Fresh? Kingfish

clem

Hey again raiders.

Bought some Kingfish at Costi in Castle Hill and when I got home I fried it in a pan with flour BUT it turned out VERY SOFT.(MUSHY)

It cost me $35.00 so I am planning to take it back.

Am I within my rights to do so and how do I explain this to them at the shop without sounding silly or offensive towards them.

Having said that how do I avoid this in the future?

Should I test the fish by pressing on it or what?

Thinking out loud so feel free to respond freely.

A bit embarrassing to give this to my parents as they were really looking forward to it.

Cheers Clem

Edited by clem

Hey Clem,

in the old days you wouldn't eat kingfish from the shops!

We were all fortunate enough to get the fresh fish===== what Japanese people would pay megadollars for as shashimi, and we'd stick it on the barby!

Mate ... catch em yourself and celebrate fresh fish,

The only kingy I would eat that I didn't catch myself would be in a Japanese restaurant at the sushi bar, or bought from the markets Sushi cabinet...

Only a thought, but one of the reasons we go fishing is to get better fish the all the other poor buggers can buy! You bought Jewfish lately??? God gave us the bug... Go an and get his harvest ourselves!

Kingys are fantastic FRESH.

Cheers

Chris :beersmile:

If they were whole, i would look at the eyes, make sure they are dark and black, if they are white and pale they are old.

If they are fillets, its hard to tell. THey should shine, not look slimy or anything like that.

It is a hard one if you bought fillets.

A mate of mine caught a kingy offshore a year or so ago and was surprised as it gave him very little fight.... he didnt think much of it until taking it home and cooking it that night....it didnt cook as usual and it turned out real mushy and he had to throw it out.....we figure the fish must have been sick....hence no fight and no form to the flesh when cooked.......personally i reckon take it back and see how u go...good luck

tough one....... how can u take something back that doesn't have a date or anything..... i guess its all to do with the consumer act crap "buyers beware". if u want it fresh dont trust a fish shop unless u know them personally...... i went to get squid and i can tell when its fresh or when its not..... when i asked is it fresh they said yes very fresh.... was not at all!!! goes to show cant trust them too often.

From time to time at work we get kingfish that turn to mush even although they have only just been seared. I trust our supplier and know that it is fresh so that is not the issue. The fish was probably ill in some way.

Would defiantly take it back.

alasdair

Hey there again.

It was a complete fish that weighed in at 2.740kg.My dad said he did look at the fish before we fried it and he said the eyes looked shiny and clean.As for frying it would not be long as they were cut into thin steaks.

Cheers Clem

I know that some Kingfish suffer from some sort of illness, i think it may be like some sort of worm infestation or something but its more common in QLD due to their warmer waters and is a big reason why Kingfish aren't rated as a good eating fish up there, and i know that one of the affects of this disease was the fish would turn milky and mushy when cooked, maybe this is the problem?

Spot on there Josh88.

I called the shop and the manager was genuine and said to me to return the fish and he would gladly refund me the money.So genuine that he gave me an extra $5 for my troubles.

Upon arriving there he said the exact same thing to me about the fish turning milky and mushy but you would only notice this once it has been cooked up/fried.

I guess this desease is not that far away after all.

He mentioned that you would encounter this problem in bream as well and 1 other fish but I cannot remember the name.

So as for the shop and me going there I guess it is an individual choice and he was genuine enough to do the proper thing.

Cheers Clem

clem.

I am by no mean's being rude at all and i am not a pro or a expert as a matter of fact i am far, far from it.

honestly if i want to eat fish and any fish for the matter, i catch it and do the work my self or i get it off friend's or mate's who i know seriously have fresh fish, I am not sure who would and who would not agree with me hear but i honestly think and believe that that is the best way and is what i allway's do.

when i was younger i honestly wanted to be and become a decky on a pro Tuna boat. To cut a long but honest and true story short, one day during the week i went into the fish market's near Darling Harbour and i asked around. I found this place and the guy i spoke to said i could leave some of my detail's with him so i did, a few day's after that i get a phone call from a pro fisho with a big trawler boat and he invited me out. I really honestly wanted to go but my parent's did not let me.

when i was speaking to him on the phone he said that they spend 6 full day's out at sea. Now having said that and i honestly did not know this until he said it, it goes to say that ------------------- the fish in the fish market's, whole or in steak's or in fillet's, is not fresh.

if you want nice good fresh fish to eat, catch it yourself which is as i said what i do.

just my 2 cent's worth.

Clem, if you or your neighbor happens to own an in inbred cat, here's a simple test to see how a fresh kingfish will turn out before you attempt to eat same..... cut a chunk off a well cooked cultlet and drop it into the toilet bowl water after you've waved it at your cat... If the cat retrieves and eats the cutlet, it means it's going to taste near enough to normal for a human on the day it was caught........

post-829-1247645778_thumb.jpg

Cheers :biggrin2:

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Clem, if you or your neighbor happens to own an in inbred cat, here's a simple test to see how a fresh kingfish will turn out before you attempt to eat same..... cut a chunk off a well cooked cultlet and drop it into the toilet bowl water after you've waved it at your cat... If the cat retrieves and eats the cutlet, it means it's going to taste near enough to normal for a human on the day it was caught........

post-829-1247645778_thumb.jpg

Cheers :biggrin2:

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Jewgaffer - you are one funny b@stard