Rig For Squid/cuttlefish

damos

So this morning I went for a fish off the rocks near Wollongong. I caught some small yakkas and put them out live on my bigger rod under a float. First one was bitten clean in half and only the tail was left. With the remaining ones, I could see the float go down slowly and I would try and set the hook. Then I would get a small run and the float would come slowly back up. This went on for a while and the bait never really got smashed. When I would bring it back up usually the heads would be chewed up. I've seen quite a few cuttlefish caught at this spot so I think they may be the culprits.

I was wondering if there is a rig I can use for livies that could catch squid / cuttlefish? I've seen a few guys use squid spikes through the bait.

Thanks

Edited by damos

The rig is simple... just a squid jig. If you're fishing livies off the rocks it's worth keeping a squid outfit rigged... if you retrieve your bait slowly when it's been taken by a squid, the inker will hang onto it. Get it within casting range then do a little dance to cast the squid jig in front of it and at pull the bait away. They nearly always take the jig.

Cheers, Slinky

SQuid spikes with a live yellowtail are awesome :thumbup: they are great on larger squid and cuttlefish.

Hi A. Dawg. How do you fish with the squid spikes do you use them like a squid jig or are they suspended under a float is this realistic. I have considered having one out whilst using squid jigs but thought it would get destroyed by pickers. Are you talking about the type you thread through the bait, or is there some other method. I appreciate your advise as I am new to squidding.