Downrigger Question

spence

I have a 10lb bomb and want to rig it up on my tinnie. I wouldn't use it often as I mainly fish for estaury fish but i do on occasion fish the harbour buoys and markers with livies. I was going to buy an Alvey reel but am wondering if it would be strong enough, I think it would have to be a large snapper Alvey which are expensive. AN alvey would be easy to attach to a rail on my boat. But I am now thinking of simply tying it off with some rope that I would mark every 5 metres. (I usually take a fishing partner in the harbour wo there a spare hands to pull it up). Any thoughts or anyone else who has done something like this would be helpful thanks rod.

yes it can be done you need an alvey with a lever drag so you can lock it up nice and tight and a cheapy stiff game rod and some 80lb mono or braid. rope causes to much drag and the bomb wont hang straight

the formula you need to work out how much line you have out is as follows

diameter off spool x 3.1415 gives you how much line per turn

a 6 inch alvey fully spooled will let out about 18 inches per turn for example

the only hassel is winding the bomb up you need to hold the spool release the leaver drag and wind up then reset the drag

hope this helps but i think you will find down rigging is over rated a good way to find the fish but not always the best way to catch them

cherrs gary

Hey Guys,

you can get a name brand Sc**** downrigger off the net out of the USA for around 3 hundred bucks- landed, includes all the gear downrigger, cable, release clip... everything except the bomb and theyll handle 15lb according to the manual.

About the same as a big ALv* with the line and a clip and a mount????

PM me and i can give you details

Chris

Im thinking the same. I want to use 100lb mono on a hand reel with 7 to 10lb bomb. I am only thinking of using this set up in strong current, not for trolling. (ie juno) Will this work? And what shape of bomb would be best? Also what kind of quick release would suit this application. Any advice appreciated

a rubber band the thick ones that are about 5 mm wide will do as a quick release thats what they use on out riggers chasing marlin

cherrs gary

Thanx Gary, just what I needed to hear, That will work out just fine.... Right, now where is that big jewie. come to papa