Repaired My Spin/fly Travel Rod

arpie

Hi all

You may be aware that 2 sections of my spin/fly travel rod were broken on our first night out of Forster at the start of our 2 month Northern Odyssey!

I finally got them out & studied them yesterday, to see if I could salvage them & make it into a usable rod again! I checked out the bits & pieces I have salvaged over the years (ex dead rods) and found the solid fibreglass tips from telescopic rods would be perfect to fit the fine sections that needed repair.

With fibreglass tip inside the broken sections

post-2231-1247701233_thumb.jpg

I tested them & cut the tips to fit the two sections & applied some super glue so that when it snugged up inside the broken bit, it held securely. Araldyte can be a bit messy.

post-2231-1247701277_thumb.jpg

All superglued up & ready to bind

post-2231-1247701357_thumb.jpg

I use Dental floss as a binder - it is really tough & very fine.

post-2231-1247701420_thumb.jpg

I used a black permanent marking pen to colour the floss

post-2231-1247701490_thumb.jpg

FINITO

I used some fly tying cement/lacquer to coat the thread, giving 3-4 coats. I may mix up some epoxy at a later stage to make it tidier.

I have put the 2 bits together & flexed them & they have a nice parabolic arch, so think/hope all should be good.

The truth will be in the testing ..... which I plan to do this weekend at Newcastle with some yakking buddies

If you have a broken rod & have kept both bits (or all of them, in my case!) ...... give it a go! It is worth a try, specially if it is one of your favourites. It is not difficult.

Cheerio

Roberta

Shame, Ceph (about the break as well!!) Did you glue an internal insert in & overbind the break area? Hmmm, if so, it should stand up pretty well.

I guess the action will be a bit stiffer in the top region, but anticipate it being fine! It may actually help with the weightless lure casting, as it was a little too floppy prior to the break!

i have used this method to repair a few rods (buddies give me theirs to repair, now!) Can't wait to try it! :)

Cheerio

Roberta