Capt. Bat Opens Cairns Season

captainbat

Hello Raiders...

Just a quick note from up north.... we have been lucky enough yesterday to tag the first fish of the 2009 season - a little black at around 35kgs and managed to drop another one today. I hope this may be the start of the season - I'm sure it is.... just simply cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers - Bat

Hello Raiders...

Just a quick note from up north.... we have been lucky enough yesterday to tag the first fish of the 2009 season - a little black at around 35kgs and managed to drop another one today. I hope this may be the start of the season - I'm sure it is.... just simply cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers - Bat

Captain Bat,

Well done my long suffering Broadbill deckhand of 10 years. To get the first marlin of the season is special for any skipper May there be many more for you.

Roscoe

Congratulations Captain

mate can you tell me when the season is for marlin in that area

thinkin about defrosting for a couple of days

The Rooster

Hello Rooster,

Light Tackle season inshore for little Blacks is from mid to late June through to November (ish). with the best times gennerally around late August early September. Heavy Tackle season for the big girls outside the reef starts around early September and generally winds up early mid December with October and November being the pick of the months, if I was planning to fish heavy tackle I would come late October and if chasing litle Blacks late August would be my pick.

Cheers - Bat

Hello Rooster,

Light Tackle season inshore for little Blacks is from mid to late June through to November (ish). with the best times gennerally around late August early September. Heavy Tackle season for the big girls outside the reef starts around early September and generally winds up early mid December with October and November being the pick of the months, if I was planning to fish heavy tackle I would come late October and if chasing litle Blacks late August would be my pick.

Cheers - Bat

Hi Capt Bat,

Thanks for report - im heading to cairns fishing myself next week and am very interested in the whole light sportsfish scene. Do you generally catch the small blacks in and around the islands out the front of cairns?

Any advice be greatly appreciated

Thanks SHaun

Hi Capt Bat,

Thanks for report - im heading to cairns fishing myself next week and am very interested in the whole light sportsfish scene. Do you generally catch the small blacks in and around the islands out the front of cairns?

Any advice be greatly appreciated

Thanks SHaun

Hello Shaun,

Yes we fish around Fitzroy a fair bit for little blacks, just off the north east off little Fitzroy is a great area, also the Fitzroy Wreck which you will see marked on the chart to the south east in 18m is a well know haunt for them, then troll out to the little reef inside Moore Reef just outside the green zone. From there through the Grafton Passage up to Thetford Reef and a little area in 25m to the south west which you will also see on the chart. I normally have a look back through the Passage to an area we call the 'Eastern Patches' - which is only a local name for it, this is a reef that sits in 18m on the eastern side of Green island once again just outside the green zone. All these areas currently have been fishing well for spanish also. Just be very carefull that you dont go into the green zone because they will pin you and they can be very savage about it. You should at the least see a Spanish or two at the moment, you are better off fishing our friends headed gar and skipping gar rigged on wire that way you are still giving yourself a good crack at the Marlin but also will get the spanish. Once we get fully into the season we lose the wire and go to mono and just let the mackeral chop us, but then again we havn't come all the way up from Sydney either.

Hope this helps.

Cheers - Bat