Design & Installation Ideas - Mounting A Minn Kota & A Windlass Off The Bow -

jewgaffer

Hi Raiders

I intend buying an Minn Kota 80lb Thrust Terova Electric Motor from Huey at Huett Marine up Mt Colah....

I would prefer mounting the Minn Kota to operate directly off the point of the bow of my side console boat........I prefer doing it this way, to avoid cutting the bow rail and mounting an electric motor to the side of the bow......

I would need to a have an adaptor plate made up for that as a permanent plate located just back from the front of the bow, the section for that would need to be in front of the anchor well which is showing in the middle photo below ...... I'll be having the permanent plate and the extension plate for the Minn Kota made up by Gary aka Brickman who has a metal fabrication factory and is also a sponsor of Fishraider......

In saying extension plate, it seems I might need an extension plate off the new fixed plate) to make that section and also the electric motor removable by using thumb screws off the main upright bolt threads that secure the new permanent plate, I'd say, so that the electric motor can be quickly removed or turned to the side maybe? when the anchor needs to be used ...

I'll have to see whether a (removable) windlass from South Pacific can be incorporated into the fixed plate and I need to know if a windlass can be easily removed out of the way when the Minn Kota is used......

I also need to know what to do about making sure that the rope will free fall ok back into a shallow anchor well without tangling up and requiring someone to be on hand to feed the rope into the anchor well during retrieve.... or would it be advisable to open up part of the anchor well and add a round cylinder type box perhaps to allow the anchor rope to fall into freely...

Here's a side on photo of my Savage and couple of front on photos taken By Geoff aka Geoff on Fishraider while Geoff was visiting me the other day... Thanks Geoff :thumbup:

post-829-1248405486_thumb.jpg

post-829-1248406626_thumb.jpg

post-829-1248406805_thumb.jpg

It's design ideas for the out the front mounting plates and also the function of the Electric in the hanging over the front position as pictured that I need help with and would like to hear your ideas about.....

Huey, Gary, and Bernadette from South Pacific, if you happen to see this post feel free to reply in a post if you wish..

I would appreciate help with design and installation ideas from members who have chosen to mount their electric motor in this manner or similiar, rather than having to cut the bow rail.... I believe Geoff aka Dalucius on Fishraider designed and made his own mounting plate for installing an electric motor directly out the front of his fibre glass boat, a half cabin boat I think it is...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Jewy, mate Gary at Seriously Stainless will easily be able to modify your bow to fit the new M/K. The starboard side bow rail will need to be modified and a plate large enough to fit the M/K quick release bracket welded on, but trust me I have seen the work they do over there and it is top shelf. The spray guards then will need to be modified but a trimmer can easily do that as well so mate get the boat to Gary and let the boys there do what they do best and then we can fit the M/K. I ran a 80Lb M/K Terrova the other day on an 18 foot centre console and it easily pulled that boat around and as mentioned to you that auto-pilot feature M/K have I really like.

Cheers,

Huey.

gees byron you like to make things complicated :074: mate anything is possible how about making the mini kota pivot sidways so you do'nt have to cut your hand rails and mount the fixed plate to one side off the frount that way you could leave the windlass fixes permantly

i think you need to get the koda and the windlass bring lunch and we will have a brains trust at the factory get sherl to make me some sandbo's to :biggrin2:

we can look at all options and come up with the best solution for your needs

cherrs gary

Hi Jewy, mate Gary at Seriously Stainless will easily be able to modify your bow to fit the new M/K. The starboard side bow rail will need to be modified and a plate large enough to fit the M/K quick release bracket welded on, but trust me I have seen the work they do over there and it is top shelf. The spray guards then will need to be modified but a trimmer can easily do that as well so mate get the boat to Gary and let the boys there do what they do best and then we can fit the M/K. I ran a 80Lb M/K Terrova the other day on an 18 foot centre console and it easily pulled that boat around and as mentioned to you that auto-pilot feature M/K have I really like.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hey Huey, you know my boat, the Quintrex 500 Freedom Sport. I have been wondeing what size and what cost would I need to get an electric motor onto my boat.

Many Thanks

Dhutchy

Hey Huey, you know my boat, the Quintrex 500 Freedom Sport. I have been wondeing what size and what cost would I need to get an electric motor onto my boat.

Many Thanks

Dhutchy

Hi Dhutchy, on your boat you would be disappointed in the 55Lb Terrova, yes it would work in the ideal conditions, but any wind or current it would be useless. You need to look at saving the pennies and fitting the top of the line 80LB Terrova with all the cool features. I have sent you a PM with costs less any boat mods Gary would need to do.

Jewy, sounds like a good plan gary has suggested.

Cheers,

Huey.

Byron Other than the mechnical aspect , ie , the fitting of the winch , motor, keep in mind how & where the 2 X 12V batteries (as I understand 24V is required to obtain 80lb thrust) will be situated.

I think they will fit under the front deck but as we did not check that out in detail on Monday it should be done prior to committing $$$$ to the actual motor / winch.

Geoff

Byron Other than the mechnical aspect , ie , the fitting of the winch , motor, keep in mind how & where the 2 X 12V batteries (as I understand 24V is required to obtain 80lb thrust) will be situated.

I think they will fit under the front deck but as we did not check that out in detail on Monday it should be done prior to committing $$$$ to the actual motor / winch.

Geoff

Just a further thought , if your running the batteries in series to create 24V for the motor there may be a problem cabeling 12V from the same batteries for the winch.

There may be someone on FR who can advise , if not suggest you consult an electrical expert , eg an auto electricion to see if you run both 24V & 12V off the same batteries

An alternative may be to run the motor of the 24V system located in the front of the boat & cable the 12V for the winch from the existing boat batteries located down the rear

Geoff

Geoff

Many Thanks

Dhutchy

Hi Dutchy the way these hi tech lures are performing these days it would pay everyone who has a suitable boat to buy an an electric motor and buy one which also has enough power and enough battery power to be used as an auxilliary which is what I intend to do for my 15 1/2' boat instead of having to buy an auxilliary in case the main motor wont start etc.... I've also decided that it is necessary to keep up with the times and fish more often holding the boat around one section at a time and to be able to move around quietly and then move off quickly and easily and try the next likely looking spot when the bite goes off....

By the way Dhutchy, Huey's deal is the best deal I could find on a Minn Kota and having a top electric motor such as the Terova and a good set up can only add more value to a good fishing boat....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: