Trawling For Kingys

jmorson

Yesterday I went out on Port Hacking early with a mate. Half an hour after sunrise we had 20 decent size yellowtail. We trawled from the headland at jibbon point all the way to Marley at about 3-5 knots. I had 3 liveys out at about 15, 25 and 35 metres off the back. 2 with 8 O octupus hooks through the nostril only, and 1 with weighted with a hook through the nostril. The boat was just in gear and the live baits were struggling. At 4 knots they dragged along the surface pretty often. Is this normal and if not, what can i do to correct it. The only luck we had was at Big Marley when i stopped the boat for a minute. Also how close to the shore do you trawl when looking for Kingys. Thanks FR's

2 knots is better for yakka's. You are better off with a no offset hook. Try bridling them properly if you want to go faster but usually they don't cope. Make sure you are running a swivel. If the spin and you don't see it you will get some pretty good line twist.

Downriggers help. Thats what they are designed to do. Get the livie down to where the fish are.

Mate I am a newbie to this myself but after months of wasting my time trolling for kingies and getting nothing, reading lots of raider reports, it seems that the raider who are doing the damage to the hoodies all seem to be downrigging.

Trying to find a good downrigger second hand myself on EB.. but having no luck...

Got the bombs abd thinking of trying just a long VB cord tied to the gunny to prove the point B4 forking out the dough to import one.

Try the VB cord and a sash weight and see how you go...

BOL

Cheers

Chris

try a running knife jig (swivel will stop it) which will provide a flash and keep the yakka down. knock the motor in and out of gear or zigzag your course to give the yakka a breather.

i've had the most success around close to bommies/structure when trolling outside & mainly in warmer water.

you definitely want to troll as slowly as possible - 1kt is ideal.

Often when downrigging, I'll drop the engine out of gear when I spot the kings on the sounder and let the livie swim unassisted amongst the fish - they normally get smaaaaaashed.

with out downriggers, you have to go even slower otherwise the baits skip along the surface and unless the kings are in a chasing mood, they wont get much attention.

try the knife jig idea running down to the swivel connecting your leader to your mainline.

Just remember that slow is best, the kings love to chase their prey, but if they don't have to work as hard they'll be more inclined to attack.

you need to use the sounder and when you see the depth the kings are holding in, you'll then be able to deploy the un/weighted baits to where they are.

In addition, trolling a lure or two that rattle alongside your livies may also attract more attention.

PM me if you have any questions.

Cheers

dan

before i bought a down rigger i used the poor man technique. use a snapper lead on the swivel with a long trace..... u can also use as mention a knife jig. the only problem with this way is that u dont know the exact depth the bait may be. just be alert the depth changes cause u can snag up and have headaches. caught heaps of kings with this method...... caught loads more with a down rigger..... money well spent.

slow troll with pauses for a few seconds keeps it deeper.

sounder is ur best friend when chasing kings. look for the bait and they will be around. dont have to be heaps close to the rocks.... look at structure on the bottom.... biat will be close to the white wash and kings will be lurking around that..... but dont be stupid and get dangerously close. so be safe when trolling he head lands.

Guys, when using the knife jig technique do you arm it with a hook as well? Or just use it purely as a weight?

Im thinking you may as well arm it with a hook, but it may cause more snags and headaches....

Guys, when using the knife jig technique do you arm it with a hook as well? Or just use it purely as a weight?

Im thinking you may as well arm it with a hook, but it may cause more snags and headaches....

i havn't tried it but cant really comment.... but in theory should be fine with a hook...... giv it a go and if it causes problems then take the hook off.

i havn't tried it but cant really comment.... but in theory should be fine with a hook...... giv it a go and if it causes problems then take the hook off.

Could be interesting if you end up with a double hook up :wacko:

Still a very newby at catching Kings and as yet have not invested in a downrigger myself. Like most fisherman love watching video's that teach you new techniques, saw one recently put together by the two Dan's if you can find a copy it's well worth it

Scorpion