Browns Tuna Wednesday

sleepy

Guy and I headed out at 11.30 today and due to the short sharp chop and a couple of very wet and windy squals it took us almost 2 hours to get to Browns. We put a couple of lures out from the edge till we got to the mountain without any joy .

We then pulled up about 4ks north of browns.... you just gotta love it when it all goes to plan .. just as the boat is slowed down I drop the first cube into the water and out of nowhere a big golden barrel engulfs it!

With only one rod rigged to cube Guy allows me captain's rights - 3 strips and i'm on. 25-30kg fin.

20 minutes later we mark a fish on the sounder and seconds later it is up and at the back of the boat..... Guy is on to another same size tuna. By this stage we are just north of browns and a few boats have noticed that Guy is hooked up and 1 joins our cube trail.

We see another fish on the sounder and once again we have a tuna feeding in the cube trail at the back of the boat...BUT THEN SOME IDIOT DRIVES THROUGH OUR CUBE TRAIL APPROX 20-30 METERS AWAY FROM US. :mad3: some people are just plain stupid!

20 mins later we get our 3rd fish that's a little bigger than the other two. We finish off with a tiny Albie of about 2kgs . Just as we are about to head home a whale pops up 20 metres in front of us, at first i called it for a pilot whale but thinking about it now it was too big for a pilot whale. Anyone have any ideas?

Heading home in the dark during whale migration is scary - Living by the beach I see whales almost every day and so those last 5ks before you get back to the heads really freak me out .. Has anyone had any close whale encounters ?

we had a pleasant run home with the sea and the rising moon behind us . The water temp as we crossed the shelf was 17 degrees and was 17.7 and blue where we caught the fish.

Yes we were in the cruise craft..

Here are some pictures I promised, unfortunatly they are not from yesterday's session ( forgot camera ) but our last session from 2 weeks ago where I sliced my finger open and ended up with 5 stitches!.

2 x 30-35 kg Yellowfin & a few Albies ..

DSC01423.jpg

DSC01428.jpg

DSC01422.jpg

Wow, some serious fish there, just curious... what type of Cruise Craft have you got.... Dont worry I wont follow you......I just know that Wednesday was rough out there, you must have been in something decent?

Wow, some serious fish there, just curious... what type of Cruise Craft have you got.... Dont worry I wont follow you......I just know that Wednesday was rough out there, you must have been in something decent?

Hey mate, Got an Explorer 575 yeah it was a long wet & windy drive out that day

we were in the black and white Haines Hunter, just in front of you. .... couldn't believe that you were pulling fish and we got zeros, considering we were no more than 100m apart.

Must agree with your comments on that TOOl in the cat that was pulling lures around all of us.

we were in the black and white Haines Hunter, just in front of you. .... couldn't believe that you were pulling fish and we got zeros, considering we were no more than 100m apart.

Must agree with your comments on that TOOl in the cat that was pulling lures around all of us.

the last fish we got was absolutly chockers full of pillys i reckon he had almost a block in his guts. he came right up to the back of the boat and i fed out a pilly on 24 with a 80lb trace and he wouldn't touch it. Guy fed out a tiny cube on 15 with a 60lb trace and he hooked up. what trace size were you guys using ?

i noticed that you guys were using spin tackle , which means braid. the drift was pretty quick yesterday and braid tends to float more than mono. maybe your baits looked a little unnatural and weren't sinking quicky enough ?...

i was pretty sure that you guys would have been getting them too..

heard a 2nd hand report of another boat getting 7 or 8 yesterday as well.

We were using 1 stella that was spooled with braid but it was top shot with about 50m of 24kg mono, same with the torsa we were using, so they were sinking ok. We were using 80pound trace which is the only reason I can think of as to why we didn't get a touch. Although we didn't even see a bloody fish in out trail all afternoon. Thats fishing I guess, just makes me want to get out again.

Also heard of another boat that got 6-8 fish, that was the larger light blue boat about 2-3 kms North of us.