Quote For New Cable, Parts & Labour...

michaelrdoyle@gmail.com

Hey All

Just wondering - how much labour should I be expecting to pay a mechanic to replace a steering cable?

Will (likely) take longer then usual as the steering arm on the motor is stuck, so will take a bit of effort to take that out...

thanks (just working out if this guy has given me a good quote, or if I should check elsewhere)

Mike

Hey All

Just wondering - how much labour should I be expecting to pay a mechanic to replace a steering cable?

Will (likely) take longer then usual as the steering arm on the motor is stuck, so will take a bit of effort to take that out...

thanks (just working out if this guy has given me a good quote, or if I should check elsewhere)

Mike

Mate, the only thing you have to do on the motor side is unbolt the nut on the steering cable and the whole unit will slide out of the motors body, may be with a tap or two, even if the cable is stuck.

The time is in the helm, If you are not replacing the helm, to take the steering out if there is no room, take the lock pin out, slide the old cable out, feed the new cable in and put the lock pin in. And tuck the cable back away where it was.

Thats it. you can do it your self.

thanks guys - appreciate the help.

the great news - I've managed to unstuck it, and pull it out, and fix it. It's now all working again - but way too stiff. Which suggests I should put in a new set of cables.

I'm "half handy" - not to bad on stuff I've done before, but not great. Tossing up getting a dealer to do it - or doing it myself.

On a related note - I think I striped a gear in the steering column when trying to unstuck it - it now jolts every half turn. What's the fix for this?

Good news is I can still go fishing tomorrow.

Mike

thanks guys - appreciate the help.

the great news - I've managed to unstuck it, and pull it out, and fix it. It's now all working again - but way too stiff. Which suggests I should put in a new set of cables.

I'm "half handy" - not to bad on stuff I've done before, but not great. Tossing up getting a dealer to do it - or doing it myself.

On a related note - I think I striped a gear in the steering column when trying to unstuck it - it now jolts every half turn. What's the fix for this?

Good news is I can still go fishing tomorrow.

Mike

Souds like your helm is stuffed as well or the problem in the first place. I now sugest to take the cable out and check the tracks and move it in and out and if thats OK replace the helm

hope it helps as I think you will have a problem in the future...Hope not onyour trip tomorow though.... good luck

Souds like your helm is stuffed as well or the problem in the first place. I now sugest to take the cable out and check the tracks and move it in and out and if thats OK replace the helm

hope it helps as I think you will have a problem in the future...Hope not onyour trip tomorow though.... good luck

Yep - I agree with the helm. I felt the cog teeth give when I was turning the wheel too hard (and I was turning it pretty hard). So whilst I have now unstuck the steering - I have a jolt in the helm - every half turn it skips. Very confident it will work fine today on the trip - though happy to hand steer it back if need be. Not going far.

Any idea how much a new helm will cost?

Mike

Yep - I agree with the helm. I felt the cog teeth give when I was turning the wheel too hard (and I was turning it pretty hard). So whilst I have now unstuck the steering - I have a jolt in the helm - every half turn it skips. Very confident it will work fine today on the trip - though happy to hand steer it back if need be. Not going far.

Any idea how much a new helm will cost?

Mike

Hi Mike, a new steering system with snap in helm, cable and bezel cost about $250 depending on the length of the cable needed.

Cheers,

Huey.