, they're savage mongrels.

Go for a swim next time you come across a school and let us know the answers to your questions.

:beersmile::beersmile::beersmile:

.....They'de be as bad as pirahnas' if you went in the drink in the middle of a massive school of them I reckon!

Cheers,

Grant.

With all these leather jackets around perhaps autocad should hire a full set of armour and in case he falls overboard, have a couple of squash racquets tied to his legs.....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

:1yikes: Are you srs a mates waders got holes from Jackets :1yikes: i have a cheap pair off waders and still they are made really thick of rubber imagine he were to stay in the water a bit longer

Yes I'm sure. He worked in a large tackle shop for 10 years & was doing so when it happened.

I have no doubt it happened. He's not the sort of bloke to exaggerate.

Cheers,

Grant.

Sorry Raiders I couldn't help myself...

Cheers..

post-3371-1244625280_thumb.jpg

:Funny-Post: too funny Ray

I don't know if they would you know

We had a swarm of them around us at Balmoral a couple of weeks ago and I tried to hand feed them and they wouldn't come near me!

Mind you I grabbed the LARGEST pillie in the pack and held it by the tip of its' tail but they wouldn't have a bar of it!

Run for your lives :074:

haha :074::Funny-Post:

Man thats freakky. If jackets will attack people then how about really big tailor?? if you wear water skiing and u fell of the skis but ur still holding on the rope Big tailor might bite your toes off...

Barracuda have been known (rarely) to attack people:

Is it reasonable to be afraid of barracudas? Like sharks, the answer is usually no. Of the 22 barracuda species found throughout the world, the great barracuda is the only one known to attack humans. The risk of being bitten by this fish, however, appears extremely low. In a study of 29 reported barracuda attacks in the United States between 1873 and 1963 (90 years), only 19 were confirmed.

Barracuda attacks have occurred in Hawaii. Two Maui fishermen were bitten in separate incidents in the 1960s.

A 6-foot-long barracuda slashed the leg of one man who was throw-net fishing. The resulting injury to his left foot and leg required five hours of surgery. The second man needed 255 stitches to repair arm wounds.

In the late 1980s, a barracuda attacked a scuba diver at an isolated rock offshore from Kailua. The resulting wound was minor.

In Kailua-Kona, doctors treated two women in separate incidents for barracuda bites to the scalp. Both women were wearing shiny barrettes in their hair at the time of the attack. One, bitten in the 1990s, required surgery to remove embedded teeth.

Because barracudas have two parallel rows of sharp, cutting teeth in both upper and lower jaws, bites can cause deep, slashing cuts, often causing nerve and tendon damage and sometimes severing large blood vessels. Also, barracuda teeth can break off inside wounds.

Some theorize that barracuda attacks occur when the predator mistakes a human for prey. Because a barracuda may view the flash of jewelry or camera equipment as a silvery fish, removing jewelry and avoiding murky water may reduce the chance of a bite.

Usually, barracudas keep their distance from swimmers and divers.

Hey fishraiders

Forget the Jackets!!!!

Extract from post by "Jimikin" in the aquarium sect under "What is it"

"Silver Toadfish, This tropical species is often found in more southern waters of Australia's east and west coasts, usually in schools. Best recognised by the silvery stripe along the side, and greenish back with dark spots. A fearless predator well known for its attacks on humans. Its teeth are shaped like a parrot's beak, and can easily bite through bone. In a feeding frenzy, it is as dangerous as a shark, attacking everything in sight. Like all members of the Toadfish family its flesh is poisonous, also known as the Northwest Blowfish and Silver Pufferfish. Max length 97cm." :1yikes::1yikes::1yikes:

At 97cm Sounds like these guys would make the jackets look like a goldfish in comparison.

Cheers

Trapper Tom

Hey fishraiders

Forget the Jackets!!!!

Extract from post by "Jimikin" in the aquarium sect under "What is it"

"Silver Toadfish, This tropical species is often found in more southern waters of Australia's east and west coasts, usually in schools. Best recognised by the silvery stripe along the side, and greenish back with dark spots. A fearless predator well known for its attacks on humans. Its teeth are shaped like a parrot's beak, and can easily bite through bone. In a feeding frenzy, it is as dangerous as a shark, attacking everything in sight. Like all members of the Toadfish family its flesh is poisonous, also known as the Northwest Blowfish and Silver Pufferfish. Max length 97cm." :1yikes::1yikes::1yikes:

At 97cm Sounds like these guys would make the jackets look like a goldfish in comparison.

Cheers

Trapper Tom

those things sound awsome...

wow!!! this thread has taken off....i've enjoyed all your contributions..

autocad