Threadline Or Overhead

Grantm

What do you guys think,

I currently use a Shimano threadline baitcasting outfit for spinning soft plastics and lures for bream and flatties. It seems to be ok but :

Would a decent quality overhead outfit ( not too expensive ) be any better than the threadline - would it cast further, better performance etc. ive never used one, but always looking to improve my chances :fisho:

Cheers

Not for flicking lightly weighted plastics Grantm :nono: . If you''re using say a Bass Minnow rigged on a 1/32 or 1/16th oz jighead, and there is any sort of breeze that you want to cast into, then the majority of your day will be spent picking out birds nests from an overhead :angry: . Stick to the threadline for this type of fishing.

If you''re targetting flatties or jewies and casting a decent sort of a weight, then I would consider using an overhead.

It''s a close call these days as a heap of threadline drag systems can match it with a quality overhead drag. It all boils down to personal preference. At the end of the day, the more you enjoy using gear you feel comfortable with, the more you will enjoy your fishing experience :D .

Thanks for the input chop. I sorta figured as much, theres just so many of them bolted to lightweight rods for type of application these days youve gotta ask the question.

Ill stick to threadline for now, I cant say i''ve ever had a problem. Ive caught some big fish on spinning gear ,even small sharks and its never let me down. :ohyeh:

Thanks

• 2 years later...

Sorry for the thread revival but this is my question exactly. Did a search but could not find exactly what I wanted so here goes.

What exactly is the difference between threadlines/spinning/eggbeater and overheads/(baitcasters?) and trolling rods

From what I have read ...

*Threadlines are easier to use i.e. less birds nests etc.

*Threadlines are more common

*Overheads are obviously on top of the rod and threadlines under

*I noticed that the trolling rods are much different than say a normal threadline or overhead rod .. it has those wheel things at the end ...

Can the same rod be used with an overhead and spinning reel i.e. by just turning it upside down ? So confusing !

I currently use a spinning reel 2-4 kilo with 7' rod and it suits my purpose of land based fishing fine.

Any info on this would be awesome. Thx.

Some rods can be used for either application. You need one with several guides for the baitcaster and a larger first guide for the threadline reel.

Baitcasters usually have larger and stronger drag systems. They allow free spooling and they also provide a direct pulling action against the fish. Those designed for casting are more accurate as you can thumb the reel to stop the cast. They are prone to backlash tangles.

Threadlines are easier to cast but less accurate. You generally get less tangles. Much better for casting light jig heads and light hardbodies as baitcasters need the weight to get the spool moving.

There's my 2 cents...

Kit

I noticed that the trolling rods are much different than say a normal threadline or overhead rod .. it has those wheel things at the end ...

The trolling rods you are refering to with the roller tips generally cannot be turned upside down for a egg beater. The roller normally only works on one side.

Can the same rod be used with an overhead and spinning reel i.e. by just turning it upside down ? So confusing !

Yes and No !

I asked this question on another forum the other day.

Im my opinion the best thing to do is put the package together and load it up (pull on the line) and see how the line looks going thru the guides.

A "good" rod (maybe over $100-150) should have a back bone, meaning its designed to bend properly in one direction. These would not suit being flipped upside down.

A overhead rod will nornmally have a narrow'ish bottom guide (closest to the reel) to help the line go onto the drum.

The equalivent eggbeater rod will have a larger bottom guide to allow for the larger diameter rotation of the bail arm. This also gives less resistance when casting.

A overhead rod may have more guides near the tip. They are needed to stop the line rubbing againt the rod when it is bent.

Obviously you dont want a rod with the baitcaster style trigger sticking up in the air. Would look stupid.

Different rods have different stiffness. You dont want a ligght-medium action rod to be trolling large skirts as it would be bending a fair bit !

Stiffer rods (heavier action) gave you more control over the fish in a fight. But are less forgiving as they do not absorb much shock and you may get bust offs, particually if using light line on big fish.

Different length rods also suit different jobs. Longer rods for beach and rock fishing casting.

Shorter rods on a boat as anything else simply gets in the way !

Theres my non technical description :wacko: Hope it helps somewhat.

cheers

Rod

Edited by fishingrod

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Stylo,

I fish almost exclusively with baitcasters / overheads for no real reason except I just like them better for my fishing scenarios although i started with a threadline outfit like most other fishos.

Nowadays, I think that they are comparable except when chasing gamefish where overheads are the norm due to better drags and more line capacity.

Agree with the other responses. A long winded answer based on my opinion follows.

I know this repeats a number of posts by others but may clarify some items:

1. Threadlines are more common as they are definitely easier to use, primarily if it is used to cast a lure or bait. If they are not cast properly then the line will probably work itself into a tangled mess :thumbdown: However when cast correctly overheads are more accurate due to the ability for the spool to be slowed down by your thumb to hit a particular spot. :thumbup: I have found that you get better distances when using a threadline compared to an overhead.

2. If your using an overhead on a boat and dropping the bait directly down or letting line out to troll a lure then there isn't much of a difference in difficulty in using an overhead. Just set the drag and adjust the cast control cap on the side of the overhead so the weight of the lure / sinker and bait stops moving in free spool then back off slightly so it starts dropping again. This set the spool so it doesn't overrun and tangle the line when the line is dropped into the water or casted from the boat/shore.

3. Overheads are mounted on top of the rod instead of the bottom. My understanding is that the blanks on some rods are built with support along one side (backbone as mentioned previously) which means the guides are attached on a certain side. The support provides additional strength when the rod is bent when fighting a fish. Also I think the first guide is mounted at a different length from the reel.

4. I personally don't think there is any harm in using the same rod with an light overhead / baitcaster and spinning reel, especially the lighter class rods eg 2-4kg but there are drawbacks. Baitcast rods usually have a trigger which makes them more comfortable to hold when fishing extended periods. Also if using a baitcaster with a rod designed for threadline reels, I found that the thread on the reel mount digs your fingers after a while.

Haven't used a larger overhead with a standard threadline rod but would assume the same applies.

5. Suggest you buy the rod to match the reel which is what I have done for all my outfits due to above.

6. The "wheel things" are roller guides which are found on heavier duty outfits such as those used for game fishing. This reduces the friction between the line and the tip of the rod where most of the pressure is when fighting a big fish. These are not usually used or required for smaller outfits.

If you haven't owned a baitcaster/overhead and plan to use it to cast a lure / bait, the best thing is to practice at a local park or waterway to get use to the action. This will reduce the likelyhood that a birds nest ruins your first fishing trip with the new reel. :biggrin2: Your local tackle store owner should be able to help to get you started.

Best of all overheads just feel better when fighting a fish.

An analogy would be overhead = manual tranmission on a car. Threadline = automatic transmission. Both work but depends on your preference.

Hope this makes sense and helps :wacko:

Absolutely all rods (except maybe &&*&*& china made specials) do have and must have a spine.... this is the strength of the rod and they have to start and stop adding wraps to the rod at some point!

if you pick up a rod with two hands one at the tip and the other around 1/3 to 1/4 the way down the rod and rotate it slowly you will see it visibly lift the butt higher at a certain point... usually where the runners are up or down depending on overhead or threadline/sidecast configuration.

personally I love overheads for the following reasons but I believe that many threadlines are catching up now days with much better drag systems.... and Overheads are harder to cast in a breeze and with lighter weights.

1. The biggest factor for me.... Overheads allow near frictionless free spool... allowing a fish to run and swallow a bait without feeling hooked at all...AND you do not end up with a huge amount of slack line ...only what the fish pulls directly off the reel..... works very well on flathead etc when they are touchy...

2. overheads let you run the line through your fingers while retrieving at any speed hence you can feel small strikes or a fish mouthing the bait... again excellent for flathead which often half grab the bait as it goes past.... but if you strike it will drop it.

3. Overheads allow you to thumb the spool instantly increasing drag or stopping a cast exactly where you want it... OR MORE IMPORTANTLY setting the hooks on a fish without turning the handle...

4. If I ever want to float a bait in a slow current away from the boat (with or without a float) it peels off sooo smoothly.....

for this reason apart from casting sluggos repeatedly (the more you cast the more backlashes you will get) or casting into a breeze.. I love these for boat fishing....

I have an ABU 6500c which I have had for near 20yrs and it is still going strong.... and I love it....

but again it is personal choice.... but these are the benefits of an overhead over a threadline....

One thing though that many overheads offered over threadlines is the lever drag..... though to a lesser extent reels such as shimano baitrunners have caught up on this... but I think the overhead will win out on longevity if you are spending big bucks... thats why serious game reels for marlin /tuna etc are still overhead ...such as everol's, TLD's etc...

Cheers

Rodger