Forster 50 And 100 Years Ago

glennmreid

Today was the 50th birthday of the Forster-Tuncurry bridge, which opened on 18th July 1959. Today was a big day, with celebrations in both Forster and Tuncurry. When I was down at Forster checking out what was going on, I visted the historical society store. I bought some photos of what Forster and Tuncurry was like before the bridge was opened, and how people and vehicles were carried over by ferry. There is even a shot of the first ferry in 1886. A lady and her cart is been carried over, with the horses behind in the water. Hope you all enjoy.

post-3324-1247920723_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1247920752_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1247920766_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1247920787_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1247920803_thumb.jpg

Thanks for sharing these terrific photo's Glenn.

Some times it is great to see the shots of where we are fishing now, as they where in years gone bye.

It would be fantastic if you could find the same spots now and post the before and after pics.

Cheers

Mrs Flightmanager

A bit of Forster Tuncurry History, always like seeing old pics of what places looked like..

Thanks Glenn

Great old pics Glenn.

I could have sworn that that first picture is Roberta with the cart. :074::074:

Cheers,

Pete.

:074: Could be Roberta and her first boat, before her yak was invented. First shots of the Forster Predator.

:Funny-Post: Nice to know Roberta is still a good sort and only as young as she feels...

Talking about the change to Forster since the 50/s Glen, I hope they never short cut the lakes road or even fix the pot holes Glen as Forster will eventually become just another one of those over populated places on the coastline where tourism is everything and fishing is frowned upon in favour of surf boards and water sports....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

:Funny-Post: Nice to know Roberta is still a good sort and only as young as she feels...

Talking about the change to Forster since the 50/s Glen, I hope they never short cut the lakes road or even fix the pot holes Glen as Forster will eventually become just another one of those over populated places on the coastline where tourism is everything and fishing is frowned upon in favour of surf boards and water sports....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I too do hope Forster doesn't become like that Byron. The lakes road is still bendy, full of potholes. But it is a very scenic drive. Fishing and boating is still very much part of Forster, and I do hope it stays that way.

hahaha I forgot the 'celebrations' were on this weekend ..... I went to Newcastle on Fri to fish Lake Macq yesterday! Came back late last night & couldn't work out why there were so many cars still around the place ..... put it down to the school holidays!

Roberta