Looking For Seasoned Travellers

mrsswordfisherman

Thanks you are giving me what I need to know. Might go back to Thailand :biggrin2:

Like Asian destinations that are not overdone. I am well travelled but not been to Malaysia for a long time. How about Penang? Like to stay away from the madness but close enough to go if we want.

I have been to Hawaii a couple of times.

Too expensive, too commercial, its like Surfer's on steroids.

Langkawi is great but can get commercial depending on where you go.

What did you need to know?

Tan, is Pantai Cenang ok or would Kuah be better

Went to Hawaii October last year.....every single person we spoke to said we would love it..... unfortunately we didnt....what are you wanting to know?

So Waikiki is out I spose - looks like GC on steroids (as tan puts it)

Last time I was in Wakiki was 20 years ago - and then it was packed 24 hrs a day.

Highlight of our trip was that I managed to save the lives of my sister - then 7 - and my Dad then 40ish who were washed out bout 500m from shore. I was 10 and a buddying lifesaver at the time. I got my stripes when we returned and Dad told my coach.

I did stay for 3 nights on a stopover 3 years ago - I couldn't wait to get home! nothing had changed.

At the moment Thailand is cheaper than Malaysia so I would go to Thailand, try the southern tip of Phuket - the bit that sticks out into the Andaman Sea - its not like the rest of the island and more 'local' than 'tourist'.

The Evason Phuket has awesome deals - that is top shelf but there are others that are cheaper.

Edited by tan the fisherman

Donna Went to Hawaii last year with wife & family. It was OK but as others have said , for me , would not go back.

It depends what your interested in , the family had a good time Diana & the girls (3) spent a fair bit of time shopping & lazing around the pool.

Penang / Langkawi. I worked in Penang for around 3 months in the late 90's so managed to see just about everything inc Langkawi.

Penang , the southern end tends to be a mix of country , industrial & residential. Georgetown a bit further north is the main CBD & the top end is Batu Feringgi (BF) which is the main touriest resort.

B.F. is a bit isolated so if staying in that area suggest hiring a car , there not expensive & provides the mobility to go where you want when you want inc a trip to the main land if you wish.

Langkawi , I did a day trip which inc an island tour. In essence Langkawi is a mini Penang. There is an interesting story for that situation. If in the area then would reccomend Langkawi be on your list.

There is lots to see & do so if interested , let me know can provide further info

The other suggestion is China. Spent a fair bit of time working & site seeing in China , again during the late 90's. If your interested in the history & culture with some shopping , there is lots to see & do.

Can provide more info if China is on your option list

Regards

Geoff

Donna Went to Hawaii last year with wife & family. It was OK but as others have said , for me , would not go back.

It depends what your interested in , the family had a good time Diana & the girls (3) spent a fair bit of time shopping & lazing around the pool.

Penang / Langkawi. I worked in Penang for around 3 months in the late 90's so managed to see just about everything inc Langkawi.

Penang , the southern end tends to be a mix of country , industrial & residential. Georgetown a bit further north is the main CBD & the top end is Batu Feringgi (BF) which is the main touriest resort.

B.F. is a bit isolated so if staying in that area suggest hiring a car , there not expensive & provides the mobility to go where you want when you want inc a trip to the main land if you wish.

Langkawi , I did a day trip which inc an island tour. In essence Langkawi is a mini Penang. There is an interesting story for that situation. If in the area then would reccomend Langkawi be on your list.

There is lots to see & do so if interested , let me know can provide further info

The other suggestion is China. Spent a fair bit of time working & site seeing in China , again during the late 90's. If your interested in the history & culture with some shopping , there is lots to see & do.

Can provide more info if China is on your option list

Regards

Geoff

Thanks Geoff - China is an option yes.

Donna

We went to Maui in Hawaii July last year and loved it, not sure what everyone elses problem with it was. Great resort, nice people, pretty good fishing and we are planning to go back at some point.

The most exotic place i ever went was the subcontinent in the early 1980's. India, Nepal and Sri Lanka. When we were in Lanka a civil war broke out.

You can see mountains, massive rivers and cities so big its hard to comprehend. They got deserts, jungles you name it they got it.

Its not everyones cup of tea thats for sure but of all the places i have been that is the journey that i most remember.

Its more of an adventure than a relaxing holiday although there is plenty of resorts you can kick back and do bugger all if required.

It is hot, and at times the sheer mass of humanity can be too much. Its hectic and chaotic.

On that i went to Fiji last year and absolutly loved it. People were great, food, accomodation, fishing all was good and extremely relaxing.

China is worth a visit for sure. Went to HK and Shanghai.

Cheers