What Bit This Slimy?

james7

Question

What's this little fella?

post-4381-1246242990_thumb.jpg

and ...

... any ideas what could've bitten this slimy? It was put out as a livie and came back as a "deadie"!

It looks like it has been sliced with a knife.

post-4381-1246243009_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

14 answers to this question

Looks like a Barber perch.

Thanks sniper. I think you're right. I found this picture of a Barber perch. It sure look similar.

post-4381-1246416647_thumb.jpg

post-4381-1246416748_thumb.jpg

I'd still like to know what made the "slash" type bite on the slimy.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

... any ideas what could've bitten this slimy? It was put out as a livie and came back as a "deadie"!

It looks like it has been sliced with a knife.

post-4381-1246243009_thumb.jpg

....Cheers

Peter

Peter you can see teeth marks clearly from the fish who clamped on the slimy with its bottom teeth hard enough to tear away that much flesh. Going on the bite size when the fish closed up, I reckon it may have been a snapper especially if you had weighted the slimy Peter. Otherwise I'd say a say it might have been a stripie...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Peter you can see teeth marks clearly from the fish who clamped on the slimy with its bottom teeth hard enough to tear away that much flesh. Going on the bite size when the fish closed up, I reckon it may have been a snapper especially if you had weighted the slimy Peter. Otherwise I'd say a say it might have been a stripie...

Cheers

jewgaffer

You could be right Jewgaffer. We put the slimy down, slightly weighted and we were catching snapper. It was also a big slimy. We were in about 60m down south at the hump.

Here's a close up. It was still a strange bite. More of a "slice" really. I've never seen anything like it.

post-4381-1246489055_thumb.jpg

Looks like the slimey was attacked by a squid. They often go for the gut area.

I guess that's possible too Mike. I guess the "teeth marks" made me think it was a "toothy critter" rather than a squid.

Cheers

Peter

Squid take em their prey from the back and im pretty sure snapper take em head first.

My guess is Crab pinching it therefore having the cut and those cracks all over its skin

if it were a fish which took it then might be snapper at this time of the year. But im pretty sure its crab since that happends to me alot in the hacking.

I don't think its a squid, they normally take bites out the back of the head which paralyzes/kills the prey instantly, and they take several bites in quick succession to immolbilse it. You would see a sharp crescent shape bite if it were a squid, the fact that its only been sliced but the meat is still there would suggest a fish of some sort. My guess would be snapper as I heard of some whoppers being caught the last few days, in fact 5 upto 10kg, I'm waiting to see the pictures tomorrow before I believe it though.

Cheers, Tobe

Big Snapper take Big slimies sideways, run with them, kill them, spit them out and swallow them head first

Especially in Nov when they are schooled up and breeding.

I've caught them on big slimies before, and they run, stop, then run again

Does look like a squid, as the flesh is still their and squid bite the back of the head first to get to

the brain and kill the fish so they dont get injured themselves.

Doesnt look like a snapper bite - something with more teeth, that wasnt quite sure and changed its mind