Gear Maintenance?

humkyle

ive seen many ways of cleaning and maintaining reels and tackle, some of which are good, others not so much.

how does everyone else maintain their gear?

cheers.

If out in the salty stuff, generally give the rods and reels alight wash with some soapy water rinse off with with a light spray of fresh water ,dry with a soft cloth and a liberal spray with inox.

ive seen many ways of cleaning and maintaining reels and tackle, some of which are good, others not so much.

how does everyone else maintain their gear?

cheers.

Couple of different things. Obviously dependant on what type of reel bud. Your better reels, from a maintenance point on view, strip them back and regrease. I give mine to the tackle shop bout once a year. Charge me $30 a reel.

In respect of cleaning in general after a day out, I do a light rinsee with the hose on light spray, and wipe them down after with a rag. every now and then, will give them a scrub with "SALT AWAY" with a tooth brush, and leave them for a couple of days before washing it off.

One important factor that hasn't been mentioned yet is ALWAYS TIGHTEN YOUR DRAG BEFORE YOU SPRAY WITH WATER!!!!

Then after letting the reels either drip dry or toweling them off back the drag off for storage. This way you don't let water in while washing them and you don't destroy the drag washers by keeping them tight whilst not fishing!

hey mate

The way I do it is wipe down all gear with pine o cleen wipes i find them quite effective in removing salt and also bits of bait of eva grips and removes smell of the bait also. With my eggbeaters I remove the spool and wipe down the inside of it and also the underside of the drag knob. After cleaning I spray with reel magic or inox, depending on which one I've got on hand. After 10mins or so I wipe off the excess with a clean cloth. Once a month I lubricate reels that get alot of use and all other reels i lube after 10 or so uses. Once a year I take them to my local fishing shop, he charges 30 a reel or free if its one I got from him.

I also use the pine o cleen wipes on my tackle box and tools, all tools get sprayed with inox and left out overnight to dry, knives sharpened every month or so. Any other gear that has the possibility of rusting like rock cleats, screws on landing net etc also get sprayed with inox.

As you can probably tell im quite high maintanence when it comes to my gear!

Regards

Daniel

Good topic Humkyle....I wipe my rods down thoroughly with a moist soapy cloth, wipe off with a clean damp cloth, and then use armour-all original over the rod and the rod grips working a piece of terry towelling as a sling all the way around each rod grip to soak in the armour-All and then finish with a clean dry towell..... I check that the guide binding is solid and also check the guide insets after every session.... Armour-All gives the rod, the foam and the cork grips excellent protection plus a luxurious look and a non slippery feel...

I never dip or rinse my reels in water or spray water onto any reel for that matter..I just use a damp cloth in soapy water and clean them thorougly, wipe them over with fresh water, dry them off and spray wd40 on the reel casings.... I take the spool off and run the line under the tap to give it a thorough clean as I have an idea that a bulid up of salt residue affects both mono and braid... I only check and re grease the shaft..I have each reel opened up and oiled and greased in the shop once a year and I have the ratchets tweeked up and the drags checked at the same time or as soon as a drag feels in any way uneven, feels spongy or has the slightest high spot.....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: