Beach Overhead Setup

humesy

G'day,

Am contemplating a new set-up for the beach for the jewies. I already use an alvey and a threadline and am considering an overhead for chucking lures such as larger plastics and casting medium sized baits long distance. I may also use it on the rocks from time to time.

I had a look on the weekend and was being steered towards a fairly stiff 10ft model by the salesman for greater distance. I tend to think that is because it was the only one on the rack as I would much prefer to have 12 feet on the beach.

For the reel, the Abu 7000 seems hard to go past but other opinions are welcome.

Does anyone have a recommendation for the rod. Please bear in mind, that my understanding of rod codes is fairly basic. I get the MT7144 (12ft 7 wrap) but not the fast taper codes. Graphite/fibreglass to cut down on weight would be great and 2 piece is preferable as will be travelling with it later this year.

Cheers

cant beat the abu 7000 had one for 25 years matched with a 8144 butterworth

used it off the rocks for reds and jew also a good spinning outfit take out the brake blocks and extend your casts an extra 20mts [with pratice]

used it off the beach a few times but it does not like sand especially a hot tailor bite [sand and slime] so i use my alvey

stick with the 12ft rod for bait work a 10ft rod would be good just for spinning

even look at a 7144 put reel on rod in the shop and get the feel of both

peter :1fishing1:

The Diawa Sensor surf would fit the bill. They have 3 overhead models 11'4'' two piece, graphite. The medium model would suit jewie fishing with around 10kg line. The ABU 7000 is a good choice although there are plenty of other overheads which are suitable eg Saltist, Okuma Magnetix, Calcutta to name a few.

G'day Humesy.

I've got a couple of overhead beach jew outfits.

One's a custom made stick, 12ft composite, & I fish it with 30lb braid with an ABU 10000. It's purely a big bait, big fish rod. I also use this on breakwalls & fish 80lb mono straight through it. It's a weapon.

My second one is probably what you are after. It's light, casts a mile, can be used for plastics & spinning metals & has plenty of guts down low as well.

This set up is a shimano backbone elite bb10. It's a really fun rod to use. I've matched this with an ABU 7000 with 10kg fireline. It casts a 1/4 ounce lead & a strip bait a long, long way. :biggrin2:

You can pick up one of these rods for abot $120.00 new. With reel & line you should get the whole setup for about $300.00.

Well priced & I reckon it would quickly become one of your favourite outfits.

Good luck with it mate.

Cheers,

Grant.

Great ideas so far guys. Many thanks.

Grant, I was wondering how you go casting with braid. The salesman said mono would be the go,; easier to cast as you can get better thumb control. Mono would be more versatile for rock sessions too.

Depends on the beach your fishing... I find a 10fter the perfect length for the stretches of sand i haunt, and so much more comfortable for fighting big fish with.

I also own several overheads for beach use in a array of lenghts from 10-13ft. and i find myself continually reaching for my BBE10 and calcutta 700B over my higher priced nitro's and customs sticks. Great rod and even better price. so much in fact that i own two :thumbup: I have never felt under gunned on shark or Jew.

I agree that in cirtain circumstaces a longer rod may be a neccesity. You should think about the situations you will fish and buy a rod accordingly, or if in doubt buy several :1prop:

I also use braid on the beach, It is less effected by wind and swell due to its fine diameter and sensitivity is just awesome. Casts easily too. Be sure to use 3-4m of shock leader though... you need a bit of give as big fish in the wash can be a handfull at times.

Edited by OutdoorDan

Great ideas so far guys. Many thanks.

Grant, I was wondering how you go casting with braid. The salesman said mono would be the go,; easier to cast as you can get better thumb control. Mono would be more versatile for rock sessions too.

Mate it casts like a dream with braid. 1st cast is always without bait & one to check cast control. Once the braid is wet it's fine. Try a big cast 1st up & you will burn your thumb. :thumbdown: I've had the same spool of fireline on my ABU 10000 & 7000 for 7 yrs.

I love braid off the rocks. Just fish a much longer shock leader & it's fine.

I don't think 10ft to 12 or 13ft makes much of a difference from most beaches. Sure, in some situations it would but a 10 footer is so much more versatile & a rod like this has many applications. You ever tried spinning or chucking big plastics with a 12 ft rod?

Just my thought anyway.

Cheers,

Grant.

I got myself an ABU 7000c + a Silstar Crystal Powertip 10' rod and it CANES for cating.

I also got a custom 13' with Alvey and another shimano 13' with a big 8000 series Okuma spinning reel.

I can cast just as far with the Overhead as I can with the other gear with the same line (platypus pre-test 15lb mono)

Personally I think briad isnt the best for the untrained Overhead user- I reckon good mono (like platypus or schneider) are better cause you get the give with mono's stretch but it is a personal choice- if you want my advice mono is WAY better than braid anyday for casting with overheads but it is superior for live baiting, trolling and bottom bouncing.

I reckon the ABU 7000 with a good 10 or 11' will be ample and load it with 15 or 20lb and with the right jig heads or leads you will be able to cast just as far if not further than standard outfits.

make sure the rod still has some action to it, a stiff rod will be very bad if you are chucking SP's or other lures where you rely on tip action to imitate the wounded baitfish.

Get a softer rod and you will be thankful in the end, just make sure it has loads of bottom end grunt to pull big fish out of them deep holdes and from among the snags if you decide to go rock-hopping for pelagics or kingies/snapper/taylor/sambos/jew.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Anthony