Cubing Q. How Many Pillies

dobson_c

This is a bit of a tricky one because it will depend on your drift speed and current as to how quickly you will go through your cubes. As Sand Grouper said a box of trap bait which is usually 15kg will do for the majority of days out there. It never hurts to have a few extra than you need because you can always keep them in an esky until used or take them home for the next trip.

Cheers Shane.

Hi Sand Grouper

The quantity of pillies that you are willing to throw into the water when fish are around the area in numbers with the aim of enticing one of them to swim up to the back of your boat to accept your offering with a hook in it at times can take neither effort nor a thought and pillies can be dispensed by the handful if you wish.

It is at a time when the fish just don’t seem to be playing there part is when you need to introduce other parts into the equation with regards to the amount of pillies that you throw over in being able to achieve a result.

Most boats I guess are set in their ways and methods with how they see best in doing this and as previously mentioned before....... is that the speed of drift and current will have a big bearing in this part. The accepted norm with cubing is to drop one in just as you start to lose sight of the one dropped in before it. And in a reasonably fast current this will result in you going through many more cubes in keeping up with that unbroken trail .

I mention cubes as I know of other boats that swear in only using full IQf’s to this end as opposed to trap bait and may I suggest to you in looking at it in the view that you want the fish to be hungry and eager enough to follow your cube trail all the way back up to the source of origin than as opposed to the fish lazily swimming and having a party with his mates all provided at your expense 300 mtrs back down the trail happily content in staying there getting fat.

A popular trait for shark boats when stop fishing at the end of the day is to stop burlying one hour before the baited rods are packed up..... the plan being that if any sharks are present and feeding back down in the trail they may come up looking for the source of that food tap that has just been turned of......This most definitely works and if at the next time that you go cubing for Y/Fin and you have not turned a reel for the day until almost right at the very end (amongst other reasons off course ) the reason most likely is that you have inadvertently slowed the trail up as you draw to the end resulting in bringing the fish to you.........Hopefully that piece of string has become a little shorter for you.

Cheers Warnie