Finally Finished My Live Bait Tank And Bait Board

ilove2fish76

Hi Raiders

Here a few pics of the latest addition to my Centre Console, my custom live bait well, bait board and deck wash.

It's been over 3 years in the making since i decided on the idea but i just wasn't sure how to suspend it above my outboard and still make it strong enough for ocean conditions. That's were you raiders came to my aid.

I'd like to thank 4 Stokn, (Steve) for sending me in the right direction down to L & S Gardner at Taren Point, he did a great job in making the alloy frame for me.

All i had to do then was Fit the bait tank to the frame and add all of the components.

I haven't yet had a chance to test it out, can't wait to fill it up with a few bait fish and smash a few kingies

All the best guys,

Dave

post-9450-1247906827_thumb.jpgpost-9450-1247906918_thumb.jpgpost-9450-1247906994_thumb.jpgpost-9450-1247907071_thumb.jpg

Edited by ilove2fish76

Very very nice.....

how much did you do yourself? How much did you pay? how did you do it?

I've been trying to work out how to get a live baittank in my Quintrex Bayhunter, and that looks like the perfect solution (and similar to what I was thinking)....

I would love all the gory details.....

Mike

Very very nice.....

how much did you do yourself? How much did you pay? how did you do it?

I've been trying to work out how to get a live baittank in my Quintrex Bayhunter, and that looks like the perfect solution (and similar to what I was thinking)....

I would love all the gory details.....

Mike

Mike I am not familar with Quintrex Bayhunter does it have the optional stainless bracket on the transom they were using a few years ago for skiing and for the quintrex bait board. We came up with an aluminium custom cutting board live bait tank that can be removed easily, required no fixing holes, does not mark the boat in any way, and does not move. We have the pump hose removable so we can wash bait board down into tank.

If you have that type of stainless bracket and are interested let me know and I will figure out how to post some photos.

Jason

Mike I am not familar with Quintrex Bayhunter does it have the optional stainless bracket on the transom they were using a few years ago for skiing and for the quintrex bait board. We came up with an aluminium custom cutting board live bait tank that can be removed easily, required no fixing holes, does not mark the boat in any way, and does not move. We have the pump hose removable so we can wash bait board down into tank.

If you have that type of stainless bracket and are interested let me know and I will figure out how to post some photos.

Jason

Thanks for the heads up Jason. The bayhunter has a removeable bait board attached to two rodholders over the back of the boat - very similar to Dave's one (check his photos).

Another pic of what it looks like is (not my boat, found on the web):

post-5225-1247916862_thumb.jpg

Mike

Hi Raiders

Here a few pics of the latest addition to my Centre Console, my custom live bait well, bait board and deck wash.

It's been over 3 years in the making since i decided on the idea but i just wasn't sure how to suspend it above my outboard and still make it strong enough for ocean conditions. That's were you raiders came to my aid.

I'd like to thank 4 Stokn, (Steve) for sending me in the right direction down to L & S Gardner at Taren Point, he did a great job in making the alloy frame for me.

All i had to do then was Fit the bait tank to the frame and add all of the components.

I haven't yet had a chance to test it out, can't wait to fill it up with a few bait fish and smash a few kingies

All the best guys,

Dave

post-9450-1247906827_thumb.jpgpost-9450-1247906918_thumb.jpgpost-9450-1247906994_thumb.jpg

Hi Raiders

Cheers for the great comments guys, i'm glad you like my setup.

Here a quick rundown of how it was done.

1) First i bought the baitboard, box, bilge pump and bracket, wiring, switch, hoses, stainless clamps and a few other things to get started. Most of these parts were purchased from Bias Boat Warehouse at Calton.

2) Then i cut a whole out in the bait board the same diameter as the box and dropped it in. I wasn't too sure how to fix the box to the baitboard, what i ended up doing was using a marine bonding silicone all around the cut on the top and bottom. Seems to work just fine.

3) To sort out the frame i went to see L & S Gardner at Taren Point and discussed with him that i wanted a frame that would support the baitboard above the motor but at the same time could still lift the motor to full tilt. I wanted it to be very strong so i can lean on it or hang on in rough conditions and also possibly mount rod holders on the side or some thing else. The finished result was just what i wanted, I was really happy with his design, he did a great job.

4) Then i cut the inlet, outlet holes & Bung plug hole in the tank and fitted the connections. After this it was ready to bolt down onto the frame. All i did was drill 4 holes, two in either side and used stainless bolts to secure, she's not going anywhere.

5) After speaking with my brother who is a keen fisho, he suggested that i run a deckwash off the bilge as well. All i had to do was find a T housing with a valve on each side that would allow me to block off water flow to live bait tank and be directed to my deck wash. After 4 hardware's and several plumbing shops i finally found what i needed from Bunnings to do the job. The one i bought is made for standard garden hose fittings which mad it very easy to install.

6) I then secured the bilge off and on switch which i decided to fix in the front of the bait board. I would have preferred to have the switch on my centre console but i didn't have any room left on my switch board.

That's basically it guys, here's a quick run down on the cost.

Baitboard $130

Bait Tank $100

Rule Bilge Pump $ 30

Bilge Bracket $40

Switch and Wiring $30

Alloy Frame Fitted (Welded on) $250

Hoses and Clamps $50

Deckwash Parts $25

Stainless screws and bolts $15

Total approx comes too $670, not to bad i reckon.

If i had a nice new boat i would probably opt for a professional custom made design but becuase i have a 79 Dehavilland that's been bashed around around alot over the years i wasn't too concerned about the appearance of my design.

I'm very happy with the end result and can't wait to put it to use.

I have added a few extra pics, mainly of the frame that i had made.

All the best,

Dave

post-9450-1247966920_thumb.jpgpost-9450-1247967219_thumb.jpgpost-9450-1247967206_thumb.jpg

great work mate!!! tops!!

get out there and hit the kings!!

only down side i feel is the deck wash..... personaly i hate salt water cause it F@#ks everything..... i prefer as little salt in the boat as possible. so using a hose with salt water to wash parts of the boat means heaps more washing once the boat is out of the water to make sure its out from the corners especially in an alluminum boat.

well done again!

nick

thanks Dave - great info.

A couple of extra questions (cause you have inspired me to do it myself).....

- What size is the bait tank? (like - litres?)

- What's the type/model number of the bait board and the tank?

- Does the bait tank have a lid (does it come with it?)?

- Can you email me higher res pics? (I'll PM you my email address if you're happy)

I reckon I can give it a go on my quintrex. Will set up the bait board to go into the rod holders on the quintrex. Not as strong - though I did replace them a few years ago with tough ones (it had silly plastic ones as standard that soon broke).

thanks again

Mike

I have hopefully just posted pictures (first go) of the bracket on the back of our quintrex and the bait tank we had fabricated to suit. We have only used a few times seems to work well at this stage.

Holds up to about 65 litres.

post-7223-1248079425_thumb.jpgpost-7223-1248079376_thumb.jpgpost-7223-1248079475_thumb.jpg

Edited by welst

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up Jason. The bayhunter has a removeable bait board attached to two rodholders over the back of the boat - very similar to Dave's one (check his photos).

Another pic of what it looks like is (not my boat, found on the web):

post-5225-1247916862_thumb.jpg

Mike

hi mate i was wondering if you knew where i could get a baitboard just like that one set up in the two rod holders.great idea and would fit my quintrex coast runner perfectly.