Budget Bream Rods And Lures

Hodgey

GDay all,

There is always someone looking for suggestions for cheap bream sticks, so I thought I would put these two up. I have recently picked up a pair of Pfleuger Trion rods. The top one is a Trion Tournament 7', 1 piece, 2-5kg and the bottom one is a Trion 7'2", 1 piece, 2-4kg. There are certainly better rods out there, but they are well worth a look for those on a budget. Both cast lightweight hardbodies and plastics with ease ;)

post-3198-1246171359_thumb.jpg

More importantly, about 4 weeks ago I found some great little hardbodies. They are Viking Crank Minnows. I had five colour variations (including an 'all yellow one that was scoffed by a tailor last weekend), and I have to say that I am pretty bloody pleased with them. They have accounted for more than 50 fish in the last three weekends, including bream, EPs and tailor. The hooks and rings are mediocre, but once I changed them the hook up rate was up around 90%. They are floating lures, which makes them handy when fishing amongst the timber. They have a very broad swimming action.

post-3198-1246172062_thumb.jpg

No doubt others have been using these lures for a while, but I haven't seen them mentioned on the forum. At $12 each, they are pretty good value. Give one a whirl and see what you think.

Cheers

Hodgey

GDay all,

There is always someone looking for suggestions for cheap bream sticks, so I thought I would put these two up. I have recently picked up a pair of Pfleuger Trion rods. The top one is a Trion Tournament 7', 1 piece, 2-5kg and the bottom one is a Trion 7'2", 1 piece, 2-4kg. There are certainly better rods out there, but they are well worth a look for those on a budget. Both cast lightweight hardbodies and plastics with ease ;)

How much were these Hodgey?

have to agree with you there hodgey the trion range is right up there if you ask me iv had mine for ages now 7 foot 1-3kg 1 piece matched up with a caldia kix 2000 great little set up i use this combo the most out of all my combos

im actually upgrading my gear at the moment and im seriously thinking about getting another two of these rods to add to the one i already have and matching them up with caldia kix's if i can find the reels (not looking good) might have to look at a cpl of new advantage's/sol's

a perfect example of these rods a friend of mine landed a 58cm king on a 1-3, 1 piece matched up with a 2000 advantage running 3 lbs braid near 20 min fight

have a real good look at these rods at around the $130 mark great value

mick

• 2 weeks later...

GDay mate,

They are a very shallow diving lure, so they also work a treat around the leases and weedbeds. Just slow your retrieve a little and they will wobble across the top of the weedbed in about 2 feet of water ;)

Cheers

Ian

GDay all,

More importantly, about 4 weeks ago I found some great little hardbodies. They are Viking Crank Minnows. I had five colour variations (including an 'all yellow one that was scoffed by a tailor last weekend), and I have to say that I am pretty bloody pleased with them. They have accounted for more than 50 fish in the last three weekends, including bream, EPs and tailor. The hooks and rings are mediocre, but once I changed them the hook up rate was up around 90%. They are floating lures, which makes them handy when fishing amongst the timber. They have a very broad swimming action.

post-3198-1246172062_thumb.jpg

No doubt others have been using these lures for a while, but I haven't seen them mentioned on the forum. At $12 each, they are pretty good value. Give one a whirl and see what you think.

Cheers

Hodgey

them plueger rods are awesome 4 the price

The top 2 colours in the lure range you have there hodgey would work well on bream & flatties around

the area's i fish in botany bay & the georges river for sure.Those type of colours are always consistant

producer's for me.

