Sunday Morning At Port Hacking

monch

Went to Wally's wharf this morning, got there at around 6:30am and started burleying up for bait. After a little while there were swarms of small gars, yakkas and what i think were pilchards of some sort. They were very scaly like garfish but their scales were even more prone to falling off, coming off by the handful when i tried to de-hook them. As such, they did not survive for very long but made good bait nonetheless. Their scales are quite glittery as well.

With a few livebaits i threw them out hoping for a king to come round. Was only armed with my 2-4kg flick stick and 6lb line (hoping for a miracle) so was undergunned but do-able provided i take my time. I only wanted to experience a hit anyway.

Not long later I notice my float go under slowly and continuously, not like a run of any fish and i started to wind it back b4 i started to notice the pulsing of a squid. I dragged the squid in closer and cast out a squid jig on my other rod. It let go of the fish but didn't fall for the squid jig. I tried this another 5 or so times with the same bait before i gave up and rigged up another livie. Within 2 minutes the squid has killed the livie again... "dam squid!" i thought to myself "i'm gonna get you now". Threw out the squid jig again and let it sink further to try and let the squid attack it from the darker depths but nope it gets snagged and i lose my favourite jig :(

Anyway... no kings or any other fishy predators arrive but this squid proceeded to kill all of my livebaits one after the other. Really wishing that i had a squid spike right now, I decided to get creative to outsmart this squid. Knowing that squid like to attack just behind the head of their prey, I cut off the head of the just killed yakka, got rid of most of the insides and stuck my small squid jig threw the mouth so that the yakka head was kind of like a new shirt for the squid jig. I attracted the squid over and threw the modified squid jig in, pulled away the bait and jigged the jig. He let go and bang i was on. Hauled him in and i was happy, he had a decent 20cm+ hood. Having the smart bugger for dinner :P ... now who gets the last laugh :074:

post-6015-1246775225_thumb.jpg

Conditions seemed nearly ideal and the barometer took a good steady rise the whole morning from about 1013 to 1016 but alas no decent fish :(

Edited by monch

good effort ..when fishing wallys ive found it always a good idea to taker along a spike and if you can get em rig up a yakka or gay or watever you can on the spike does a better hjob of what you did with the quid jig some good squid and crab around wallys but never seemed to get decent fish ther dunno why

that's funny, today i went to wallys wharf at about 12ish i saw the squid mark and realised a squid must of been caught aroundn 10am. I tried in vein to attract yakkas, gar, anything but the buggers just weren't out today , instead they were out yesterday!

Funny how they were there very early in the morning though :)

hey monch,hw are you ,

we were ther on sat night try till 11pm try we tried everything but thers no squid around .we used light on squid jigs nothing . thers guy ther on the tinny we gave 2 lights for the float . i dont know if they caught squid cheers bangus :1fishing1:

that's funny, today i went to wallys wharf at about 12ish i saw the squid mark and realised a squid must of been caught aroundn 10am. I tried in vein to attract yakkas, gar, anything but the buggers just weren't out today , instead they were out yesterday!

Funny how they were there very early in the morning though :)

I left at around 12, must've just missed each other lol

The action died right down at that time which is why i left, was getting hungry for lunch as well.

I find that the bait fish (and most other fish) are more active when the sun is not as high, hence the action in the morning. Although there are times when the action fires up at midday.

woulda been nice to meet ya, yeah the fish were way too timid , they were all down the bottom, hardly ever venturing up . i wasn't happy with the wind either..

I left at around 12, must've just missed each other lol

The action died right down at that time which is why i left, was getting hungry for lunch as well.

I find that the bait fish (and most other fish) are more active when the sun is not as high, hence the action in the morning. Although there are times when the action fires up at midday.

Haven't been seeing many squid attacking livebaits at Wally's for a while...

in fact... I haven't been seeing much squid action at all around the Hacking lately.

Great to see you were able to finally get the bugger

Hey Monch,

Good to see you were out there yesterday and at least caught something......we spent the whole day out at port hacking yesterday and only managed one undersized snapper and an undersized trevally.

wind was howling quiet a bit out in the middle of the bay.

cheers

Glad you got the bugger good stuff. Ive only started going to Port hacking not long ago hopeing to find a squid spot to try for my first kingy .one day it will come :wacko: have to wait a little longer now my head gasket blew :05: . So im rebuilding my first outboard. very good at port hacking though, cant wait to get back there. :thumbup: