South Head Flattys

jason baker

Hi Guys,

Was a beautiful day on Tuesday so decided to drop everything and take the boat for a spin.

I was going to take a spin up to Longreef or somewhere but it was a bit lumpy so decided to have a float around off south head.

Now I say the mysterious spot X has struck again because I don't even know where I was as my sounder is busted! Maybe 1 km off the head? Dunno.

So I pulled up in the mystery spot of mystery depth and had a go. To my suprise these fellas started coming in at regular intervals which made me very happy.

post-5963-1248301272_thumb.jpg

It was pretty rolly out there with the wind and the swell bouncing off the cliffs, but it dosent soom to matter when you are catching fish.

I was extremely relieved to be catching some fish, I estimate my last half dozen trips on the boat and on land have been for nix, this is not good for ones mental health, to say I was desperate would not be far from the truth.

Caught eight in total put two back to fight another day, kept these for a few dinners. Fish and chips last night, does it get any better?

Biggest was 48cm, one just smaller, the others around 40cm, all caught on pillies.

So I'm looking foward to getting out there again, maybe travelling a bit further afield. I usually go by myself so at the moment not prepared to travel too far on my Pat Malone. Having trouble finding a partner in crime. Also don't really know where to go.

Anyway I'm just stoked to get a few fish, was really starting to wonder.

Actually looks like a reasonable day today...

Cheers,

Jas.

post-5963-1248301323_thumb.jpg

PS. I boat from Putney and find it a little frustrating that the car park is full during the day but only two or three of the spaces are taken by boat trailers. I thought it was a fairly common practice to have a few spots set aside solely for boat trailers. This would be good, so you don't have to drive way up the street to park, especially when launching solo. Its a big car park a few designated boat spots would be good.

Edited by peschi boi

top efort jas and a good feed or three as for parking try whalf road i know it a bit further up river but they just gave the place a makeover with heaps off parking for boatys and a new cleaning table and drive through section that makes it one way all good improvments ,about time too

and i think they are going to put a walkway from the ramp to the potoon soon witch will make solo runs even easyer

cherrs gary