Mate any lure that can pull 50 fish has to be good & around $12 each is great value as well.

cheers

Steve

cheers for the advice Hodgey

i damaged my little bream outfit on my holiday last week so i was in the process of getting a new setup

just bought the SP721L 7'2” 2-5kg and matched it up with a Shimano Symetre 2500FJ

cant wait to test her out

Edited by Framedtrash

I purchased a 2 piece Pfleuger rod (model PTSP 4770) two years ago to use for throwing stickbaits at structure in Sydney harbour for kingfish. I also use it for fishing unweighted squid strips when berleying and bait fishing. It is rated as 3-6 kg and medium action and is 2.1 metres in length. I use an Okuma Eclipse size 30 reel spooled with 14lb Berkley Fireline and a 20 or 30 lb leader. Best king to date on the outfit went 89cm (in relatively open water). Have been dusted a few times but I love using this setup. It can also double as a (slightly heavy) lizard spinning rod and throws 3/8 oz jigheads beautifully. I would support the view that the Trion range are excellent value for money.

Kel

Haven't tried them yet but berkley just released a new bream vibe which is a hybrid b/w a hardbody and a soft plastic - called the mf40 and they only cost about $12 and you get two in a pack, they sound great and are far cheaper than a lot of the vibes out at the moment

could be worth a shot

Santa just dropped me off some early Christmas presents

rod is the SP721L 7'2” 2-5kg and the reel is a Shimano Symetre 2500FJ spooled with 10lb suffix braid

with a couple of viking cranks that Hodge suggested

the rod feels great in the hand and is really light cant wait to test her out tonight

and no i don't plan on using the squid jig with this reel thats for my big king rod

thanks again Hodgey for the advice

img0002jgs.jpg

Nice sticks there Hodgey. Pfleuger make some outstanding rods. I have a rack full of Pflueger Medalist rods with premium quality Fuji Titanium framed Silicone Carbide guides. Blanks are made in the USA. Great value for money rods considering the componentry used.

Those H/B's look the goods. Nice colours :thumbup: .

Cheers

Red

Some great advise for those on a budget in this thread.

I thought I'd add another budget rod that I'm very pleased with.

I recently purchased a Shimano Catana 7ft 2-4kg stick.

Flicks light weights easily, has a great action & has plenty of grunt down low.

For $69.00 it's a bargain. I'm prefering it over some of my much more expensive rods atm.

Used it today on some bass. :biggrin2:

I also bought a Catana 5-8kg 7.3ft for snapper plastic fishing. I'm happy with that rod as well.

Well worth a look for those on a budget.

Cheers,

Grant.

Hi Gents,

Can anyone tell me a Sydney stockist (or good mail order option) for Pfleuger? I came across these Trion rods when I was killoing a little time at a tackle shop out of town on the weekend. Was almost to the counter to buy when I decided I'd be better to buy locally in case of any issues. Have been trying to see the Catana also without luck. Perhaps PM if not a sponsor.

Same for the Viking lures too also, though happy to try these unseen in the mail etc.

Thank you, G.

Very nice looking rods there!

I recently bought a pair of Berkley Dropshot 6'6" for $66 each delivered, usually retails around $100. Felt decent and pulled a 30cm bream with ease.

Those trions have much nicer butts though!

PS,

How far can you cast those lures? I'm landbased and I feel very tempted!

Edited by fibbo

• 1 month later...

Bream_gear_003.jpg

Hodgey how do you find the grip to cast with as it did seem a little small and short to me, but I do have big gorilla hands.

Had a look at these in a local shop today, very sweet rods with a nice fast action. I found the 6'6" to be a little better balanced but that was without reels and all the tags still on.

Looked at some really nice rods to compare, Berkley Dropshot, Starlo, Strudwick Sicstiks, Shimano T-curve ( oh for a spare $300) and Wilson live fibre... decisions... decisions.

GDay Dave

I have the two Pfleugers, a T-Curve Tournament, a SicStick Pro and a Daiwa SOL 701LXS, as well as a collection of Raider rods and Procasters. The only one I have a minor issue with the fore-grip is the SicStick Pro. Compared to the others, it is quite small. Like all new rods though, once you develop a 'feel' for it, it's not as noticeable. I guess it all comes down to a personal preference. My brother recently played with the Trions and the SicStick Pro, and had no complaints about any of them. He has a hand like a baseball mitt :biggrin2: Any of those rods you mentioned will serve you very well, Dave. Happy shopping! :thumbup:

Cheers

Hodgey

• 1 month later...