What Rod?

bass_beginner

hey guys just wondering what your recomendations are for a rod that will be used for throwing round live baits (squid, yakka, slimies) or dead baits for jews in botany bay and the hawkesbury mostly...but yeah just looking for a few recomendations...

guidelines

less than 200 bux

and preferably a threadline mount..more than likely a shimano baitrunner

I use a one piece 7' 6-10kg Silstar Crystal Blue and a one piece 7'6" 6-10kg Ugly Stick (one of the US ones) both with Shimano 6500 Baitrunners with either 20lb or 30lb mono or 30lb Braid Depending on where i'm fishing (I have spare spools). I find they cast the required weights quite well while still being sensitive enough for the take. They might be a little heavy for the smaller schoolies but give you more confidence with a better class of fish. I think the rods are around $120 to $150 from memory and the reels you can get for just under $200 if you look around. The Crystal Blue also comes in a 5-8kg and a 10-15kg (maybe a little heavy for the jews).

Jewgaffer will probably recommend the US model Ugly Stick Tiger 10-50lb. I haven't seen one of these but from what he's said about them id probably give one a go if i had the opportunity. I think they are a mail order job but im sure if you PM him he'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

If you need the whole setup I'd make the shimano baitrunner the priority as part of a 6-10kg combo as mentioned by musty. You should get a combo like that for just over $200 on special.

Good Luck

Definitely something 7ft around 10kg and a long butt, too many to choose from, you dont need an expensive one, $70 rods go good.

im a big believer in buy good buy once

many of my rods are 20 or 30 year old butterworths and love them its not a matter of not having the money to upgrade th e gear its more s0o the love of what i have

and as far as fishing gear goes b8uy good buy once...

on the note of uglystiks how come there is such a difference in quality of australian uglystiks as opposed to the US ones

Try the Livefibre range, good value, well built. Have a 6-8k and a 10-15k. The lighter rod is matched to the 4000 symetre and the heavier one to a daiwa 6000 opus bull. Am pretty sure they have 8-10k rods that would match the baitrunner.

alasdair

Live firbre rods are available in quite a few models that might suit you.

6'6 10-15kg

7' 8-15kg

7' 15-24kg.

The 7ft 8-15 was the rod used in the jewfish dvd with greg joice in the hawkesbury and they never missed a beat. Aussie made built tough.