Suprise Guest

fisherdad

This morning we set off dragging lures out of Botany Bay. As we passed the heads we saw many whales breaching and having a great time. We pulled the lures in and watched from a distance.

After 1/2 and hour we tried bottom bashing off north Botany Head. After 15 Mins my Wife hooks a fish and thats when it all began. As the fish came towards the surface we could see other Colours in the water, we hoped it was a King fish with his friends following.

Then the colours in the water appeared too large for a King fish and we became concerned that it could be a shark. These colurs appeared from under the boat moving out to the port side. My wife quickly wound in the mongrel leather jacket saving it from what we believed to be a shark. The size of the Colours grew and we all took a step back from the side in case what we thought to be a shark saw us as snack.

Seconds later the surface parted as the first of 2 whales breached less than 10 ft from the boat. With excitment and concern mixed togather it was all over as they moved on.

It takes time to describe what took less than 30 seconds to occurr leaving all on board wondering if the whales were just playing games with the humans.

This prompts the question, Do whales hit boats or do boats it whales.

Fisherdad, Melissa and Fisherboy.

post-6888-1248599192_thumb.jpg

Amazing David!

That is very close. You must have been gobsmacked. :1yikes:

They can be very inquisitive at times & sometimes seem to put on a show when some boats are around.

I've never heard of them hitting a boat but know a few boaties that have ran into them.

A bloke at Evans Head recently had one wrap in his anchor rope. He was moving at a great rate of knots when he managed to cut the rope!

Cheers,

Grant.

sounds like a scary trip

i was once spinning for salmon off our boat and a 8 foot bronzie came from under our boat and just about hit my lure i had my feet hanging over the edge thats the last time my feet ever go over

cameron

This may be way out in left field but wonder if it may have been a whale not a wave that came up under the 6mt boat that capsized in Bate Bay a few days ago

Geoff

Quite possibly.

I didn't think the swell was that big that night.

Quite possibly.

I didn't think the swell was that big that night.

Geoff,

Remember last year or maybe 2 years ago now the baby whale that hung around a yacht for weeks thinking it was its mother? Eventually NPWS had to euthanize it becasue it was starving to death. That incident proved whales are attracted to boats so its not far fetched to suggest a whale could have been responsible for the Bate Bay capsizing.

Some of you may remember two experienced fishos Gary Chapman and Ron Nelson who tragically perished at sea on a fishing trip in 1978. Their bodies were never recovered but the boat was found capsized off Maroubra with a huge dent in the side. Gary was an ex Commonwealth Games swimmer and a very experienced and safety conscious fisherman. Their disappearance is still a mystery.

Be careful out there.

Greg

I have always believed the whales know you are there.....have had many seem to come and check us out b4 moving on....we used to have 3 or 4 boats anchored within shouting distance of each other and the whales would pop up in the middle of us all....sometimes seeming to follow the anchor ropes up?.... imo its just another thing to be aware of whilst on the ocean